Any reason to keep standard def channels if you have HD version?

Hi

I am looking into getting a freesat box (ideally programmable to set the channel order).

On the channel order I would like to put the HD channels in place of the standard def channels and perhaps even do away with the standard def channels altgoether.

Is there any reason to keep the SD? IS hd unreliable during bad weather or something?

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 11:04AM
    Do away with Dave !! and Quest ! just to get a slightly sharper picture..no thanks.
    HD does not change at all for me whatever the weather throws at it, but I have Freeview not Freesat.
    IMO BBC s HD is nt as good as ITVS and Sky s is the best but they charge you a lot more a month for it.
    TVs vary a lot. I have the last of the Panasonic plasmas made and its better than any LCD display I ve seen
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items. I think for regional non news programs you end up with whatever London gets.
  • unforeseen wrote: »
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items. I think for regional non news programs you end up with whatever London gets.
    Yes, how long can it take for the regional news to buy a few Hi Def cameras and update. Its been at least 7 years now having to switch from BBC on 101 to channal 1 at 6.30 pm to receive local news in dull old non HD.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 10:30AM
    Hi

I am looking into getting a freesat box (ideally programmable to set the channel order).

On the channel order I would like to put the HD channels in place of the standard def channels and perhaps even do away with the standard def channels altgoether.

Is there any reason to keep the SD? IS hd unreliable during bad weather or something?

Last week you were buying a Linux box!

Anyway, I live in the Thames Valley North TV region but ITV 1 HD is Meridian East to get Meridian Thames Valley and Hampshire I have to select ITV 1 SD for local news and if wanted adverts.

BBC 1 HD shows trailers not news during local news transmissions, local news is shown on BBC 1 SD.
  • unforeseen
    Yes, how long can it take for the regional news to buy a few Hi Def cameras and update. Its been at least 7 years now having to switch from BBC on 101 to channal 1 at 6.30 pm to receive local news in dull old non HD.

It's not the regions not having hd cameras it's the BBC in general not setting up their transmission system in a similar way to ITV to enable regional various on the HD channel
  • unforeseen wrote: »
    It's not the regions not having hd cameras it's the BBC in general not setting up their transmission system in a similar way to ITV to enable regional various on the HD channel
    Thank you, so the BBC in general is a bit short of cash, no wonder with over 250,000 in court 2015/2016 accused of licence fiddling with most probably a couple of million others robbing the BBC of legitimate money getting away with it.
    Its not fair on the honest majority who are not thieves that so many are "evading "
    I really hope that some electronic method is established to rid us all for good of these thieves and stop it in its tracks
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yet they put local news on the HD news channel, albeit in SD, but then you have to suffer the smaller pic/handsignals. So why can they just do that for the normal news?
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »

As I posted above not all ITV 1 regions are available in HD.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BBC HD doesn't carry regional news and other regional items

'BBC HD', the TV channel, is ancient history. BBC1 has local HD channels at least, and I think BBC2 does. BBC NI has news etc in HD (that's HD transmission, and HD cameras).

The HD channels are on the same 'signal' as the SD ones, whatever way you receive them. If you don't get the HD ones, you're unlikely to get the SD ones. The HD ones use more bandwidth but are more efficiently encoded than the SD ones. Either way, it's the same ones and zeros being received.

It would be nice to be able to reorder the channels and get the SD ones out of the way, and depending on your set top box, it's possible to an extent. Sky is very poor at doing this though, and about the best you can do is set up your list of 'Favourites'.
  • unforeseen
    almillar wrote: »

The HD channels are on the same 'signal' as the SD ones, whatever way you receive them. If you don't get the HD ones, you're unlikely to get the SD ones. The HD ones use more bandwidth but are more efficiently encoded than the SD ones. Either way, it's the same ones and zeros being received.

Only in the sense that there is a signal spread across a number of discrete frequencies from the satellite carrying a few hundred channels

The SD channels are split across 10733, 10788, 10803 & 10818 while the HD channels are on 10847 & 11023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure