PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Another carload to the dump - old table, old saucepans, tattered curtains, bag of rags. I also now have 5 bags for the cs and a full paper bin. Needed a paper balloon shade and lo and behold found 2! Have also moved bedside cabinet and small dressing table up to my room. Latter may not stay but will do for now. Still a bookcase to move into attic ds is helping.
    And yes iammumtoone I too am aiming for xmas 2017
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Sa1sysoo for the 2017 chapter of what will be my struggle to get rid of stuff!

Did well over 2016 and finally plucked up the courage to try and sell some bits and bobs online. This has went really well and I will continue to do so as well as recycling and donating.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    I am in this year! I don't have to declutter, but I do have to make sure that I don't backslide and let the clutter build up again.

In 2016 I was decluttering for a prospective house move, that ended up in me being homeless for a time. Having to pay for storage with no knowing when and where I would eventually unpack really did focus the mind, and I ended up getting rid of so much stuff! You know what? I don't miss any of it!

So even though, at the time, I thought I had pared things down, now I think that there is still room for improvement. I am currently with family, but will be joining in when I get home in the new year.

So good luck to all, and here's to a happy 2017 of no clutter! :beer:
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope its not classed as cheating but I have started already :) only from yesterday so my year will run from 28th Dec - 24th Dec 2017 (I want a nice shiny clutter free house ready for next Christmas) will post list once I have a few more items on it.

I have a whole house of hoarded [STRIKE]processions[/STRIKE] junk to clear so think 2017 items will be fairly easy.

The best time to start is always 'now'.

I've a mirror, a large piece of wood, very long pelmet and a large work surface which all need to go that were here when I moved in 7 years ago. With no transport I have no idea how that will happen but I need to find a way. They are cluttering up a cupboard that my step ladders, hoover and one box of odds and sods are in, as well as it being the meter cupboard.

I've an empty TV box that I bought after mine died on Boxing Day. That will be easier as I can break it down and put in the bin.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • I am so going to try and do this. My house is more full of things I still have to use, I like to call it than clutter. Everything looks tidy, everything is away in organised drawers and cupboards (apart from the attic which is basically every school book, picture my kids have ever used or drawn) but I have too much.
    Especially trial sized, lotions, creams, freebies samples.
    I am going to try and remove one item per day more than I take in, from the house, it may not seem a lot, but at the end of the year it will be 365 less than now .
  • O a lovely new thread, I'd love to join too please and definitely in for 2017 items. We have decorated a few rooms this year so got rid of quite a bit of un-needed stuff/junk but still have lots to go and a few more rooms,wardrobes and another cluttered attic here too.
    Aiming to spend less,want less and need less.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    aberdeen me too and I've been saving them for travels which is daft cos a) no one can do as much travelling as I have trial sizes for and b) travelling usually adds more to the haul! So I have put away my full size shampoo / bubbles / conditioner and creams and am using my stash, smallest first.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Frogletina wrote: »
    The best time to start is always 'now'.

I've a mirror, a large piece of wood, very long pelmet and a large work surface which all need to go that were here when I moved in 7 years ago. With no transport I have no idea how that will happen but I need to find a way. They are cluttering up a cupboard that my step ladders, hoover and one box of odds and sods are in, as well as it being the meter cupboard.

I've an empty TV box that I bought after mine died on Boxing Day. That will be easier as I can break it down and put in the bin.

frogletina

Have you tried Freecycle/freegle? Mirrors usually go well as they are so expensive. And people are always looking for what we think might be junk. Good luck.
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

Weight loss challenge 2024 - 1st quarter goal = 15/24lbs
    Pantry challenge 2024
    24 for 2024 challenge
    Prepping….the new world
    Make do, mend, minimise
  • Turtle
    Turtle Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    aberdeen me too and I've been saving them for travels which is daft cos a) no one can do as much travelling as I have trial sizes for and b) travelling usually adds more to the haul! So I have put away my full size shampoo / bubbles / conditioner and creams and am using my stash, smallest first.

This made a huge difference to me. I had absolutely loads of small bottles everywhere. Took me a while to get them all used (and I have to confess a few have crept back in, but not many), but now I know exactly what toiletries I have, what I might need, and where they all are!

I won't be committing to a certain number of items, but every year at this time I have a clear out and try and get more ruthless each year. Have already got some stuff earmarked for the tip later today :)
  • Morning All.
    Pootled around yesterday decluttering as I went. I have decent sized bag full near the front door awaiting transportation to the CS. A few unwanted Christmas presents in there, three pairs of outgrown jeans (not by me, although mine are tighter after the festivities!), and stuff not needed following a sort of basket of woolly hats, scarves, gloves, etc. Also, packaging from kids' Christmas presents all in the recycling. Other than those cards from close family, Christmas cards have all gone in the bin after making suitable ones into tags for next year and putting those away in my Christmas drawer with the cards and wrap I bought in the sale for next year. I was restrained and only bought what I am likely to need :T.
    Right, best get up, showered and dressed so that I get stuff done today! It's beautiful outside, white over after a visit from Jack Frost.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family