Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Comments

• Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    John_bones wrote: »
    I've filed a formal complaint but have no confirmation of the advice to ignore. Thinking of paying to be honest can't afford to lose my credit score as I'm in the market for a mortgage soon.

Filing a formal complaint is the best way to approach this as you have not received the offer. If you do not get a satisfactory response, or no response within eight weeks then you can bring your complaint to us.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The claims guys cold called me and told me I was mis-sold without even asking any questions. I had a few minutes so I indulged them. I pointed out that I was an IFA and I arranged my own insurances. They said I could still put in a complaint. Even though the complaint would go to myself and I would have to decide if I had been mis-sold by me.

My experience of them is that they do not care for the regulator and the guidelines issued and are just interested in getting money out of you.

https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/19382/The_Claims_Guys_Limited/
    The Claims Guys Ltd are being investigated by the Claims Management Regulator under Regulation 35 of the Compensation (Claims Management Services) Regulations 2006 in order to determine whether it is in breach of the rules relating to due diligence.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • A useful piece of news Fermi.
  • Yes that is interesting. I did pay under duress but expect The Claims Guys to do their job and get me that money back from Barclays. Strangely enough the phone calls on a regular basis have stopped however they were supposed to be letting me know about their communication with Barclays. I believe they should have heard by now.

Another of the claims they were making on my behalf seems to be getting stalled by Canada Square Operations. I returned my acceptance of the offers and they would have hit the post Monday 4th of January. One has been received letter dated the 22nd January where they state that they will issue within thirty days. That contradicts their previous letter which states they will issue the cheque within 20 days.

All good fun this ppi reclaiming

Thanks for your comments everyone it's great that you are willing to advise
  • Hi, my husband (before we met) accrued very large debts. To help resolve the matter he used Chase Saunders who liaised with his creditors, arranged repayment terms and took a monthly sum. After a few years my husband started to get letters from creditors advising payment hadn't been received. In turn he contacted Chase Saunders who stated this was his creditors error and payments were being made. After several missed payments we discovered Chase Saunders had gone into liquidation. Not only had they effectively taken an admin fee for a service not provided, but they had stolen/defrauded thousands in payments that were not sent on to his creditors. Is there any recourse/reimbursement process for the money taken by this company from their false promises and lies?
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Hello

We have looked into the details of Chase Saunders, and they were a regulated CMC but surrendered their license in June 2010. We have certain time limits for complaints we can accept these are set out in our scheme rules:

Ordinarily:
    a) the act or omission, or when the complainant should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint, must have been after 5 October 2010;
    and
    b) the complainant must refer the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman no later than:
    - six years from the act/omission; or
    - three years from when the complainant should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

I think on this basis your case would be outside our time limits – if you think they may be within our time limits you are welcome to call us to discuss your complaint. However if you think they have taken the money under false pretences this may be a matter you would wish to refer to the police.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    However if you think they have taken the money under false pretences this may be a matter you would wish to refer to the police.

Sadly it's a bit late for that, they went into liquidation in 2010 http://www.debtmanagementtoday.co.uk/newsstory?id=876&type=newsfeature&title=manchester_debt_firm_is_liquidated_owing_creditors_over_2_2m
  • Thanks for the information. Oddly the money kept leaving my husband's account and it was through another company contacting him, definately after 2010, stating CS no longer existed. Around £6k at a guess of payments never made it to creditors. It wasn't just devastating, but the fact Im asking via here whether there was recourse shows exactly how much in the dark we were! Im going to get him to work out the dates as he could very well fit the criteria outlined. Thanks!
  • Im going to get him to work out the dates as he could very well fit the criteria outlined. Thanks!
    Before you do that, read post #88 of this thread. The company went into liquidation in 2010 owing £2million to creditors. The Ombudsman has no power over companies which no longer exist.

http://www.debtmanagementtoday.co.uk/newsstory?id=876&type=newsfeature&title=manchester%20%20_debt_firm_is_liquidated_owing_creditors_over_2_2m
  • Just thought I'd let you know the harassing phone calls stopped as did the threatening letters. All outstanding money has been received by me and paid the The Claims Guys. My advice would be to come here get advice and do it yourself. I should have!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure