What can you claim if your employer goes into liquidation

So my gf works 16 hours per week she gets working tax credits as she can’t work more hours as she has 2 children to look after. If the company she works for goes into liquidation will she be entitled to be benefits until she finds another part time job? She is worried standard job seekers won’t be enough to pay the bills and she doesn’t get housing benefit as she has a mortgage she pays. She get some maintainance for the girls but it’s ad hoc one father hasn’t paid for months as he lost is job and the other struggles to give her £100 month so she’s worried about what money she will have if this happens and what she can claim

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    What age are her children?
  • 13 and 7 years old
  • Darksparkle
    It would be JSA she’d be looking to claim then. She’d continue to receive child tax credits also.

Why is she unable to work more than 16hrs if children are in school?
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It would be JSA she’d be looking to claim then. She’d continue to receive child tax credits also.

Why is she unable to work more than 16hrs if children are in school?

Not a lot of Term time jobs I would imagine.
  • Darksparkle
    bspm wrote: »
    Not a lot of Term time jobs I would imagine.

Kids are in school for 30hrs a week though, still scope to work more than 16hrs.

And plenty of parents don’t work term time. Tax credits can offer help with childcare costs.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Kids are in school for 30hrs a week though, still scope to work more than 16hrs.

And plenty of parents don’t work term time. Tax credits can offer help with childcare costs.

True they are in school 30 hours a week but what about school holidays?

I have no idea about Tax credits as I never claimed them, we worked around our children, but then we were in a secure relationship, no idea how you get on when you are a single parent, I was merely commenting on how someone is supposed to work more than 16 hours a week when single with children.
  • bspm wrote: »
    True they are in school 30 hours a week but what about school holidays?

I have no idea about Tax credits as I never claimed them, we worked around our children, but then we were in a secure relationship, no idea how you get on when you are a single parent, I was merely commenting on how someone is supposed to work more than 16 hours a week when single with children.

The OP simply stated she can’t work more because she has children. Plenty of parents (single and couples) work full time. Your response doesn’t really answer the question as presumably she works 16hrs per week all year round so must require childcare in school holidays anyway. As I said, tax credits can offer help with childcare eg out of school clubs and childminders.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A lot only work 16 hours as that's the qualifying amout
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Darksparkle
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    A lot only work 16 hours as that's the qualifying amout

Well aware but doesn’t mean they can’t work more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure