so far.... (advice needed)

well i've been here nearly a month. i've been paid, and for the first time in maybe 5 years haven't gone into overdrawn at the bank :j

that's the good news. i've been doing my diary and can see where my money goes. I have been really restrained this month (for me), but have still managed to spend more than i'd accounted for.

£136.09 on going out (ie meals, cinema, parking etc.). This is for a family of 4. I don't suppose it's a lot £31.41 per week, but i hadn't included it on my SOA. Can anybody tell me what they spend on 'entertainment'. What is a reasonable amount to spend?

Spent £34.50 on petrol (only budgeted for £20), but did do a lot more driving around as was off work for 1 week.

Did really well on the food challenge - spent £171.54 (had allowed £200)

Spent £50.04 on presents - again something I hadn't accounted for.

And £154 on birthday party for ds (it was booked pre DFW - will not be doing that again).

Spent £74 on clothes for me ds and dd (not on SOA) - how much is necessary here?

Had to pay £92.83 on my catalogue :eek: Had forgotten about this and wasn't on my original SOA. Have about £30 to pay next month.

Another thing I'd forgotten about was work expenses - £49.41 I get them back but have to pay up front. I find this really hard to manage - has anyone any tips? I don't think a credit card would work as they are usually small amounts (and anyway I could do without another credit card).

Apart from that the rest was in my original budget. I made some extra money by doing overtime and matched betting so am doing ok - just about. It has been a real struggle and i have been a bit down about it the last couple of days. I'm not sure i can go on like this, but of course i have to. the lightbulb moment has really hit home now.

I'm really hoping it will get easier.
Proud to be dealing with my debts

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 295

Comments

• Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Hi shoe

Well done for not going overdrawn - I'm very envious.

I've kept a full spending diary for the first time this month as well. I'm not sure how much use it is to compare, when we don't know each other's circumstances, but just in case its of interest here is my spending in the same categories as yours:

going out - £17 - tickets for a gig for 2 daughters. Otherwise we didn't go out except for walks in the park.

Diesel - £90 - eek! Had budgetted for £40! Shows how out of touch I am. OH has to drive a fair bit for work.

Food - £274.18 (family of six) - how did you get it so low!

Presents - £54.02 (my, OH and DD's birthdays plus one child's birthday, and I got 8 cookery books for a fiver, one used as present for my sister so 7 left for future presents). I also managed three other presents by recycling ones I'd received.

Birthday outing for daughter - £72.70 - like you, booked before DFW

Clothes - £43 - much needed underwear, shoes and school uniform for kids, all sale prices

Something you didn't include - pocket money for kids - £35.73

Work expenses - I just count them as my own expenditure so it feels like bonus money when they get paid.

So more than you in some areas, less in others, and about the same in some.

I feel low too. I don't think we can cut much back further (and would like to spend more on going out/entertainment!) I think the key for us is earning more, rather than spending less, so will have to make a big effort on that front.

Best of luck with it all
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• shoe1206
    shoe1206 Posts: 79 Forumite
    thanks for your reply seaxwyn (I was begining to feel a bit ignored)

I think perhaps i did spend a bit much on 'entertainment', more walks in the park for me next month! Clothes will have to be cut back on too.

Our food bill is for a family of 4 it works out about £45 a week, so quite similar to your family of 6.

Our kids are 5 and 6 so don't have pocket money just yet (thankfully).

So perhaps there is a bit more I can cut back on, but you're right - i need more coming in.

Thanks again for your reply

• justruth
    justruth Posts: 770 Forumite
    on the credit card question for work related expenses, as this would be paid in full at the end of each month, it mght be a good idea to get a cashback card. If you pay it off in full every month when you get the expenses back you dont pay any interest and you will make a few pence back. Just a suggestion. Other than that a presents box works for me, and / or family get something home made. Try to enter lots of comps to win good presents, if you see something suitable really cheap you can get it in ready.

On the clothes front, that seems a heck of a lot to me, perhaps encourage the children to stop growing or something?!?
    Debt £5600 all 0%
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Hi shoe - don't feel ignored, there's just so much traffic on this board that threads very quickly slip down the list.

I agree with justruth - clothes is probably the main area where you can cut back if you're spending that much every month. Have you joined freecycle? I've got lots of children's clothes that way. I did a rough estimate for six months of last year and think I spent an average of £21.48 per month on clothes for me and four kids.
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• shoe1206
    shoe1206 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Hi

thanks to for all your replies. I don't (think) I normally spend £74 a month on clothes, but both kids needed shoes and i couldn't resist the sales. Aim to spend £0 next month, as i really don't think we need anything. When I get a bit more used to this budget thing, I'll hopefully try and put a bit aside for clothes.

Present box sounds like a great idea. I'm sick of always being on the last minute for these things and then spending more than i planned.

Still not sure about the work expense credit card. do I really trust myself? mmm probably not. Perhaps in a couple of months, when i'm more used to it all.

Feeling a lot better now. Also have made £62 on ebay - with at least £49 to come in 2 hours. :j Athough not listed anything today when i had planned to. Still there's always tommorow......

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family