Banks that offer gender neutral titles

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Had this issue with Nationwide recently. We have just renegotiated our mortgage, and as our house insurance is due for renewal soon they offered to give us a quote. When I was put through to the man doing the quote, he greeted me as 'Mrs Spouse'. We talked about the cover I needed, and when he was asking for my husband's details, he asked my to confirm his title. I pointed out that he hadn't asked me to confirm my title, and that come to mention it I actually prefer 'Ms'. He said, and I quote, that 'if I want to change my title on the policy I can take proof of ID in to a branch'. To change to Ms?? In other words to change to a title that could show me as being either married or not married? What sort of ID exactly would they need??

And no, he didn't appear to need any sort of ID to put OH down as 'Mr' or me as 'Mrs' - I guess because those titles suited his heteronormative view of the world.

Luckily the quote was way higher than the insurers we are currently with.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I did have to just check that the HSBC thing wasn't an April Fool, but sadly it doesn't seem to have been. "Mre" and "Sai"? REALLY?
    Mysterychaucer ... Sighchaucer ... What a brave new world, people.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Surely it would make a lot more sense to simply remove titles and use names?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bazzyb wrote: »

But that would mean Sirs, Ladies, Dames and Lords wouldn't look better than us plebs.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    bazzyb wrote: »
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But that would mean Sirs, Ladies, Dames and Lords wouldn't look better than us plebs.

When I worked for Nationwide Building Society I seem to remember that the list of possible titles was huge. My favourite was 'Lord The Admiral'.
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    To quote HSBC, "sigh"
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Surely this was the primary reason behind the introduction of the generic Ms term many years ago, does your bank not recognise this?
    Mojisola wrote: »
    So use Ms. I've been using Ms since the early 70s, single and married.

You are both assuming I don't already use Ms.

Was just saying that I hate being defined by marital status when men aren't.
  • gazebo
    gazebo Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    To answer the original question - in theory, if you are able to provide proof of your gender identity, then yes, you could have Mrs on your card.

It isn't as simple as asking to change your title as has been demonstrated by the other responses.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always find it amusing when women complain about being called "Mrs" and "Miss" because they don't want to be defined by marriage. But then the same people go on to complain that they also won't use "Ms" because it gives the wrong impression!.

Atleast they have a choice, us men only have Mr and there are no other options!.

Personally i think "Ms" is the perfect title because it is the same length as "Mr" and it incorporates the both common letters in "Mrs" and "Miss". There is no other title for a woman that that could be as equal to "Mr" for a man".
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gers wrote: »
    You are both assuming I don't already use Ms.

Was just saying that I hate being defined by marital status when men aren't.

I don't understand - if you always use Ms you can't be defined by your marital status.

Mr - adult male.
    Ms - adult female.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family