Damaged/Scratched bumper Motability Car -Quandary

Options
Hi there everyone,

I am hoping you can advise me!

Today whilst out shopping, my car was damaged on the front bumper. It's basically just scratched paint work and nothing more than cosmetic.

What makes my experience rather odd and rare is that the lady who did it actually informed the shop I was in about the incident, and they found me by announcing my car reg over the tannoy.

She was waiting outside for me and was very genuinely sorry for the mistake, and had her personal details all written out for me.

I thanked her for her honestly and she requested if I would perhaps get private quotes for the work to be done rather than going through my insurance, as she didn't want to raise her premiums.

Now, the thing is I have a motability car on behalf of my son - he's only 8 and obviously can't drive himself, so I drive the car on his behalf.

I know this might sound like a crazy idea, but should I charge the woman for the damage given that it's a motability car and the damage will, I'm guessing, be covered by the scheme as it is only superficial and cosmetic?

I was amazed by her honesty, and I thought it might be nice to give a nice, honest person a break?

Or will I ultimately end up paying for this damage and be penalised by motability in some way if I don't get it sorted out and have the insurance use her details?

Or should I just get quotes and take the money and get the damage fixed privately without involving motability?

I guess I'm a bit soft, and this is really a moral quandary.
Any opinions and advice you have on the subject will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Depending how bad it is you could lose the good condition bonus, which is £200 at the end of the lease. They have a fairly high tolerance for damage though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even a minor scratch can be very expensive to repair. I would get it repaired by chips away and ask her to pay.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Can I just ask how you know it's nothing more than cosmetic? There may be unseen damage behind the bumper, so it's probably best to get it checked out.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Depending how bad it is you could lose the good condition bonus, which is £200 at the end of the lease. They have a fairly high tolerance for damage though.

The bonus is now £250.

It's a difficult one, but you really should tell the insurance company as should she. I know you want to reward her for being honest, but you both need to be honest with your insurance companies. If you are not then you might not be covered if they ever find out.
  • baccyman
    baccyman Posts: 316 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently handed back my mobility car and it had some minor scratches on the bumper that was caused by someone reversing into my car and I had no problems with it when I handed the car over and I received my bonus for handing the car back in good condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure