Ground Source Heat Pumps

Comments

• I've struggled to find a circlip too that fits, so if you end up with a good source let me know!

LGSHP - will check out the square base next time I'm home in a couple of weeks.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    frslam wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies, very helpful and knowledgeable. Yes lovesgshp, I've already bled air out of the tank, always the first thing I do. Last time I had work done on my system, replacing a circulating pump inside the GSHP (floor heating - was actually a leak in the joint above it) I asked the plumber to check the strainer for the ground loop (inside house - flow). I told him there should be a retaining circlip holding the filter in place. He took the screw cap off and there was nothing there, no circlip and no filter. I was watching at the time so I know he's telling the truth. The only other time that was opened was when an engineer came to service the Heat Pump under warranty, it needed a new 3-Port valve. I know while the engineer was here he told me he was going to clean the filters. I wonder if he dropped something behind the GSHP which would be inaccessible. On another note, does the E7 + HT consume the same amount of energy when it's space heating as when it is water heating, and what is the actual consumption when it is running? Any links to where I can buy the filter and circlip would be appreciated, hopefully there'll be no long term damage of the GSHP because of the missing parts.

If you can find a Worcester Bosch supplier in your area, then he should be able to supply the filter and clip, as the IVT unit is the same as supplied to them under the Greensource name.
    With the power used to produce the DHW, then yes it does increase. I have some charts of the levels, but unfortunately not on this laptop.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • beardymarrow
    beardymarrow Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 4:21PM
    Hiya, I put some notes on the circlip size, and suggested source for them, here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72402873&highlight=circlip#post72402873

For the price of them £4-ish for 2, I'd suggest getting both sizes and seeing which one works.

Hope that helps.
  • lovesgshp wrote: »
    DW. Sorry to hear that changing the pipes did not solve the problem.
    I didn't see the pipes get changed with my own eyes - and the 'new' ones look identical to the old. Should I be worried, or are these red and red/blue ones what they all look like?

iEWKGrq.jpg
  • lovesgshp wrote: »
    there is a possibility that the black immersion heater unit could be partially blocked as the flow does go through that. Are there any rust stains around the very bottom of that unit? ( there is a square base, which has a seal and I have had one case where the seal had slightly perforated and caused a rust build up inside the unit, but it did also show outside as well).

I can't see the square base, but it looks like there is a small leak there.

ha17Xk6.jpg

LtT96Qg.jpg

frEy9he.jpg

YVLIvvh.jpg

RyjSQCs.jpg
  • Hi Dee, that's the compressor. The electric cassette (which I think is what lovesgshp meant when he said "immersion heater") is at the top just under the 3 way valve. It's a long black round thing.
  • Hi Dee, that's the compressor. The electric cassette (which I think is what lovesgshp meant when he said "immersion heater") is at the top just under the 3 way valve. It's a long black round thing.
    Ah! Such technical terms meant I could put my hands on it straight away this time - and it seems fine.

KJsFYG0.jpg

I'm now a bit worried about the compressor as it seems to have a tiny leak, and a bit worried the flexible hoses were never replaced.
  • The metal end on that hose doesn't look new to me. Could just have been in the back of a damp van for ages, of course. I'm not qualified to say if the compressor leak is a big problem, or not, but maybe lovesgshp can ask his friendly engineer.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Dw and Beardy.
    Compressor looks OK, and is probably just some condensation staining. When the pump starts, you should see a few air bubbles initially in the refrigerant feed glass to the compressor, which will stop very quickly.
    With the 2 replacement hoses, I agree with the comments made by Beardy, as would have thought the plumber would have left the old ones for you to confirm they had been changed.
    With the electric cassette, turn off the power, remove the one side of the cover, that is easy access, and check there is no water staining around the square base of the fixing plate, as this has only a seal. You will see all the electrical feeds into the base of the unit.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • JHen
    JHen Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hi, my radiators upstairs seems to be cooler than the downstairs radiator, especially the radiator further away from the Heat Pump. Is there anything I can do about this or are radiators off the same "feed".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback