Banks that offer gender neutral titles

Comments

• Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 April 2017 at 11:26AM
    Of course, despite the hype which usually surrounds this type of story, I doubt that there will be all that many that actually use one of these prefixes. Most people just want to get on with their day.
    I could found my own church and call myself Reverend and, I suppose, they would be obliged to use this title. But what actual difference does it make to anyone......only me.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • AllieKat
    AllieKat Posts: 109 Forumite
    To change to Ms?? In other words to change to a title that could show me as being either married or not married? What sort of ID exactly would they need??

And no, he didn't appear to need any sort of ID to put OH down as 'Mr' or me as 'Mrs' - I guess because those titles suited his heteronormative view of the world.

Luckily the quote was way higher than the insurers we are currently with.

It's absolute clueless insensitivity. Most titles have no legal meaning and anyone can use almost any title they want (exception for professional titles, titles of nobility, etc). I usually use Mx. It can also cause issues with credit reporting agencies not recognising it as a title, treating it as part of your name, and then splitting accounts off your credit file. Currently trying to get Equifax to fix this (haven't bothered with Experian, who has the same issue but sees Mx as an alternate name of mine LOL).
    MyUsername wrote: »
    I have noticed a couple of times in the Daily Mail this week that banks are offering more gender neutral titles to people who don't identify as any gender and I was wondering what are the rules with it and which banks offer it? Also as someone who is male could I in theory have "Mrs" on my card if I wanted to?

Sure, legally that's not a problem at all. Some banks will match it up to gender field and block usage. Really, title and gender both should just... not be there. Gender has no relevance to banking and neither does title, and the Data Protection Act should give us reason to only collect relevant personal data. GDPR goes further in this, so hopefully more remove title and gender (shout out and kudos to Monzo Bank for using neither title nor gender).
  • Depressing thread
  • Do people really waste time thinking about these things?
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My husband has a card that says Mrs on it (we filled the form out incorrectly when applying and haven't got round to changing it). And I have a number of cards with no title. Creating new titles seems a bit excessive.
  • Give it a generation and there'll be those berating those who refer to God, Allah or whoever they do or don't follow as a He.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I just call myself the gender-neutral Dr.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    In the past I've been known to use titles such as 'Messrs' or 'Rev' or even 'Rt. Hon' when buying stuff online if the title box has allowed. :D
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ive just applied to do a PhD and am very much looking forward to being able to call myself Dr :D
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    MyUsername wrote: »
    I have noticed a couple of times in the Daily Mail this week that banks are offering more gender neutral titles to people who don't identify as any gender and I was wondering what are the rules with it and which banks offer it? Also as someone who is male could I in theory have "Mrs" on my card if I wanted to?
    Mrs is not gender neutral.

I’ve had a gender neutral title with my bank for years (Dr.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure