Need not Want.

Comments

• HI all, this is a great ethic.

I am going to subscribe if thats ok. I need to reenforce my good behaviours instead of periodically falling off the wagon!
    Trying to shift that debt!
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Well today was meant to be a NSD but then heard that boots had their gifts reduced by 75% today. Thank god alot of it had gone so was tempted to buy things I wanted. got a hair kit for my sister birthday in two weeks from £10 to £2.50 to go with her vouchers so still under £20 birthday budget. Also got a pair of football slippers reduced from £12 for £3 and matching mug down to £1.50 so will put away for dad for birthday as never know what to buy him. Will take the money out of my christmas present tin to replace what I have spent. Did treat myself to a nice little purse which I wanted for when I go to boot fairs etc. I will take it with me instead of my other purse and once its empty its all gone.
    Got mum to get me the big No7 gift set for birthday this year december as by then will be out of beauty bits and at £18.50 it has everything I wanted in it.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • Well I just read an article about how they measure deprivation, and though you might appreciate this; going through the entire list of things they use to measure poverty levels, I was thinking to myself 'is that a need or a want?'

The list included taking a 1 week holiday once a year, whether you're able to afford a car, a TV, or telephone. I think a few of those would be wants, instead of needs.

I did need to buy some throat sweets today, as I have a chest infection taking hold. I'd like to nip it in the bud if I can just now...
  • Katpin
    Katpin Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2013 at 10:41PM
    Hi everyone,

Loving the 'need not want'. Was having a big think about this. I am honestly struggling to think of my needs this year outside of the basics. Ideally would like to cut my dependency with using my car for work as it's a significant expense, but can't see a practical option at present. will keep trying this year.

Biggest aim for me this year is to pay off my car loan, carpet loan and wardrobe loan from moving house last year. Already got rid of my credit card and paid off everything for our wedding last year (2012 was definitely an expensive year!). Then I will hopefully be in a position financially to start a family :D

Good news is I've started selling some old wedding things on Ebay and am making quite a bit of money back - all good to add to the emergency fund :T
    No Debts except Mortgage :beer:
    Mortgage Term End Feb 2043 :mad:
    Savings Goal £11,000/£50,000:T
  • suze1_2
    suze1_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    QUOTE=365days;58612827]Sorry been missing in action - Following Ofsted I have had some other dramams to contend with. Mum got rushed to hospital, admitted and operated on, all recovering well. Then, while I was away, someone decided to kill their partner in our street !! We have come back to a crime scene.........

Petrol costs through the roof this month so far, and phone too (brother lives in States) Also had a takeaway while away and hospital parking charges. So eye off the ball hugely, but one of those things. Will need to travel again soon. Has highlighted to me that I need an emergency fund to deal with these things that 'crop up

Have two extra days at work this week, which I hope I can do, but all dependant on if i need to go back to Mum's or not.

Need to re focus!![/QUOTE]

365days - sorry to hear about your mum & hope things are improving?! I agree that we need to be honest about our spending so here goes......... Past few days going great guns, with NSD on Sun, Mon & Tues :) Then got the email about the Boots 75% off sale!!! I'm good, but I'm not that good ;) Spent £18 but got 7 Sanctuary gift sets, which will do nicely for birthdays, teachers end of term pressies etc. Luckily alot of things had sold out, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to resist. Some mega bargains on here! Talking of things I can't resist, I have quite a long list - clothes, shoes, bags, smellies, face creams, ear-rings!!! These are all my weak spots! Need a firm resolve :)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    'fession time for today - went into the B00ts sale and spent £40 :eek:

But three gift sets are for DM to give as xmas gifts so that's about £18, got two pj cases for girls at xmas (£4 each), and a handbag jewel for £1.50 for a friend's b'day. Did treat myself to one also as I've got really paranoid about putting my bag on the floor in places in case it gets nabbed, and also got a S&G set (just one) as a treat - I do love their stuff so for 9 full size products it was a good deal, but deff a want not a need.

Must say how lovely all the staff were, and most of the other shoppers - not too much grabbing going on though lots of items being swiftly put into baskets.

Pj cases made up for me missing the Owl and !!!!!cat hats and scarfs in Sainsbobs (and if they have them again this year I'll know to look out for them and nab them for 2014 :D)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I needed to go and buy some food tonight, the fridge was empty, no veg left. I suppose I could have put it off for a few more days, and just ate what I have in the cupboards and freezer, but I crave fresh fruit and veg, so I had to go. Got a good haul, four bags, loads of food for £6.86, nearly all yellow stickers. :j
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Well , I am sorry to say I will be buying a sledge for the kids at lunchtime - we are set for loads of snow and the kids wont be going far! I might get a bottle of wine too. My weekend is starting today!
    Trying to shift that debt!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Well I just read an article about how they measure deprivation, and though you might appreciate this; going through the entire list of things they use to measure poverty levels, I was thinking to myself 'is that a need or a want?'

The list included taking a 1 week holiday once a year, whether you're able to afford a car, a TV, or telephone. I think a few of those would be wants, instead of needs.

I did need to buy some throat sweets today, as I have a chest infection taking hold. I'd like to nip it in the bud if I can just now...

This is so true. Most people have no concept of what true proverty and hardship are all about. I had a small taste of it (nothing like that endured routinely in the likes of Asia and India), but it made me realise that our lives are far too comfortable. We have heat on tap, we dont even have to chop the wood. We have water, we dont have to go get it, let alone purify it. We have more food in our houses than most people in the developing world could dream of.

I've really started looking at our lives over the last few years. That big TV, nice, but not necessary for life. That shiney new car, is it really necessary, or is the one you have just fine? Coffee maker? Seriously?

We go to Boots (mea culpa) and we end up spending £40 on smelly gel which we quite literally wash down the drain. A bar of soap is 40p and does the same job, probably lasts longer too. Somehow, it all 'seems' necessary at the time, but is it? I dont believe so. We've been conditioned by repeated adverts to buy buy buy stuff and somewhere along the line, it almost became automatic to most of us.

Of course, we know why and its becomming increasingly obvious to most. While we dig ourselves even further into personal debt, the banks can leverage the debt 9 times to literally manufacture money out of thin air. The problem is, as with any giant ponzi scam, it all comes apart sooner or later. We're already beginning to see the money roundabout slowing with the credit crunch. This year, for the first time in a very long time, more money was paid back than borrowed from the banks and it is quite frightening. With the money paid back, and the debt discharged, the banks have less to leverage which will ultimately lead to a sharp correction in everyone's living standards. It wont be quick, more gradual than that, but slowly, it is becomming more obvious to even the common man what is happening and where this is going.

The few like us who have realised this, have made a committment to get rid of their debts and live for need rather than want, will be the best placed to handle this sharp correction because we'll be used to it. If the masses believe life without a TV is unthinkable, imagine how much of a head start we have just by realising that a bar of soap is the essential instead.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2013 at 1:56PM
    Its not so strightforward to compare the absolute poverty of parts of Asia and Africa with the UK.
    I was never more happy than when staying with an NGO in a remote area of Malawi. There was no electricity, TV, running water, bathroom, shops - just dirt tracks and subsistence farming. All I had was the clothes I stood up in but I've never forgotten the happiness of the people around me in spite of the harships they endured. I took some bubble mixture with me - never did I see so much joy in children than chasing a few bubbles.
    The difference was that I knew I'd return to the UK in a few weeks (Sooner if I got sick). The culture shock was astonishing when I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure