Lifestyle Claims

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is wrong. Its certainly a sale reason that claims companies often use but there isnt any truth to it.

I was not aware of this. Forgive my naivity. Could you be more specific about how it's wrong?

The increasing of credit limits was an internet myth. Possibly actually started by Cartel but then copied by the others. The various cases that have tried to use that as an excuse have failed.
    So how would you personally suggest people reclaim their money, in light of how the banks have been known to both ignore and fob customers off with paltry offerings by cheque which count as a settlement if they pay it into their bank? I know this website has a template letter but what's the success rate of that? And how does one ensure they're getting the full amount back?

The use of a claims company doesnt improve your chances of success. Too many rely on standard template letters of the ilk that you see on the internet and even the FOS have admitted that template letters get a lower success rate than personalised letters. Plus, many firms automatically try harder to reject complaints companies complaints than personalised complaints. The problem with claims companies is not the theory behind what they are doing as paying a company to provide a service is not bad. Its the implementation of it and they way claims companies do little more than send a template letter and also encourage people with no valid complaint to try it on. The bad apples seem to outnumber the good ones.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • copperpots
    Options
    Having viewed all previous posts with great interest, I don't feel quite so alone. I parted with £342 in September and despite the e-mails, letters and phone calls since, I haven't received my money back, nor do I expect to now. I feel extremely stupid and let down....
  • RumRunner
    Options
    I hear everything that everyone's saying but has anyone ever received a refund when they've changed their mind and confirmed it in writing within the 14 day notice period? I'm still waiting despite the MoJ having written a letter to Lifestyle Claims on my behalf 2 weeks ago. I'm going to claim through my credit card company.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    As I have said on another thread, if you want to complain about PPI you only need to write and tell the firm that sold it to you. If you do not get a satisfactory response within 8 weeks in most cases you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service by completing its form.

If you find the form too daunting you can call FOS and ask them to fill it in for you, for free, over the phone.

Some cases cannot be dealt with by FOS but the claims management companies will not nomally go to court for you anway.

So the benefts of using a claims management company to reclaim PPI costs can be counted on the finger of one finger and you'll still have a finger left over.
  • RumRunner
    Options
    It's a shame you can't use the FOS to claim money back from Lifestyle Claims, hence the credit card option.
  • CFrog
    CFrog Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without going through each response, I agree with everything that Dunstonh has written in response to Peacockharris; as a current or former employee of Lifestyle Claims, Peacockharris has obviously got a vested interest in 'fighting their corner'.

One point I will make is that the MoJ rules are quite clear on fees; the 'Conduct of Authorised Persons' Rules (Rule 15) and another MoJ 'note of warning' that states no up-front fees should be taken. To my mind, this includes the £352 Lifestyle Claims took from myself (on the back of a phone call and an email setting out a 'Pre-Contract Agreement') allegedly for 'Administration'.

Again, the Moj were quite clear when the fees should be taken; fees should be taken after the 14 day cooling off period which starts from the date at which the documentation is signed by the client, not at the time the call is taken.

As posted above, I was advised to contact Lifestyle Claims requesting a return of my payment and copy all documentation to the MoJ at [EMAIL="consumersupport.cmu@staffordshire.gov.uk"]consumersupport.cmu@staffordshire.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
  • L61kvo
    L61kvo Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2011 at 6:43AM
    Options
    Has anyone heard of

life style money . net

Im sure they were called life style claims before christmas.

I have been having phone calls from them before christmas, and not by the number on their website but a 01792 number.

Its the same lady all the time.

Today she rang again, going through how my mortgage may have been misold - with broker fees and ppi (im 90% sure i did not take ppi out)

She said tha things like over borrowing, or having a mortgage tied unless I pay fees (which I did not pay)

Any thoughts would be great, she says she want £399 + vat from me to a claim worth £4500 can be made - sounds nice, but is it??

I have not paid a penny and not sure that I will - I dont have over £400 just laying around anyhow.

Thank you for any advise

PS if this is a scam - whats the best way so i can never be called again
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for any advise

Read the thread and you will have your answers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • L61kvo
    edited 28 January 2011 at 6:43AM
    Options
    Yeah I had, was wondering if it was a different company - I dont go for pressure selling and I never will.

The more I think about the more I just want to forget about it.

Like others im sure - part of me is worried about be scammed and the other part of me is worried about losing a few £000s repayment.

Still nothing is free and im sure I be better off just forgetting about it.
  • L61kvo
    Options
    My head is a bit clearer now.

I did something which I think may have been good idea - as its easy to make a claim yourself anyway.

I spoke to my mortgage company and their PPI company - and there are no records showing that I took out ppi.

Now yes they could say that so I do not make a claim, but im sure I did not take it out anyway 5 years ago.

So unless something else comes to light or a claims company agrees to make a claim with no money upfront, and only when the cheque has cleared do I pay a fee.

I will be happy knowing I have not wasted any money till then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure