GB Energy says I can now have a smart meter

JohnB47
JohnB47 Posts: 2,534
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 9 October 2016 at 10:27AM in Energy
So, an Email from GB Energy says I can now have a smart meter. I've read a bit of negative reporting about this and wonder if I should go for it. I tend to shop around for energy and I don't want to be stuck not being able to switch because a new supplier can't handle the new meter.

There's a link in the EMail supposedly to give more info but when I click on it, there's absolutely nothing mentioned about smart meters.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You would not be stuck and unable to switch. Your smart meter will just not operate as a "smart meter" with many suppliers. It would operate the same as any standard "dumb" meter.

The current smart meter, version 1, is not compatible with all suppliers. Hence the above would happen with you switched to a non-compatible supplier. Energy companies are trying to flog their stock of these before version2 comes out.

Personally I would wait one year and get version 2 of the smart meter, as that should be compatible with all suppliers and supposedly has more future proof features.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I think "flog their stock" is incorrect as they won't charge you for it.

It will have the advantage that you wont have to send them a meter reading every month but you'll still have accurate billing.

You need a meter so it really doesn't make a jot of difference whether it's smart, dumb, green, yellow or blue (unless you want it to match the decor).

It wont stop you from swapping suppliers, if a new supplier can't handle it as a smart one, then it will revert to being a dumb one and it will need to be read.

The only disadvantage that I can see is that it will make you lazy, you'll stop reading your own meter, stop checking the bills and you won't be monitoring your consumption.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:15PM
    Personally the only suppliers I would not use for smart meters is Ovo and Utilita. These two suppliers will virtually entrap you to stay with them without a battle to leave them with possible extra costs if you leave within the first year of the contract. They will go out of their way to fob you off and delay doing what they have to do. They use meters made by Secure ( the Liberty model ) which nearly all the others cannot support so it would require a meter exchange just to switch supplier.
    I ve had smart meters for a good few years now and been around the block switching around with EDF/EON/Sainsburys. I m now back with good old BG ( and cheapest electric tariff in the UK ) where the meter is back working smart ( as it was with Sainsburys ). I m now moving house so I m back to a pair of credit meters . It wont matter one jot whether I get SMETS1 or SMETS2 or SMETS72 , I will accept whatever smart meter they fancy fitting.Its only a half our job per meter to update and that will be done on a Saturday so I don t lose any work time or holidays.
  • JohnB47
    Forumite
    OK Guys, thanks.

I already monitor my usage carefully and use a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I'm happy to keep using that and to keep doing my own readings (although GB seem to ask me for readings every month, then ignore them and use an estimate anyway!).

I think I'll wait until the next generation of meter is widely available (I'll check which one GB is intending to fit first). I've now read a separate post saying that these are called SMETS2 and should be available early next year.
  • JohnB47
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 10:46AM
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Personally the only suppliers I would not use for smart meters is Ovo and Utilita. These two suppliers will virtually entrap you to stay with them without a battle to leave them with possible extra costs if you leave within the first year of the contract. They will go out of their way to fob you off and delay doing what they have to do. They use meters made by Liberty ( the Secure model ) which nearly all the others cannot support so it would require a meter exchange just to switch supplier.
    I ve had smart meters for a good few years now and been around the block switching around with EDF/EON/Sainsburys. I m now back with good old BG ( and cheapest electric tariff in the UK ) where the meter is back working smart ( as it was with Sainsburys ). I m now moving house so I m back to a pair of credit meters . It wont matter one jot whether I get SMETS1 or SMETS2 or SMETS72 , I will accept whatever smart meter they fancy fitting.Its only a half our job per meter to update and that will be done on a Saturday so I don t lose any work time or holidays.

Thanks. I was typing my post as you were doing yours. BG has the cheapest tariff in the UK? Care to share the unit and daily charge prices? Exit free, if fixed tariff?
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 12:06PM
    matelodave wrote: »
    I think "flog their stock" is incorrect as they won't charge you for it.

OK....perhaps I was embellishing it a little bit...point taken. What I was attempting to get across is that the utility companies obviously have a lot of these "version 1" smart meters in stock, which they have paid for and therefore want to pass them on to as many customers as possible before version 2 comes out.

However, while publicising these "version 1" smart meters as the next best thing, they are not making clear that they have certain technical limitations which may (but probably won't) be overcome in the future.

So, it is a bit cheeky in my opinion, hence I used the word flog to connote the sense that there was something dodgy going on.
  • OK....perhaps I was embellishing it a little bit...point taken. What I was attempting to get across is that the utility companies obviously have a lot of these "version 1" smart meters in stock, which they have paid for and therefore want to pass them on to as many customers as possible before version 2 comes out.

However, while publicising these "version 1" smart meters as the next best thing, they are not making clear that they have certain technical limitations which may (but probably won't) be overcome in the future.

So, it is a bit cheeky in my opinion, hence I used the word flog to connote the sense that there was something dodgy going on.

Hello there!

I don't work for GB Energy, but a similar set-up of energy company, so perhaps I will be able to shed some light for you.

Meters are not owned by the energy firm on the whole, unless they are a big six energy (and even in that case it is likely that they will be sold off in time, as the big six want to be asset light). Meters are owned by independent companies, such as LBSL, Siemens, The National Grid and a number of (often offshore owned) investment firms. Energy companies then pay a rental charge for your meter - and for the upkeep/servicing of the meter.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what GB are doing, I suspect that installing a smart meter (SMETS1) is more of a customer service initiative than anyway to do something 'dodgy'. I'm actually quite surprised they've started installing SMETS1 smart meters, but perhaps they've got a good deal from an installer, on this basis. I think it's slightly disingenuous to apply that they are doing anything 'dodgy'.

There is nothing wrong with the meter, the only thing you'll have to bear in mind that the smart functionality will be limited if you move away from them. It won't block or delay your switch in anyway.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:26PM
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Thanks. I was typing my post as you were doing yours. BG has the cheapest tariff in the UK? Care to share the unit and daily charge prices? Exit free, if fixed tariff?

Cheapest electric in UK ..7.89 p kwh (inc VAT ).. Sainsburys June 2017 collective ..exit fees of 30 quid 19p a day S.C. . Closed tariff now.. sorry my mistake, not a BG deal but Sainsburys..same supplier though
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 5:04PM
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    OK Guys, thanks.

I already monitor my usage carefully and use a spreadsheet to keep track of things. I'm happy to keep using that and to keep doing my own readings (although GB seem to ask me for readings every month, then ignore them and use an estimate anyway!).

I think I'll wait until the next generation of meter is widely available (I'll check which one GB is intending to fit first). I've now read a separate post saying that these are called SMETS2 and should be available early next year.

I only find that they "estimate" a reading when you sent it in too early. Look at your bills and see when you are being billed from and to and send in the reading on the last day. That's the one they'll use (or they do for me)

I find that their estimates are a bit on the generous side even though they've got a record of my previous consumption so if I'm not around to actually read the meter on the appointed day I give them my own estimate which is a lot closer to reality.

I want a Smart meter and look forward to getting one although we are all electric so there seems to be less incentive for them to come and fit one.

Likewise we can't get some of the better collective deals as most of them are dual fuel.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • JohnB47
    Forumite
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Cheapest electric in UK ..7.89 p kwh (inc VAT ).. Sainsburys June 2017 collective ..exit fees of 30 quid 19p a day S.C. . Closed tariff now.. sorry my mistake, not a BG deal but Sainsburys..same supplier though

Yep, that's cheaper than mine, (10.03p per Kwh and 29.61p per day, no exit fee though) although we're not comparing like-for-like as I have dual fuel. Perhaps my gas is cheaper than yours and overall our costs are comparible?

I haven't been keeping an eye on tariffs since changing to BG, so maybe I'm out of date with best offers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure