price comparison sites can be misleading

i have recently reviewed my energy costs and find the whole process misleading.
on moneysupermarket.com the savings were neglidgeable and correct - on martin lewis the money saving champion the actual costs per kwh were higher than what i pay but it was claimed i would save 250 quid per year - how!

Comments

• tikplas wrote: »
    the actual costs per kwh were higher than what i pay but it was claimed i would save 250 quid per year - how!

It's impossible to say without more detail. But most energy suppliers offer a range of tariffs, and one of the key differences is often high standing charge but low price-per-kwh ... or conversely, low standing charge and higher price-per-kwh. If you use a very low amount of energy, then the second option can often work out cheaper overall. I suspect it's something along these lines that is giving you the quotes you're seeing.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The figure of £250 or so is widely quoted for anyone who has never swopped or has been on a suppliers standard tariff for a year or more.

What is your situation ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • tikplas wrote: »
    i have recently reviewed my energy costs and find the whole process misleading.
    on moneysupermarket.com the savings were neglidgeable and correct - on martin lewis the money saving champion the actual costs per kwh were higher than what i pay but it was claimed i would save 250 quid per year - how!

How do you know the information provided to you on moneysupermarket.com was correct?

Are you aware that all the price information that the MSE CEC uses comes direct from the same moneysupermarket.com comparison site?

If you click on "Feedback & info" on the appropriate tariff shown to you on the MSE CEC, it will provide you with a full breakdown of the tariff costs (not just the unit charge) as used by both moneysupermarket.com and the MSE CEC and that will allow you to check the calculation yourself if so inclined.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure