The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Good afternoon :hello:

beanie your vibes worked, thanks love! :D The retailer was very, very accommodating and I think has sorted me out with something far better than I had plumped for originally, and it didn't cost me any extra. If it all works out (not had chance to try it yet), I shall certainly be dropping a line of thank you and huzzah for good service to the HO bods :D

EH - the only thing is, if our electrician will do the work - given my luck with trades, that can't be a foregone conclusion - is that we know he charges fairly. Which doesn't mean it'll be cheap, but neither will we be ripped off.

joeyjimbles - I remember Nigella doing that to gnocchi too! And funnily enough was wondering what to do with the second packet - not to get 'rid', and they are perfectly fine boiled, but it's nice to have options, isn't it?

Cheery - pah to illness! Had I got more room in the freezer, I would make you a range of 'smoothie' based lollies with mangoes, pineapple, coconut, avocadoes - all the nice things to taste without inflaming your throat further. I agree with you entirely about DIY to a 'point'. DH would change a fuse in a consumer unit, but wouldn't attempt to change a fuse board - even though the electrical bits & bobs shop was willing to sell him one :eek: Better to know your limitations i think Besides, I'm sure if we ever rent out/sell this house, we'd have to prove that the consumer unit was safe/fitted by a certified person anyhow. Might as well bite the bullet now.

i've still not decided what to have fer us tea.

Today has been a funny day. In one way I've made great strides, but it took time to sort out, and in other ways, I've achieved nowt. Baby Greying is currently fighting taking a nap. They had about 20 minutes earlier where they literally zonked out (on the floor), but I think they need a bit longer. Will try lying them down. see if they take the hint :D Then i'll think about tea :D

Ta for popping in and chatting with me. Appreciated :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great news :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Good Morning :hello:

Sorry for no pic of me tea last night. PB was, surprise, surprise, playing silly b's again - same this morning - and judging by the angry responses on the website blog, it ain't just me encountering problems.......

Anyway, we had a falafel (hm) salad bowl with brown rice, speciality (?) broccoli from mrL PoTW (69p) and tahini, miso, citrus dressing. sunflower, pumpkin, nigella and sesame seeds with chopped walnuts scattered over. And a mAgnuM icey cream for dessert :D

Tonight's tea will not be pizza (sorry rtandon!), because I've made (tastes better made 1 day in advance), a vegetarian guiness stew. Which I hope to serve with buttery mash (will lamorma co-operate?) and maybe some cabbage if I can find summat fairly priced :D

I've a ton of tidying up to do - things have really slipped this week, what with one thing and another :(

I've got to write a note to a pal, get a photocopy done and maybe some pictures printed.

So better get my tail-feathers-a-shifting! :D

Ta for popping in and for your ongoing encouragement. Appreciated :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...I've a ton of tidying up to do - things have really slipped this week, what with one thing and another :(...

Tidying is highly over-rated!;)

Entropy is where it is at!!!:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2017 at 5:13PM
    Nope, t'ain't someone's centenary, but PB has deigned to allow me to upload a pic of Thursday night's tea :j

So, without further ado - here it is;

099_zpswxbpqm6g.jpg

Tea last night was the veggie guiness stew, with mash (quite nice, very 'dry' - no matter how much butter/milk you added) and green beans, as I couldn't find a cabbage at the right price point. No pic, as we were racing round like loons trying to do chores, look after baby, feed ourselves etc etc.

Tea tonight will be fush, chups and mushy peas so that we can watch the rugger :j

We've been out today, we went to a local market town, dropped off some stuff at a chazza, picked up some bits and bobs at the local whole foods shop (resisted beluga lentils on this occasion!) and I finally got round to investing the £10 that I found on a pavement a few weeks ago on some UHT milk for the foodbank. mrS still sell cartons that have screw lids, which I think is helpful and so they get my money, rather than the shops that sell the product slightly cheaper, but in cartons that won't close. Because there were 2 of us and we were near the car park, I bulk bought 3x 6packs, and I'll take cartons round to the FB each week in 'carryable' numbers. Not quite as generous as previously, but what we can afford to give at the moment - in terms of energy and time.

We then went to a local spot and hooked up with a relatively new friend, drank coffee, ate cake and generally had a nice time. We were going to fit in a walk, but the weather changed, so we ate our sangers and hm 'sausage' rolls at a nice spot. And then came on home again :D

Right, there is a cup of tea with my name on it somewhere abouts. Best go and track it down.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    mmmm - looks lush as always - scrolled back to read the description!

How do you cook your falafels GP? Are they baked, pan-fried, deep-fried? I've never managed to get them to stay intact & cooked through unless I make them tiny - the size of a pound coin - always very envious of lush large intact falafels!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
  • rtandon27 wrote: »
    How do you cook your falafels GP?

Ay up rtandon! Yes, I always pan fry mine - and always from frozen (same with any type of burger I make). I've only ever tried deep frying falafel once (I don't 'do' deep fat frying, too scared!), and mine fell to pieces the minute they went in the oil, so I've just fried them ever since.

They sometimes go very brown on the outside, and are only just warm enough in the centre, but I'd rather that than setting myself or the kitchen on fire :eek::rotfl:
    PS - Sorry about the size of the picture everyone - i HAVE tried to edit it, but it seems like PB is still playing sily B's and even though it says the file is shrunk, it clearly isn't!

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    Oh GP - you are a woman of many culinary talents - I now have falafel envy knowing that those were pan- fried! :D

(and pic is normal size on both my laptop screen and phone)

Happy Sunday!
  • Good Morning :hello:

Thanks rtandon - I reloaded the pic, and resized it, and it hadn't reset immediately. However, I see that it has now - thank goodness, I know how irritaiting oversized pics can be for people's enjoyment of threads on MSE.

Gosh, where did yesterday go? We enjoyed ourselves, but it was a blur.

Well played Ireland in the rugger - thoroughly deserved win. You took the game to England and, quite frankly, owned it - bravo! I gave up watching the France v Wales game - it was excruciating. Scrums have just become a farce.

DH let me have a lie-in this morning, for which I'm very grateful, but usually once I'm awake, I don't get back to sleep easily, and it's not been restorative. But I greatly, greatly appreciate the gesture - and it's enough of a mum's day pressie for me :D No need for some marketing persons idea of what I 'should' receive :D

Chores, chores, chores as long as our arms on the agenda today. And I've no idea about tea - possibly curry as I've the aubergines to utilise. We should sneak in a visit to the parentals too...... no wonder days fly :rotfl:

Right, I've come to the end of my coffee, so best go and tag in for DH - and look after darling BG (no hardship :D), and I'll attempt to update my household accounts at the same time :D

Thanks for popping by and joining in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,693 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Have a good day Greying :hello: Always good to hear what you've been up to. Feel like I've been hibernating this week but I'm going to be inspired by your tasty food and make something other than pizza to eat today :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure