PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I do think it bad that just before acknowledging defeat in a call to Trump, the Hillary camp sent their supporters home with a 'we could still win it' and so far Hillary has not appeared. Surely her supporters deserve better.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For large scrounged (where I have no choice on size) rounds I use a grenade

Strewth! Won't that reduce them to matchwood? :)
  • mardatha wrote: »
    Woke up to a covering of snow and it's still on. YAAAAAY I LOVE WINTER :j:j:j

Oh how I wish!!! I hope you enjoy your snow!!
    I think a lot of Americans will be feeling much as a lot of Brits did when we woke up to Brexit.

I have a sudden new understanding for the Europeans appalled fascination with us, from safely across a dividing strip of water...

Me, with the weather forecast, I had a Snow Day booked, so I can look out at the snowflakes & lean on a warm husband & sip tea.

Can I join you? The other half is off today and I would love nothing more than watching the rain from our sofa with a decent hot choc than at work freezing (though I'd freeze at home to, but I have blankets!!)

I've started to go through this thread but just wondering if anyone has something kind of like a day to day bug-out-bag? I'm thinking I would like to add items to my daily backpack so I have the essentials with me when I'm out and about.

Also started to add other items to my shopping list to pick up this weekend. I seen this and I wondered if anyone has anything like this and whether it would be worth it? I lack usable "storage" space in my kitchen, but I know if I store food items anywhere else I'm likely to forget about it!
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • Oh how I wish!!! I hope you enjoy your snow

Also started to add other items to my shopping list to pick up this weekend. I seen this and I wondered if anyone has anything like this and whether it would be worth it? I lack usable "storage" space in my kitchen, but I know if I store food items anywhere else I'm likely to forget about it!

LFC , I have loads "like" that, :) only mine are made from cardboard and duct tape :A , lol wish I could figure out how to do pics
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Also get a bag/box for the car - more winter preps than bug out really. We once got stuck up on the moor road in a bad blizzard. The snow plough came along and took my two sons into their cab to keep them warm, and then dropped them at a farmhouse beside the road. All the stranded motorists met up at the farmhouse - with the wife making us cups of tea. And later that night the plough got stuck and the 2 man crew had to be lifted out by helicopter the next day. Our car was stuck up there for 5 days :D
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone see this today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37919292

Rather cleverly sneaky I think to require the old notes to be paid into a bank account before new notes can be issued.
  • Am feeling more and more compelled to prep, but not sure what else I can practically do? Really stunned at the US result and very concerned for those people Trump attacked over his campaign, they must be feeling very insecure just now. Between that, Brexit, and the worsening position in social care in Scotland (my work arena) I'm feeling quite insecure myself :(

Need to look to my safety net, see if there's anything else I can do to future-proof myself and my family.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If the rounds are too big I'm not sure a log splitter will help. How did you try and split those logs? For large scrounged (where I have no choice on size) rounds I use a grenade and sledgehammer. Two grenades available in case (for when!) the first one gets stuck. For smaller stuff I use a cheap maul, although I'd love a Gransfors-bruk!

If you've got lots of reasonable size logs to split then fair enough, but I'd check the specs before you buy.

Silverwhistle, I was trying with a grenade & sledgehammer, but it seems my swing ain't what it used to be; I just succeeded in getting the grenade stuck without any signs of the log actually splitting! It's no good asking OH to do it as he simply doesn't/won't understand logs & fire & will just place them round the back of the shrubbery for stag beetles to hibernate in... bless him! This was just a van-load of (seasoned) cedar logs from my brother's old garden, but I live close to a meandering riverbank where large willows are forever splitting & dropping huge branches; the council will send men to cut them into manageable sized chunks, but they are then left for the citizenry to cart away & use as they will (yes, I have checked!) rather than try to get a chipper down onto very soggy clay which is undercut in places. So there's a pretty constant supply of decent logs available, if you can store them to season (tick) then split them down... hence my query; if there is a cheap & cheerful one that might do a reasonable job, it'd probably be a worthwhile investment for us.
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Evening all.

LFC, my daily out-and-about bag is a messenger type, not big. The main compartment contains the stuff I use for work. The side pockets contain a number of other things which are there in the event of being denied access to my home on a temporary basis such as 24-48 hours.

As follows; enough life-essential meds for a couple of weeks, basic washkit, torch, some painkillers and plasters, small bottle hand sanitiser gel, couple prs clean knicks and a basic wash kit. All pack very small and I don't really notice that they're in there.

The other week I went out of my flat in the morning and was surrounded by an event (mass police presence, several cops armed with some species of sub-machine gun, four GSDs and their handlers and gawd knows what else. I tried to find out what the flip was happening but was told by one officer that I couldn't go back 'in there' - being my home).

SuperGran told me that this went on for nearly 4 hours. I was heading out for the day, booted and suited and with my trusty bag. Good job I hadn't just nipped out to the local shop in my flipflops and no coat, hey?

Re Trump, hmmm, interesting article about the election in last week's archdruid report, which might cast some light on the motivations of the electorate, for those who might like to have a gander.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2016 at 9:32AM
    Just a light covering of snow here in Cumbria. All very pretty. But I remember the days when I wondered if I would get to work without the car going off the road. And then if I would actually get home from work. Or hours struggling to complete what would normally be a half hour journey.
    Snow is lovely just so long as you don't need to get anywhere or have others relying on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure