Reclaim CPP article discussion

Comments

• contribute wrote: »

I wonder if he used the redress scheme to claim for the post 2005 years.
    Very likely.
    contribute wrote: »
    Hopefully HSBC will agree to the whole lot. Worth a try.
    HSBC won't pay out post 2005. The CPP redress scheme closed almost two years ago.
  • I received a cheque from CPP for £120.00, however just found it!
    its dated april 2014, can I still cash it in, or do I have to reapply?
  • I received a cheque from CPP for £120.00, however just found it!
    its dated april 2014, can I still cash it in, or do I have to reapply?
    You can't re-apply. The Redress scheme ended almost two years ago.
    No reported successes in this thread of anyone having expired cheques re-issued.
    Here's the official reasoning behind this;
    Section 5.10 of the High Court's Scheme Arrangement:

Any cheque not encashed within six months shall be cancelled and the Scheme Claim to which it relates shall be deemed to have expired and such Scheme Creditor shall not receive any Redress and shall have no right of recourse to the Dispute Resolution Procedure. (Can be found here: http://cppredressscheme.co.uk/Scheme_Document.pdf)
  • thanks for the info, one thing I find extraordinary, there is no mention on the cheque or attached paperwork, that the cheque expires in 6 months...
  • thanks for the info, one thing I find extraordinary, there is no mention on the cheque or attached paperwork, that the cheque expires in 6 months...
    Why should there be?

Most people will cash any cheque they receive at the earliest opportunity, not over two years later!
  • EzeJ
    EzeJ Posts: 8 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Hello.
    I need some help and advice on the following situation. I took out a couple of credit cards from different lenders, all of which was sold with PPI attached. Having read through your blogs, I have noticed that the PPI in each case were missold to me. I had a very hard time managing these credit cards and in the end heaped up a huge debt. One of the primary reasons for not being able to keep up with the repayments, etc is due to the fact of paying for the PPI on top of the actual credit card bills.
    In the end, I could not pay of these debts totally and some have now disappeared from my credit report. Also, I have not had any correspondence from some of these lenders in the last 7years. I was adviced by a friend that these debts are now statute barred and have been written off by the lenders.
    Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?
    Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? If so, could you please guide me on how to approach this claim, please. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. Could you help me with how I could trace all the lenders, please? And how I can make this claim. Thank you
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    EzeJ wrote: »
    ...Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?...

Yes.
    ...Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? ..

The rules on statute barred debt don’t actually make the debt go away. All they do is prevent a creditor from going to court to get money from you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/how-to-dispute-a-credit-debt/time-limits-for-recovering-debt-in-court/
    .. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. ...

CPP is credit card protection, not PPI.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello.
    I need some help and advice on the following situation. I took out a couple of credit cards from different lenders, all of which was sold with PPI attached. Having read through your blogs, I have noticed that the PPI in each case were missold to me. I had a very hard time managing these credit cards and in the end heaped up a huge debt. One of the primary reasons for not being able to keep up with the repayments, etc is due to the fact of paying for the PPI on top of the actual credit card bills.
    In the end, I could not pay of these debts totally and some have now disappeared from my credit report. Also, I have not had any correspondence from some of these lenders in the last 7years. I was adviced by a friend that these debts are now statute barred and have been written off by the lenders.
    Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?
    Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? If so, could you please guide me on how to approach this claim, please. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. Could you help me with how I could trace all the lenders, please? And how I can make this claim. Thank you

PPI was typically around 70p per £100 of debt. Your PPI premiums were not even remotely a "primary" reason for your debt, if anything you should have claimed on the PPI if you lost your job or were too ill to work.

If debt was written off by the lenders it simply means they have agreed to stop chasing you, your debt still exists and they will use any PPI refund to offset the money you didn't repay except where they sold the debt on with no way to get it back.

Your only way to trace lenders is your own memory or checking your credit record with Equifax, Noddle and Experian which will show the last 6 years. No claims company can do this for you
  • I followed the procedure in MSE and escalated my claim to the Financila Ombudsman. However they replied that as they did not regulate CPP until 2005 they cannot help. MSE stated that you could claim pre 2005. Has anybody had a sucessful claim via the Ombudsman?

Ray Smith
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Yes, my neighbour was successful this month re HSBC's Card Guard protection 1997 - 2002.

HSBC sent the standard letter stating the above (indeed it was so standard that it referred to "your client" as if she was a claims company, even though she complained as an individual). She escalated to the FOS and HSBC then repaid the sums paid plus 8% pa Interest.

It is true that the post-2005 CPP compensation scheme has now closed, however.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure