Where to find broker advice

Hi

Currently regular investing in a S&S ISA with self selected funds with III. I’m not completely happy with the quarterly trading fee so wondering what other options exist and where to read more.

I also have a junior ISA linked but unfortunately can’t share the trading fee between the two accounts :-(

I’m not interested in regular share trading which II gives me.

Any advice welcome

Cheer

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 December 2017 at 7:58AM
    The fixed fee II platform is intended for customers with a high account valuation.

If you trade infrequently it's worth considering Halifax / iWeb or for smaller balances then consider percentage only fee from Cavendish Online or Charles Stanley Direct.

If you are happy to be restricted to Vanguard (and friends) funds then Vanguard Investor is a very low percentage fee.

My son's Junior ISA is with Orbis Access and they are currently offering £100 if you transfer and then no fees (platform or fund) on the transferred balance or contributions invested in the first 12 months until the child is 18. But they only have 2 funds which are medium and high volatility and and the fund fees on further contributions after 12 months can be high if they outperform the benchmark.

Alex
  • HiZ
    HiZ Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks - what is considered high value with regards to II?

I make monthly investments and ~5 lump sums per year but they’re sporadic.

Will look at Orbis.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 December 2017 at 8:03AM
    Ok sounds like your trading activity would fit within the II £90 annual fee. On Halifax SD that would cost £99 (£12.50 + 5x £12.50 + 12x £2) or iWeb would be a £25 setup then £85 (17x £5) but neither offer so much fund choice.

For comparison on funds Cavendish charge 0.25% platform and no trade fees. So the break even point against £90 fixed fee would be £36k.

Or Vanguard Investor (if you are happy with only choosing between their funds) charge 0.15% so the break even point against £90 fixed fee would be £60k.

If you are over these values (or expect to be in the near future) then it might make sense to stick to II.

In the accumulation phase it usually makes sense to start with a percentage fee platform then as the value increases move onto a fixed price platform.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    It depends on the amount involved and to some extent whether you are invested in mainly funds or shares/ITs/ETFs.

Here's an article from DIY Investor
    http://diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/selecting-your-diy-online-broker.html

and also Monevator
    http://monevator.com/two-ways-to-help-you-find-the-best-online-broker-or-investment-platform/

Hopefully between the two you can work out the best option for your move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure