Moving a gas meter outside

2»

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    for those who do not know MET1 is a the qualification and the licenced to do code you would need to see on their gas safe details in order for them to be permitted to touch the meter and the MAM is the meter asset manager who is responsible for the meter - you would have to speak to the gas supplier for them to sort out that permission.

There are very few gas safe registered installers with this - https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk and I get the impression most would rather not get involved due to the red tape involved with such.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lemontart
    Forumite
    forgetso wrote: »
    Hi,

If I change gas suppliers can I get the meter moved for free?

Thanks

No is the simple answer this is a chargeable job regardless of who is your supplier as it is not them that do the work as it involves the incoming supply which is not theirs to touch.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Hello Folks,

Bumping this thread because I've a similar query & you chaps seem to know whats what. I would like to turn a gas fireplace back into an open fireplace but the gas meter several feet or stone away from it. How close is too close? Would I have to move the meter outside too?

Many thanks

TP
  • lemontart
    Forumite
    Yes it is possible to have a no flexible inlet from the ECV to the regulator inlet provided that such a pipe is marked as carrying gas (tape) and there is a label on the meter indicating the location of the ECV. It isnt that commonplace,but the regulations do allow it. The only issue might be that to be 100% correct,you should seek the permission of the MAM (meter asset manager) before working on their meter.

A meter could easily be relocated for example,back to back from its existing position,in a standard outside meter box for a fraction of the cost of excavation/service alteration.
    if that happens gsi;s etc call it in for a check for safety........
  • Hi and sorry to bring this up again!

I am needing to move the gas meter from the internal wall of my house to the same wall but externally. Can I use a GasSafe engineer to do this or do I need to go to Northern Gas Network?

Thanks to all that reply.
  • lemontart
    Forumite
    You need to go to northern gasworks if that is your gas network as it would involve moving the emergency control valve
  • lemontart wrote: »
    You need to go to northern gasworks if that is your gas network as it would involve moving the emergency control valve

And if the ECV stayed where it was but the meter was moved?
  • lemontart
    Forumite
    jaygee80 wrote: »
    And if the ECV stayed where it was but the meter was moved?

as already mentioned in the post there is a lot of red tape to go through i.e. permission from the gas supplier to allow someone other than the gas net work to touch the meter i,e move it - read through my earlier posts in this thread.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    lemontart wrote: »
    as already mentioned in the post there is a lot of red tape to go through i.e. permission from the gas supplier to allow someone other than the gas net work to touch the meter i,e move it - read through my earlier posts in this thread.

Which isnt going to happen
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure