PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your efforts matt

interesting that none of them list sesame in the ingredients
    I've definitely seen at least 2 of the supermarket labels listing it on the label on the loaf, I must do some research & if I can find the labels again, I'll scan & post them as proof

perhaps it's the 'secret' ingredient 'they' don't want us to know about??? ;)
  • jojo01
    jojo01 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "tiger paste which consists of rice flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt."

That's the same paste ingredients as the crackle bread recipe, except for 4tsps oil.

I might have to give this a whirl next weekend.
  • louiseeden
    Options
    I am off to Tesco tomorrow. Just called up and spoken to one of the bakers. She told me they use a thick sesame paste, NOT tahini. She was in a hurry so asked me to call back 1st thing in the morning and speak to the head baker who will 'give me lots of useful tips'
    Found this by accident as I'm looking to make Tiger bread at the weekend. I'll let you know what I find out :-)
  • matt_wood87
    Options
    The ingredients in the ASDA tiger bread are as follows

ASDA

Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt, Full Fat Soya, Emulsifiers (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids E472(e), Sodium stearoyl- 2- lactylate, E481), Dextrose, Vegetable Oil, Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

Tiger Paste
    Vegetable Oil, Flour Treatment Agents (Ascorbic Acid E300), Licystine Hydro-chloride E920) Acidity Regulator: Diphosphate E450) , Sesame Oil, Malt Powder.

Matt
  • waveydaveys
    Options
    Tiger bread/baps/cubs were created by Don Job in the 1980`s. He was head baker at a place called The Oven Door in Penzance, Cornwall.

I was a baker for ten years and made the paste mix by hand and the ingredients was only the following :

Rice flour, veg oil, salt, yeast, water thats it, this was hand whisked in a bucket to nice paste then left to stand. this was then applied to semi-proved products (it must be applied quite thickly) then reproved causing the mix to crack before entering the ovens.

The bread mix is just a plain white like every other white roll or loaf produced nothing extra is added
  • EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rice flour, veg oil, salt, yeast, water thats it,

That's brilliant, thank you. But any idea of the quantities of each ingredient?

Welcome to the forum BTW.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tiger bread/baps/cubs were created by Don Job in the 1980`s. He was head baker at a place called The Oven Door in Penzance, Cornwall.

I was a baker for ten years and made the paste mix by hand and the ingredients was only the following :

Rice flour, veg oil, salt, yeast, water thats it, this was hand whisked in a bucket to nice paste then left to stand. this was then applied to semi-proved products (it must be applied quite thickly) then reproved causing the mix to crack before entering the ovens.

The bread mix is just a plain white like every other white roll or loaf produced nothing extra is added

Blimey I thought whatever was in it was addictive as a loaf only lasts about 5 seconds in our house!http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_images/smilies/laughing-smiley-014.gif
    Slightly bitter
  • seth
    seth Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Which sesame oil are people using in the paste?

The smell and taste of the store bought tiger bread reminds me of the toasted sesame oil used as a flavouring in Chinese cooking. This is not the the same as the sesame oil used in for cooking or salad oils.

The toasted oil has a rich nutty smell and flavour that will not survive baking or cooking.
    Seth.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    seth wrote: »
    Which sesame oil are people using in the paste?

The smell and taste of the store bought tiger bread reminds me of the toasted sesame oil used as a flavouring in Chinese cooking. This is not the the same as the sesame oil used in for cooking or salad oils.

The toasted oil has a rich nutty smell and flavour that will not survive baking or cooking.
    hi seth,
    if you've read the whole thread you'll see the sesame/no sesame debate has been 'raging' since the start of it, I'm firmly in the sesame camp, if someone's brought a Tiger Loaf into the house while I'm out, I can smell it as soon as I walk in the door & I agree it's a very distinctly toasted/Chinese sesame smell

I can't vouch for the others on the thread, but it was Chinese sesame oil I used in my failed attempts, mixed into the dough or into the topping, & of course now you point it out, it makes perfect sense why the flavour disappeared on baking, I'd never fry with Chinese sesame oil because the flavour & fragrance would be lost, so it stands to reason the it's never going to survive the heat of the oven ... doh! :rolleyes:

don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it might be worth baking a loaf with a crackle glaze (Dutch Crunch or any of the ones listed earlier would do as they're all very similar) then painting on the sesame oil when the bread's hot from the oven? I do that with olive oil on some Italian breads & it gives a lovely flavour & an almost flaky crust

I've no kitchen just now, looong story :o or I'd give it a go myself this morning

anyone going try it? please let us know how you get on, if you get a good result you'll be a hero :)
  • waltermcculloch
    Options
    We are trying to find out the recipe too, dunno where to start lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills