December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ooh how fab Zippy - many thanks. I haven't been in the challenge for a couple of months but have been doing well with continuing to plan, budget etc.
    Sooo.. for December I'd like to be included for £160 please - and this won't include alcohol this month hehehe.
    W
  • can i be put down for another £50 for December please? :eek::eek::D

February GC £26.68/£250

• Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2012 at 7:31PM
    Very excited about December thread. New month = new start! probably not the best month to watch the pennies but suppose I can treat it as a dress rehearsal for January!

November has left me very poor - a combination of bad planning/wasting food and shopping too much. I've also been buying xmas gifts from Mr T and having them delivered with my home delivery shop so they have been paid for from the grocery budget ! (which I have had to replenish much to the disgust of my overdraft!):D

There have been far too many visits (like October) to M&$ this month. A simple trip to for lunch or a desert as a treat is resulting in an average spend of £20 plus :eek:

I am inclined to think that the best course of action is to have my once a week food delivery shop and avoid the shops like the plague at all other times. I think I will pay more on some items. (been shopping in icela8d and got some good buys) but all these visits to various shops - its all been adding up. I think if I stick to one shop and just once a week - well hope to cut back and save some money.

Need to try and meal plan and work hard to stick to budget
  • I hope you don't mind if I attach myself to the challenge unofficially this month.

I have tried it before but usually given up counting part way through the month.

As an experiment I'd like to try to spend no more than £46 per week; hoping that budgeting for a week is more achievable for me.

If I can do this from now to the end of December I will be really pleased.
    £2 Savers Club 2013 - £28
    20p Savers Club 2013 - £10.20
    January 2013 Grocery Challenge 73.30/180.00
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Well I'm not starting mine yet but please put me down for £215 in December. Thanks! :)
  • I am trying to spend only £90 a week on food and other household items but as it's Christmas I will be realistic and say £400 for the month of December.:beer:

If I spend a little less on a couple of the weeks then I might carry the money over and get some more treats for the actual holiday period.;)

I'm hoping to not spend as much as that as I have been looking on the money saving threads all day to pick up advice. :DThe pet one was very helpful too.:T

So RevolvingDoor - £400 :A
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Thanks for the shiny new thread! I'm in from Tuesday, and I think next payday is 18th December. I'm going for £250 as I've done really well this time. And I do have vouchers but I guess the fresh stuff for c day will be out of next months...
    This thread has really made a difference, I don't waste half so much food (and money!)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all

I'm still on November and it has been hard as I didn't work out that it was a 5 week month when I set my budget which was a bit dim! You live and learn...:o

I need to include a bit of entertaining in Dec as I have family coming to stay on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I will be preparing three big extra meals (hoping Christmas Day supper will be left overs).

I have taken the time to work this out correctly this month and I am going to have a four week month which will end on the 28th December so I am going to go for £200 on the basis that I have a turkey in the freezer and a good stock of AF goodies. Also, I WILL be sensible this year. Famous last words... :rotfl:

Hope everyone has a good month
    PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 642
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello, please can you put me down for £150 for december? My month will start November 30th.

Many thanks.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Please put me down for £350 for December, starting on 23rd November. I bust the budget for November by going nuts on Mr T yellow stickers, so I will be on track for December.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport