Places to buy music?

Hi

I am wanting to buy some albums on mp3 but not finding many places that sell them. I've checked Amazon but its a lot more expensive than buying the physical CD from other stores. What other sites are good to check? I used to use the MSE tune checker but it doesn't work now.

I also found plenty of Russian sites with cheap music but I don't think they pay anything to the artist so don't want to line the pockets of some Russians effectively stealing peoples music.
Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 December 2014 at 9:43PM
    Google play
    ITunes
    Sainsburys.co.UK do mp3s
    Napster of course but its a subscription service or you can pay for each track

Maybe check the link below, might give some ideas.
    http://www.theguardian.com/arts/netmusic/page/0,,1127237,00.html
  • hucki
    hucki Posts: 10 Forumite
    I've found that most of the time it's actually cheaper to buy a physical CD and rip the mp3s. You can get used CDs on eBay and other sites (like Amazon Marketplace) for like £2/3 :)
  • hucki wrote: »
    I've found that most of the time it's actually cheaper to buy a physical CD and rip the mp3s. You can get used CDs on eBay and other sites (like Amazon Marketplace) for like £2/3 :)

I've bought CD from Amazon then you get the download in their cloud service
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Agree with the other poster, for established artists/older albums eBay for CD to mp3 route is often cheapest.

For new bands mp3s Bandcamp can be good.
  • puppey
    puppey Posts: 86 Forumite
    I often check out charity shops or boot sales to find some bargains, and some CDs you won't find in the stores!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Google Play have had various albums at 99p over the Christmas period.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    puppey wrote: »
    I often check out charity shops or boot sales to find some bargains, and some CDs you won't find in the stores!

It's probably illegal, but I've bought CDs from charity shops, ripped them onto a hard drive, cleaned up/replaced the boxes and brought them back to the charity shop.

This is the way I've found Tom Jones and Jools Holland have made an album together. I love it. :D

There is some good stuff if you've got the time and are prepared to look.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    I just got a Samsung phone and I'm surprised at how good Google Play is for music compared to anyone else. Yesterday I downloaded Kelly Clarksons greatest hits for free!!
    Sam Smith current album is £3.99 on Google Play whereas the disc is around £7 in stores. Singles are the same price as others with regards to mp3 prices but the albums are great value for money!
  • logi79
    logi79 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thank you for the information
  • iTunes
    Spotify
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts