Nationwide are changing underwriters

I had a letter from Nationwide who insure my house and contents. They are switching to Royal Sun Alliance (RSA). They say I'll get comparable cover and all the policy details and premium will be sent to me before renewal.

I looked up RSA to check out their standing and at Trustpilot they have 14 reviews, 100 per cent 1 star, so rated bad!

This concerns me. What do people think?

When I switch energy providers I aim for a balance between price & customer service ratings.

Nationwide have always given me good service (for banking) but is that going to be let down on the insurance front by RSA?

Anyone else use them?

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are a "good" Insurer with good cover and claims handling.

However...I tend to avoid placing business with them where possible as I have had a number of clients where they have made a couple of claims and RSA have then "underwritten" the policy. This basically means they amend the cover to try and avoid future claims.

For instance, if you made a couple of accident damage claims, eg knocking your TV over and then had a further claim at a later date for spilling something on your carpet. It is likely that RSA would either delete Accidental Damage cover from the next renewal or apply a punitive excess for A/D claims.

Whilst all Insurers can potentially underwrite your policy if you have a couple of claims. I find most tend not to but RSA are very very keen to do this.

I would not put you off RSA as they are a good Insurer but if you find an equally good Insurer offering similar cover and premium, personally I would go with that
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I looked up RSA to check out their standing and at Trustpilot they have 14 reviews, 100 per cent 1 star, so rated bad!

Trustpilot does not reflect reality. R&SA are no better or worse than other mainstream providers. You wouldnt put them up there with the top quality providers but certainly better than bottom end. Upper middle would be about ballpark.
    This concerns me. What do people think?

Stop relying on Trustpilot. It's a rubbish way to measure a company. A scam site we looked at earlier in the year had a very good trust pilot rating. Its totally unreliable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Look at the reviews for Nationwide then:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.nationwide.co.uk

Doesn’t stop me and I’m still with them.

Im sure RSA are better than DLG though...
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Never had a problem with nationwide (or many other companies) and never felt the need to rate any company on trust pilot or any other rating site.

People tend to rate companies when they have had a bad experience, they are less likely to rate a company to give positive ratings.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    !!! wrote: »
    Look at the reviews for Nationwide then:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.nationwide.co.uk

Doesn’t stop me and I’m still with them.

They are utterly abysmal at answering the phone though. Don't think there's ever been a time when they haven't been experiencing 'exceptionally high call volumes'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure