Reclaim CPP article discussion

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Rotti wrote: »
    I have been on to several people at HSBC and they are adamant that they don't have to pay out pre-2005 even though all the advice is to pursue it - CPP and the Ombudsman (officer not CS agent) have told me they should pay out but they say that 10 year period was not regulated so compensation is not applicable.
    If you've made a formal complaint, HSBC's "full and final" response should have detailed your right to refer to the Ombudsman.
    .because the date of the letter from CPP is AFTER April 5th the tax falls in the 2014/15 tax year and even though I haven't pay tax for years they have told me to wait for a year so that I can fill in the miserable interest on my savings in case I owe them anything!
    I can't believe you're making such an issue over £14.30! Regardless, HMRC is not known for swift refunds. I also still can't see any "conflicting" advice. You were told it was a "simple" process to claim a tax refund, you weren't told it would be refunded immediately.
    Interestingly though their opinion was that it should not have been paid on my behalf.
    Whose opinion exactly? I doubt you have received an official response to that effect.
  • Rotti
    Rotti Posts: 232 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you've made a formal complaint, HSBC's "full and final" response should have detailed your right to refer to the Ombudsman.

I can't believe you're making such an issue over £14.30! Regardless, HMRC is not known for swift refunds. I also still can't see any "conflicting" advice. You were told it was a "simple" process to claim a tax refund, you weren't told it would be refunded immediately.

Whose opinion exactly? I doubt you have received an official response to that effect.

I am sick of everybody who has a claim or complaint raised against them sending back pathetic responses and referring me to one ombudsman or another - what cop-out! They should be dealing with it properly themselves, not dragging it out and making more work for everyone.

I WILL make an issue over £14.30 as I do not have any income and it is MY money not theirs! And if you add up all the money they are getting from non tax payers through this I suspect it is a large amount. Why should they keep it? And why should it not be instantly repayable if it shouldn't have been paid in the first place? You obviously have a paid job of some kind to be so high and mighty but don't advise others not to pursue what is rightfully theirs!

The opinion that you question was that of a senior manager at HMRC who confirmed what the agent was telling me. Why do you have to question everything??
  • Rotti

I also still can't see any "conflicting" advice. You were told it was a "simple" process to claim a tax refund, you weren't told it would be refunded immediately.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there! I am not talking about what you can see necessarily but all the different agencies involved giving different advice online and on the phone - circular buck-passing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for your contribution to the thread, Rotti.
  • I just wanted to say that I wasn't going to bother with trying to claim back CPP until I registered with this site....but I'm so glad I did!
    I didn't have much information to hand so just filled in what I could on the claim form (also followed the tips from this site) and sent it off with not much expectation of much to come back. I was thrilled to receive a cheque for over £400 - fantastic! Thanks so much Martyn!!
  • As like my post re. CPP, I wasn't going to bother with claiming mis-sold PPI's as I thought getting money back from banks only happened to other people, but after joining this site I thought that I would at least give it a try. I phoned the bank for a form, I barely had any information about previous loans so just put "no information to hand" in most of the boxes, sent it off with very little hope of a positive result. I was stunned to get a refund of just over £7500 from them! I'm still on cloud nine!
    My advice to anyone not sure whether to "bother" is... go for it!
  • dottyf
    dottyf Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Received £310 from CPP. At the same time I rang Santander regarding payments for 1994 to 2004. Within two weeks they have sent me an offer for £260. All very easy. Santander were very efficient and polite with few questions other than policy number etc.
  • Hi if Santander and other banks are paying HSBC must be in the wrong surely there must be some legislation to go at them with Its so frustrating that other banks are paying up
  • Rotti
    edited 30 April 2014 at 2:49PM
    Hi if Santander and other banks are paying HSBC must be in the wrong surely there must be some legislation to go at them with Its so frustrating that other banks are paying up

I spoke to the Service Quality people at HSBC yesterday and registered my disgust! I suggest every HSBC customer on here does the same - 0800 881155[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]0800 881155. I told them that it was well documented now that other banks are paying so why aren't they. I also questioned the use of so many different names on correspondence - HSBC, CPP, Cardguard - when she had just told me that they were one and the same. So she has gone off to check their stance on this as CPP were adamant that they (HSBC) should pay. Time everyone under the same umbrella was singing from the same hymn sheet methinks!
    [URL="skype:+44800881155?call&origin=FFTB/SPNR/7.1.15383.6004/http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php"]Call[/URL]
    [URL="skype:+44800881155?sms&origin=FFTB/SPNR/7.1.15383.6004/http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php"]Send SMS[/URL]
    [URL="skype:+44800881155?add&origin=FFTB/SPNR/7.1.15383.6004/http%3A%2F%2Fforums.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshowthread.php"]Add to Skype[/URL]
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
  • Rotti
    Sorry about all the extra Skype rubbish in the last post - it won't edit out but I think you get the general idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure