Driving colleague's cars in work carpark

Options

Comments

• Bobbyblu
    Bobbyblu Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Is there really nowhere within half a mile or so of the place where you can park legally? I used to work somewhere like that with a tiny work carpark where everyone was always blocking everyone else in, in the end I just decided it was far too much hassle parking there and found a quiet street half a mile away with no parking restrictions and parked there every day.

Unfortunately not. It's in the middle of nowhere in the country. Public transport requires about a mile walk up an unlit country lane at 6 in the morning, so in winter it's pitch black.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    As a named driver unless the policy certificate says otherwise which is very unlikely you are not insured to drive any vehicle other than the one you are named on the insurance for. When you are moving a colleagues car you are doing so uninsured. As has been stated above the fact that employees and delivery drivers have access to the site means for insurance and police prosecution purposes it would be regarded as a public road.

So for example whilst moving a colleagues car you hit another car, person or object you would be personally responsible for the full cost of any damage incurred and if the police were called you would face a driving without insurance charge which normally incurs 6 points and results in increased insurance premiums. The reality is the insurers of the car you were driving uninsured would pay for the damage and recover the full costs from you.

Another thing to consider is that if a colleague similarly uninsured moves your car and causes damage your husbands insurers would have to pay for the damage but would then look to recover these costs from you for giving permission to an uninsured driver and the driver for not having insurance.

These types of arrangements never end well.

And in both examples the car owner could be charged with causing or permitting driving without insurance: 6 points again.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    If everybody at your workplace were to stand together on this, then they'd have to do something about it.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    If everybody at your workplace were to stand together on this, then they'd have to do something about it.

You're right and stopping staff parking on site would be an own goal for the staff.
  • Bobbyblu
    Bobbyblu Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    You're right and stopping staff parking on site would be an own goal for the staff.

Absolutely, they'd have more space for their vehicles and the work vehicles. No skin off their nose at all.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    Is a motorbike or moped an option for you?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bobbyblu wrote: »
    Hi,
    I work for a company where parking is in very high demand. There are no other options of where to park other than public transport which is difficult as it's out in the sticks.
    We are expected to park up very tightly in front and beside each other and leave our keys in the office. We go out on our work vehicles for the day and all return at different hours which vary day to day. If we need to leave before others we have to move their cars in order to get to our own and likewise they move mine
    Work have now made it clear they are not responsible for any accidents or damage in the carpark etc so where do we stand legally. What happens if I damage someone's car when I move it. I'm only a named driver on my own car insurance so on days when I have to take the car where do I stand. It really doesn't sit right with me that we have to do this.
    Many thanks for any advice.

Legally, the employer is attempting to deny any responsibility for any damage caused to cars in the car park (although this may be open to legal challenge based on what you say - I suggest you seek legal advice if necesseay)
    If you cause damage to someone else's property, you will be held liable.

I suggest you find somewhere else to park whilst you are at work, and do not hand over your keys to anyone.
    Similarly, refuse to drive any vehicle as part of your employment duties unless your employer fully indemnifies you in the event of any accident you cause.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bobbyblu wrote: »
    ... It's in the middle of nowhere in the country....
    Should be quite easy to find an alternative location to park your vehicle whilst at work then :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Similarly, refuse to drive any vehicle as part of your employment duties unless your employer fully indemnifies you in the event of any accident you cause.

But your employer cannot indemnify you against criminal charges.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    But your employer cannot indemnify you against criminal charges.

if its on private land is it criminal? You don't need to be taxed or insured etc to drive on private land surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure