PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making an offer on a house that needs complete refurbishment.

2»

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:36PM
    We offered £10k less than the asking price of £145k on our bungalow as it needed loads of work. The offer was refused...but they did accept £138k.

A similar bungalow down the road needing just as much work is still for sale at £145k because the vendor will not drop the price, it's been for sale for two years.

Anyway..I think £180k is too low. I would offer £220k and be prepared to go slightly higher.

Also, as someone says, some people,like us, actually prefer a doer-upper as you can do it to your own taste and style and there are often original features.. We have kept the original 1930s doors in our bungalow, just painted them instead of the brown varnish that was on them when we bought it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    As people say an early very low offer could get you locked out keep that so don't stick anything on the table too soon.

open negotiations with the EA without a price, try to asses where the vendor/EA reality is, use your examples and the work needing doing, you need to get the vendors to make the first move down to close the gap
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Speak to the EA. Their job to broker a deal. You may get a better understanding as to why the property is valued as it is.

Your builder quoted £60k. That includes £10k of VAT you won't recover in terms of increased value in the house.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Your builder quoted £60k. That includes £10k of VAT you won't recover in terms of increased value in the house.

... and upwards of £20k profit by the sound of it.
  • We completed on our bungalow in August - 1966 3 bed and everything needed doing - boiler, wiring, windows, doors, flooring, decor, kitchen, bathroom, garage roof etc (we're not living there whilst everything is going on). We had 204k accepted (only 6k under the asking price) - others within 100yrds with identical layout that we viewed at the same time were on for 250k where they were already 'done'. I had a frank face-to-face conversation with the EA about the amount of work and the money we had and they pitched that to the buyer. We'll have spent around £30k by Christmas and will have all the 'big' stuff done - having said that we've been using independent people rather than one over-arching contractor doing everything.

I think having a face-to-face with the EA is invaluable in these situations (and having a realistic vendor is also helpful!). Good luck :)
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any update on this?

Totally agree with just chatting with the agents. eg 'we think the selling price is a bit unrealistic, are the sellers really looking for x value?' We had a chat, something similar, and agents told us what the sellers would accept. OK they could have been lying and the sellers might have accepted less than that. But the price they mentioned was actually less than what we were prepared to pay up to! In the end they did accept less than the agent told us!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Suspect the update is that the OP didn't get the answer they wanted to hear and are trying elsewhere for a more favorable response, because, ultimately, they can't afford the property.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was in a similar situation. I liked a bungalow that needed lots of work: new loft conversion, boiler, radiators, full rewire, kitchen, toilet, bathroom,all rooms need decorating with new carpet, garden needed new fences plus loads of other things like new turf etc.

Due to all the work the property was on the market for ages and was advertised at £285k. When I looked at the property it had already been dropped to £265k and I put an offer in for £258k which was excepted.
    I have been in the property for a year and have completed nearly all the works. To date I have spent approx £60k.
    £60k seems a lot but this includes a new loft conversion with en suite. Similar properties down my road have sold recently for £330k so I should be fine getting money back.

So no I don't think you are being cheeky offering a low amount as its clear you have to spend a lot on it. But you may have to wait a while before the price is lowered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure