PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    LOL yes those buses are pretty chatty places. Oh and BTW I'm pretty wrinkly meself!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    monna Your shopping sounds just like Ds's

He went for crates of real ale for himself, according to the leaflets at work Aldi is supposed to have boxes of beer. I give him a short list, washing up liquid ( don't buy the cheap stuff it's awful) yes he did, Cheese he forgot and wrong shampoo. but he also bought 2lbs of bacon (I have 2 KG in the fridge) and sausages. I have gone off chips and I am sick of his fry ups.

I still can't hardly walk but the pain is a lot better. I may make it to Mr M tomorrow because I could have done with your chicken. I shall have to get up early buy a chicken for dinner because I have appointments until Friday before I can go to market. A chicken will last a few days. I hope my trip to the Christie won't upset my joints again.

DS did not get his beer he has tried 2 other shops. I think they have next weeks leaflets.

Not noticed people moving once they get on the bus in this area. The bus is already pretty full of wrinkles when I get on. maryb
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,396 Forumite
    On the subject of bus passes we are entitled in Wales to get one at 60, however we cannot use them in England :(.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 October 2017 at 9:23PM
    I will be entitled to the elusive bus pass at the age of 68, in line with state pension age - hope I make it.... I will sit on a bus all day (within permitted hours) packed lunch and thermos in hand ;) Why - because I can..... :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    We can travel free anywhere in Scotland at 60, but once over the border we would have to pay full fare :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    I will be entitled to the elusive bus pass at the age of 68, in line with state pension age - hope I make it.... I will sit on a bus all day (within permitted hours) packed lunch and thermos in hand ;) Why - because I can..... :D

Ah! The famous islanders terror of journeys. Travel 10 miles and you not only have to take a packed lunch and thermos but add in a blanket, torch, small cask of brandy in the absence of St Bernards,and possibly a couple of distress flares.

nm, shall I send a bit of chicken up to you? I could tie it onto the leg of a carrier pigeon.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    I would not recommend all day on a bus islandmaid I had to do it last month because the station was closed. I had to do 2 1/2 hours on one bus each way two days running. plus 1 hour each way on another bus plus 2 lots of 20 mins. All I got was another nursemaggie said I have ordered your blood count because you felt dizzy. I'm not surprised it was the buses, they vibrate a lot especially when they are stopped at bus stops.

This nurse takes my blood every time I go to the Christy and she really is called Margaret. I do think you can take an inordinate time to go even a couple of miles on ordinary buses. If there are rivers or railways to cross you can end up going 10 miles to get 2. I did read of a couple who started to see if they could visit every large town and city in England Wales and Scotland. I bet they never managed it, or they are still trying as it was about 5 or 6 years ago.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Sitting in the bus station in Edinburgh last week, I was watching the posh comfy looking long distance buses. I even went onto the London bus and had a wee look (didn't realise it was full of people all waiting for the driver to appear and they all lQQked back at me)!
    You go up some stairs in the middle of the side, the seats are all up high and the space underneath is two huge luggage hatches with an automatic door that opens and closes itself. The seats were like the ones you get on a plane or a ferry, the windows were deeply tinted and it had blue lights. I could sleep on that! Only problem woud be what the hell to do when I got to London lol - I'd probably get something to eat then come right back home again!
    I've seen buses for Belfast, Leeds, Wrexham (wherever that is, I got it muddled with Hexham lol) as well as the Scottish destinations like Aberdeen and Inverness. It doesn't half give you wanderlust, sitting in a bus station bored..
  • I have a bus pass but most of the time I still pay the fare as I am still working. I will use it more when I retire.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes I do get angry when I know people my age in other parts have the bus pass and I cannot get one, it would make life so much easier and cheaper.

My main job today is going to be sorting my money out, so I know exactly how much I have for fresh stuff throughout the month, I will get my main shop delivered every two weeks (I think) and hope I don't need too much other times, the bus fare is a fiver return so I will have to add that onto my shop.

I have my small list going of chores to be done and will continue with that, I think I saw a piece of the carpet in the bedroom yesterday but it could have been wishful thinking!

Take care everyone and thank you x
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills