PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon everyone

Sorry you're both still not feeling very well caronc and farway, I hope that you soon get better.
    Thanks Holly - thankfully mine does seem to be on the way out, no paracetemol today. Just need to get my balance back. Farway - hope your lurgy departs soon.
    I don't cry when I cut onions.
    candygirl wrote: »
    I don't cry with onions either:D I think we must be special ;)
    I don't cry with onions either so I must be special too:cool:, the upside to breaking my nose a few years ago is that onion and chilli fumes etc. no longer make me weep:D

PN- thanks for the tips re nuking pasta. I did consider that but couldn't face the repeated standing/stirring. (My perch stool doesn't fit in that corner, I should really think about moving my microwave :o)

Tonight I'm going for another bung it in the oven meal of turkey kiev and veggie bake, both from the freezer so no prep either. :D Lunch was toasted crumpets with butter and cheese which I really enjoyed. I didn't buy a loaf this week so that it would make use up some of the lurking bread products in the freezer as I really need to create some space in prep for Christmas catering:).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    kittie wrote: »
    I have been eating soup but could not face the amount I had left over yesterday, sad face but I did put the rest down the sink. It had no appeal whatsoever. In future I am going to make small amounts of soup.

That's another one, I was in same position this morning, but have frozen some of mine. It may go down the loo some time in the future but for now it is out of sight

Bisto in fridge has set me thinking, is my lost unopened honey in mine? Must check

Dinner was just as planned earlier, CBA baked spud, tin tuna & side salad
    Followed by two lumps of the Bread Pudding. I have capitalised it because it is so scrummy, and vanishing worryingly quickly
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds weird, but I sometimes use soup as a sauce to cover pasta, cauli etc.Can be freakily tasty :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    candygirl wrote: »
    Sounds weird, but I sometimes use soup as a sauce to cover pasta, cauli etc.Can be freakily tasty :p
    We had an accidently tasty dinner a few years ago of ham & lentil soup, rice, naan and spicy onions. I thought I had defrosted Chicken curry..... A cupasoup (ideally mushroom) made up and poured over softened instant noodles with a sprinkle of grated cheese is surprisingly tasty:D
  • caronc
    Farway wrote: »
    T
    Followed by two lumps of the Bread Pudding. I have capitalised it because it is so scrummy, and vanishing worryingly quickly
    That's why I'm best off not making bread pudding.....:rotfl:
    If want something very, very tasty but very, very calorific try Jamaican bread pudding http://jamaicans.com/breadpudding/ when I worked in Peckham in the mid-1980s there was a West Indian bakery/takeaway that used to sell a fixed meal of Spicy patty, carton of rice "n" peas and a big wodge of bread pudding for under £2, it was glorious but huge. My friend and I used to split one between us if we were heading out after work on the grounds it would "line our stomachs" :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    After my weekend disaster forcing consecutive veggie days I was so happy to sink my teeth into some meaty pork sausages and a celeriac, carrot and apple mash absolutely lovely. I still have some leftover stuffed peppers to deal with - lunchtime tomorrow I'm thinking.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »

PN- thanks for the tips re nuking pasta. I did consider that but couldn't face the repeated standing/stirring. (My perch stool doesn't fit in that corner, I should really think about moving my microwave :o)

It is possible to lob it in, with enough water, and press the button once.... but I don't do that as the water can become unpredictable, bubbling up and over - so I prefer to poke it about by doing it all "little and often" and getting the best result possible. With a big enough dish, rinsing the pasta first to get rid of some of the starch, splash of oil to stop it cooking into one fat lump .... it'd be possible to do it in one go.
  • caronc
    It is possible to lob it in, with enough water, and press the button once.... but I don't do that as the water can become unpredictable, bubbling up and over - so I prefer to poke it about by doing it all "little and often" and getting the best result possible. With a big enough dish, rinsing the pasta first to get rid of some of the starch, splash of oil to stop it cooking into one fat lump .... it'd be possible to do it in one go.
    Thanks PN :)- I've just a smallish microwave so I'm not sure it would take a big enough dish to avoid the lava effect. I am tbh probably safer not attempting anything that needs pouring/jiggling when I'm unsteady.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    caronc wrote: »
    That's why I'm best off not making bread pudding.....:rotfl:
    If want something very, very tasty but very, very calorific try Jamaican bread pudding http://jamaicans.com/breadpudding/ when I worked in Peckham in the mid-1980s there was a West Indian bakery/takeaway that used to sell a fixed meal of Spicy patty, carton of rice "n" peas and a big wodge of bread pudding for under £2, it was glorious but huge. My friend and I used to split one between us if we were heading out after work on the grounds it would "line our stomachs" :rotfl::rotfl:
    Just had a look at that recipe. It looks really good. I don't drink that often at all, but I do like rum :D. As you say, very calorific though.
  • caronc
    Just had a look at that recipe. It looks really good. I don't drink that often at all, but I do like rum :D. As you say, very calorific though.
    It's good with rum if you have it and fine without if you don't;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure