PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The mystery of yeast

2»

Comments

• I find homemade bread doesn't rise as much as commercial bread, and it varies from day to day for me as well - I think the warmth of the kitchen (or lack of warmth at this time of year!) makes a difference, as does how much water the flour absorbs - which is also a variable!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I find that warming the floor and other ingredients helps with a good rise also ...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 December 2014 at 10:46AM
    scotnan wrote: »
    Well I did it and am really pleased with the results :j thank you all so much for your help everyone especially peachyprice for your easy to follow instructions. One tiny thing I was a bit disappointed with was it didn't rise much after it went into the oven, no idea why as I followed the instructions to the letter, used fresh packet of yeast and made sure the water was warm (105○) and not hot. Anyway it didnt really matter as the taste and texture were perfect so again thank you.

Bread doesn't rise in the oven like a cake, it stays about the same the size it is when you put it in.

I usually leave mine until it reaches the size I want rather to a set time, the time it takes varies depending on the temp of the house and also the moisture in the air. If I've used the tumble drier I pop the dough in the drum once the washing has finished, that always brings it up a treat :D Or I leave it next to the radiator if the heating is on.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • scotnan
    scotnan Posts: 636 Forumite
    Ooh good so it looks like I didn't do anything wrong after all. The taste and texture were great so I wasn't too worried just thought I might have done something wrong or missed something out.

Made two loaves yesterday and it's all gone now so it was a great success.

Thanks again everyone
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It helpful to remember that yeast is a living organism... so just like us, it doesn't work well if it's too hot or too cold. That's why recipes will tell you to use water that's roughly body temperature. I also find bread takes longer to rise this time of year when my kitchen is cold
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport