The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

This Duo's debt free journey

Comments

• I think we get so engrossed in debt busting, that we forget to save a little bit to live on and have some fun.

If it takes longer, but is a more pleasant journey then it will be worth it that way too.

I'd like to go for Christmas 2018 too x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hope you're having a lovely snowy time! In Cork we've had precisely none!
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The snow has gone now and its left behind deadly ice, DS finally went back to school today after the school being closed for 3 days and I don't know how I didn't fall over. DS fell over once but nearly fell many more times.

I'm really happy today, almost finished the last piece of work that is due in before Christmas and my last day at uni tomorrow.

I started a challenge to pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with vouchers, my current pot if up to £150!! This is just from this month and without counting my PA earnings. I did some research recently that was for £100 voucher, I received this today but they had given me £110 instead. I am so happy with this and it means that I don't have to worry at all about birthdays until April time. Trying to make around £650 over the next year to cover everything and it really feels possible now, just another £500 to go and then that should be everything covered gift wise.

Nothing much to update on other fronts, my envelopes are still looking healthy, haven't had to fill my car up yet this month and have around 3/8s of a tank left. If I can stretch it out and make that last until the end of the month (unlikely) then I will have £55 that I can pot for the SPC.

I have added one person to my Christmas list (just a token gift), over the last few days my neighbour has checked on me twice when he's been heading out to see if we needed anything picking up, he left some chocolates on my door step for Christmas last year so I have decided to get him a little something. It will cost less than £5 but I really appreciate him checking on me so I want to say thank you for being the only nice neighbour I have.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Fantastic news on the voucher front and such a good idea to save them for presents - you've inspired me to have a look at some of the survey sites when I move back!

Get that last piece of work done and enjoy the satisfaction :cool: you've worked really bloody hard and deserve to have a wonderful Christmas x
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • That's great that you've finished uni now for Christmas :T. Have a fabulous weekend.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So I don't currently have any life insurance, I've always thought it was pointless unless you owned a home. Had a quote via top cashback for £8.87 per month with £70 cashback after month 4 so I could effectively get 7 months free. Going to compare prices properly later on although anyone's opinion on life insurance would be gratefully received.
  • Life insurance is essential if you have a child. If you have a works pension there is usually some sort of life insurance in there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thank you enthusiastic saver, I guess I have always thought that he would be fine because he's surrounded by people who adore him. For such a relatively small amount I guess its something worth investing in for him. Will do some thorough research tomorrow and get some set up.
  • I had life insurance once I had little one. It does give you a little peace of mind that they will be ok.

I think he will appreciate the little gift, even if it is just some chocolates he will be happy that you have thought of him. That's a really nice neighbourly thing to do.

Are you doing anything nice today?
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Well my life insurance is set up, £5 a month for around £60k which increases each year and I got £78.75 cashback which will be paid out in 6 months time.

I think I am going to get him a pack of beers as it is something I see him putting in his recycling. I must pop out and get some food in this week so I will get them then.

I don't have anything planned today, going to try and get some studying done and will try and do some surveys.

DS has asked for bunk beds so he can have sleepovers so I am currently trying to work on this, I am going to do it for his birthday so will be working on earning enough amazon vouchers to cover this but also cover everyone else's birthdays along the way. I think I will probably need around £400 in vouchers by April to achieve this, depending on what beds I find, not completely impossible but definitely not easy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure