PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Comments

• kate83
    kate83 Posts: 290 Forumite
    I've always thought tigerbread tasted of butter - might be worth trying melted butter instead of oil - I've tried brushing melted butter on top of bread before and it gives a very sweet, slightly sticky top, just needs something else with it to make it crack.

Maybe melt marmite and butter together and add enough rice flour to make a paste.

I'm trying my first loaf of artisan bread today so if that works I might attempt tigerbread.
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wanted to make a tiger loaf as my husband loves the sesame taste.

I took a small plastic container with me to Tesco and [strike]charmed the pants off[/strike] spoke to one of the bakers there and they were kind enough to fill my little container with the topping they brush on the bread to make it into a tiger loaf!:T There was about a cup in there which he said would last for ages in the fridge and would do me for about 10 large loaves!

I think I probably reminded him of his gran! :rotfl::rotfl:

Marion
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • kate83
    kate83 Posts: 290 Forumite
    To those who have had trouble getting the crust to go dark enough, I've just been reading up on making bread and noticed it said to get a nice dark colour to the crust you need steam when cooking.
    The best way to get it at home was supposedly to preheat a tray on in oven and throw in some water when you put the bread in - should steam as it hits the hot tray.
    Something about it reacting with the oils in the dough and caramelising.
  • to Mrs Mixes recipe I added a stock cube I am going to experiment with diff flavours but the first was chicken and although it was not tesco tiger bread it was really nice
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Anyone tried adding MSG? lol. That tiger bread really reminds me of takeaway Chinese food and the MSG taste. I'm probably miles off but just a thought. I couldn't decide if I liked the taste or not so I do remember trying to work out what it was.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • Oh dear.

I can't believe how hungry I feel now after reading about the taste and the smell.

I think it is the best tasting bread. I don't what it is but I can eat it with just marg on and it still tastes fantastic.

Gone for dinner!
    No longer half of Optimisticpair

• I Found this for the topping/paste, it works for me.
    Regards, Dave

Do your bread mix as for a normal 'bloomer' loaf;

Then ......

For the topping....

4 teaspoons sugar (.168 mg)
    3 tablespoons yeast (18 mg)
    ¾ cup white rice flour! (trace)
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (trace)
    2/3 cups distilled or bottle no sodium water, warmed (trace) Place dough ingredients into bread machine in order listed. Set for dough.
    Forty minutes before dough is ready to roll out of machine, prepare the topping. Place yeast into pocket in flour that does not have other dry ingredients.
    In a medium to large mixing bowl stir together all the topping ingredients and cover and sit (35 to 40 minutes ). Stir well before applying to pre-cooked dough.
    When dough is ready, knead slightly on a lightly floured board and shape into 12 sandwich (elongated or rolled) buns or 3 baguette sized logs for baking on baguette pan.
    Place buns in lightly greased baguette pans. Generously spread evenly at room temperature the topping over each bun or loaf. You will work this with your hands, making sure the entire bun or roll ball is covered smoothly. (Toppingt cannot be colder than the dough.) Let rise uncovered in a warm place (room temperature or in oven with proof setting) until they double or more in size. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour and fifteen minutes.
    Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake on middle rack at temperature until deep golden about 25 to 35 minutes. (Dutch Crunch part should get pretty dark.) Cool it on a rack........
    Enjoy
  • miele_2
    miele_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Hello all,

This is a really interesting thread! I've been looking for a recipe for tiger bread for absolutely ages!

Thanks to previous posts, I googled Dutch Crunch Bread, and found this recipe for the bread machine. Not sure how it will turn out but will give it a go tomorrow. Also, not sure if the bread will get that 'cracked' look like it does in tescos, or even the hedgehog effect!

Makes 1 1/2 lb loaf:

Dutch%20Crunch%20Bread.gif

PS, I am guessing that all purpose flour is strong white bread flour, and hopefully I can substitute salad oil for olive oil or vegetable oil (What is salad oil?)

If you try it, please let us all know how you get on!! ;)
    :hello: Trying my best to money save! :j
    :grinheart Sealed Pot Challenge 6 #2100 :grinheart
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    hi nosigonlife & miele :)

these recipes sound lovely & I'm sure will produce excellent bread, but if you look back over this thread you'll see that we've tried out various recipes & toppings involving similar rice flour mixtures which do produce the crackle effect, but ...

the elusive thing is that essential sesame flavour & smell ... none of us has managed to capture it yet

I think we need to kidnap a baker & 'persuade' them to part with the secret of the mix that they buy in from the commercial wholesalers ;)
  • miele_2
    miele_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Hi Swan,

What an excitng task for the weekend! I will try to visit the one real bakery left in my town to talk to the baker and persuade him to share..... ;);)
    :hello: Trying my best to money save! :j
    :grinheart Sealed Pot Challenge 6 #2100 :grinheart
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family