From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Options
    Hi honeysuckle, just dropping by to cheer you on everything seems to be going ok for you now, glad you are feeling better, I feel for you with the tooth issue, I am in the middle of dental work too.
    :beer:
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi Drawing a line, thank you for dropping by. :)

Today was taken up with household jobs. I did give up at one point, put the toddler in his wellies and we got sowing. He seemed to enjoy helping me to fill pots and seed trays. I repotted 3 lupins into larger pots, planted a red hot poker into a pot and sowed some nigella and snapdragons. These are a different variety to the ones I sowed a couple of weeks ago. This variety is very striking as its red on one side and a creamy colour on the other, aptly named "Night and day". Also unearthed a heater propogator that I'd bought a couple of years ago and hadn't got on well with it. I decided to move it so that it is near a sunny windowsill rather than the darker window it was near. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Was a NSD today which is somewhat a relief after recent days. Back to work tomorrow, packed lunches are done, so hopefully on track for another NSD tomorrow.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely day. I'm no gardener but I used to love sowing seeds etc with mine, they used to find it so fascinating! Must see if there's something easy I can plant in our garden this spring that they might enjoy growing.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    Oh, so so jealous of your gardening. I am beyond rubbish. Was so excited to buy a house with a garden after always living in flats, only to discover I am a useless gardener and have zero interest in getting better! Not helped by our house being empty for two years before we moved in. I have plans for a nice minimum upkeep garden, just way down the list of things to use our limited funds on.......
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi TReadingnplaymobil, thanks for dropping by! I do love this time of year, it's so hopeful, especially when you take small seeds and a few weeks later have the miracle of germination. I've found calendulas, cornflowers and sunflowers easy to grow with children. The different sized and shaped seeds make them easy to handle. They are all hardy annuals so will happil grow outside from March onward. Summer bulbs are useful too for splashes of colour.

Hi a Drawing a line, what is your garden like? What would you like it to be like? Have you thought about perennials that can be planted and come back year after year? Small shrubs like Euonymous can give colour that almost pales into the background in summer but really stands out and gives colour and shape to a winter garden....it's very low maintenance.

Back to work today. Was hoping for a NSD but we were running low on milk so had to get that. Lovely apple and summer fruits crumble for pudding using frozen berries from the allotment.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Another busy week at work. Haven't unfortunately managed any NSDs. Thank you Zippygeorge for the advice last week. I got the computer company's number, explained the situation and they said they would refund the money in 5-7 days. I wouldn't have thought about speaking to them and asking for a refund, so thank you for your advice. :j
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay to your refund!

I had a small patch in my old house, potatoes, runner beans and rocket were a success but didn't really managed to grow anything else. I would love to try again but the house I'm in now is rented not sure they would appreciate me digging the garden up.

My DD1 is in her first year at 6th form so we will be thinking of uni at some point this year, how did she get so old!

Well done with your meal planning, really need to get back on track with mine.
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi Kerron, thanks for dropping by!

Time has gone so quickly! DD1 has now been invited to an accommodation open day by one of the universities that have made her an offer. Am amazed that they do such a thing, but what a good idea! We didn't have chance to see accommodation on interview days so will be good to get an idea of what is available and the cost.

Can you grow some veg in pots? Have done runner beans and peas successfully in large pots. They just need a fair bit of watering. I'm going to write myself a list this week so that I sow one lot of seeds each day after work. Otherwise I find that March will be half way through and I won't have sown much at all! The camellias are a riot of colour in the garden at the moment. I really enjoy their colour against the grey of a February sky.
  • kerron7
    kerron7 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's really good, how far away from your home is the university? DD wants to be able to come home every night....she's a bit of a home bird, which would leave possibly 2 universities within a manageable travel distance, although she still doesn't know what career path she's wants to take.

Yes growing in pots is an option, I will have a think about it this week. You garden sounds lovely, mine is very dull at the moment.
    Emergency Fund - £50/£500
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The university is about 200 miles away, so not a bad distance. I went 450 miles away so 200 miles doesn't seem too far! Am looking forward to seeing the place as I was ill when it was her interview so my parents took her.

It is hard isn't it for children to make decisions career wise? My Dd2 is really struggling to decide between different further ed options and DD3 doesn't know which GCSE options to do.

Simple pasta dish for evening meal. The children love pancakes so are very much looking forward to pancakes for tea tomorrow night. Made sure I stocked up on eggs and milk as we make huge amounts of mixture. Now that DD1 and 2 are older we take turns at the cooker!

Haven't made my NSD target for February:( Hope to be more organised in March. Do find having the NSD helps in thinking through organisation and limiting spending.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family