Investment platform / general advice

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    MPN wrote: »
    She feels that nothing is of particular value at the moment and prices are very high so it's worth hanging back to see if anything alters over the next two months? If not, then she will have to invest before the 5 April and you never know prices may be even higher.

Exactly right. Stockmarkets are always at a peak immediately before they hit another peak. If you stay out of the market waiting for prices to go down you could be waiting years, not months. A simulation I posted in another thread showed that waiting for the stockmarket to go down before you invest can make you 40% poorer than someone who just does it.

And even if you are unlucky to invest just before prices crash, you should still beat cash over the long term. For example, those who were unlucky enough to invest at the peak of the market in 2007 still beat those who kept their money in cash from 2013 onwards. So if you are genuinely investing for the long term the risk that tomorrow might be the next crash really does not matter. (Only if you are gambling on short term fluctuations does it matter, and that is beyond the scope of this board.)
    I personally feel she should of invested some time ago after Brexit but she resisted so I suppose we won't know who's right until a few months time!
    Invest the money now and have a sweepstake between you on short-term fluctuations. If the FTSE is lower on 5 April you have to buy her a meal and if the same or higher she buys you one.

That way you maximise your ISA allowances and long term growth and still get the satisfaction of knowing which of you is better at short term market timing.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    £120 cash-back (not guaranteed) if you go with Fidelity via TopCashBack.

I've done no research and not saying Fidelity is the ideal or best.
    Caveat emptor.
  • I'm a first timer looking at S&S also but I have a smaller amount than the OP (would be converting a cash ISA, most cash in 123 etc). I've read a fair few threads and don't seem to see Axa Self Investor mentioned much, any reason for this? I'll keep reading some more but it's a little over my head at the moment!
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Exactly right. Stockmarkets are always at a peak immediately before they hit another peak. If you stay out of the market waiting for prices to go down you could be waiting years, not months. A simulation I posted in another thread showed that waiting for the stockmarket to go down before you invest can make you 40% poorer than someone who just does it.

And even if you are unlucky to invest just before prices crash, you should still beat cash over the long term. For example, those who were unlucky enough to invest at the peak of the market in 2007 still beat those who kept their money in cash from 2013 onwards. So if you are genuinely investing for the long term the risk that tomorrow might be the next crash really does not matter. (Only if you are gambling on short term fluctuations does it matter, and that is beyond the scope of this board.)

Invest the money now and have a sweepstake between you on short-term fluctuations. If the FTSE is lower on 5 April you have to buy her a meal and if the same or higher she buys you one.

That way you maximise your ISA allowances and long term growth and still get the satisfaction of knowing which of you is better at short term market timing.

That's not a bad idea I fancy a 'meal'' wager with her on this one. She is adamant that the market will fall soon so this could be fun!
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I know that you can never time the market and as george4064 said it is 'time in the market' which I agree with, however, my partner currently still has her full 15,240 ISA allowance but wants to hang on for a few months so see what happens until the end of this tax year.

She feels that nothing is of particular value at the moment and prices are very high so it's worth hanging back to see if anything alters over the next two months? If not, then she will have to invest before the 5 April and you never know prices may be even higher. I personally feel she should of invested some time ago after Brexit but she resisted so I suppose we won't know who's right until a few months time!

I think your partner could be right but it's all a gamble! I know the old saying 'time in the market' however, there is also 'buy low sell high' and I agree with your partner in that prices are very high right now and there does not seem to be anything of real value so why not hang fire for a few months?
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Jeems wrote: »
    So I'm taking the plunge and opening a S&S isa finally. Lots and lots of reading, I think I'll never be able to read it all anyway so want to take the plunge sooner rather than later.

I put £10k into an old cash isa earlier this year so want to invest the remaining £5240. In the new financial year, I will be able to top up the full allowance almost immediately - would people recommend drip feeding or just putting 20k straight in? Would that depend on market conditions at the time?

I'm probably gonna go for the VLS80 as my main fund with maybe 2/3 other funds to compliment (still researching). But regardless, I want to get it up and running and add funds in the near future.

Initially I was going to go for Halifax share dealing but I'm thinking if I've only invested such a small amount now, would it better to go Charles Stanley/Cavendish first so I can open multiple funds and only be charged 0.25% on £5240 (£13). Then when I'm happy with my chosen funds, I'd transfer the lot to Halifax and then top up next years ISA allowance. So no fee's for opening the funds. Or is that too much hassle to save £50 or so on platform fees?

Finally, if I purchase a fund that's not available via Halifax, what happens if I transfer my portfolio across?

Cheers all

Think of the psycological factor. If you put it all in you are only taking the same risk as those who are 100% invested. But if the market drops 20% next week you will probably feel worse than those of us who have been in for many years. Which may make you more likely to panic and sell before the market rises again :(
    General rule is whatever you are investing for 5 years or more put it all in and hold your nerve. Try and forget about the prices over the next five years because the only price that matters is the price on the day you sell.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    StellaN wrote: »
    I think your partner could be right but it's all a gamble! I know the old saying 'time in the market' however, there is also 'buy low sell high' and I agree with your partner in that prices are very high right now and there does not seem to be anything of real value so why not hang fire for a few months?

From my own research I feel that nobody can 'time the market' and as you say it's all a gamble. However, I have to agree that there does not seem to be any real value at the moment so maybe your partner is right to hold back a while?
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 January 2017 at 5:53PM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If that is the case then you may as well go with a managed multi-asset fund instead. There are plenty of those with better track records than vanguard.

Examples please of better actively managed multi-asset funds with better track records than Vanguard VLS80 for instance?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...If not, then she will have to invest before the 5 April and you never know prices may be even higher.
    Just as an aside... Depending on what service provider she uses she can still deposit the money in to the ISA account as cash. Don't confuse putting money in to an ISA and investing the money in to investment(s).

She could then make several smaller investment decisions over the coming period of time.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    MonroeM wrote: »
    Examples please of better actively managed multi-asset funds with better track records than Vanguard VLS80 for instance?

Any of the ones with track records longer than 5.5 years for example, have a 'better' track record, because you can see how they have performed in market conditions that weren't favourable for every asset class.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure