IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Looking For Advice - Considering Paying Parking Charge

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies and, sorry for the delays, have been busy with work and family life.

@Coupon-mad - Thanks for the re-assurance, I will try to remain strong for now :).

@IamEmanresu - I have had two PPC notices in the past (this one being the second), from different companies, in different locations. The first one was a year or so before this and I have never heard from them since the initial letters came through. That might actually be 4-5 years ago now. Other than that, the only other thing that could potentially be an issue here, is that the place where they are referring to on the PPC, is on the same street as my work. I am worried that they will try to suggest that since it was during the working week, on the same street as my place of work, then it was me who was most likely the driver, regardless of what I say,

@Blibble - I never responded to any of the previous communication. It was complete radio silence from me.
  • ummagoomba wrote: »
    Other than that, the only other thing that could potentially be an issue here, is that the place where they are referring to on the PPC, is on the same street as my work. I am worried that they will try to suggest that since it was during the working week, on the same street as my place of work, then it was me who was most likely the driver, regardless of what I say,.

I understand your concern. However.....

How will they know where you work?

Even if they do know that you work in a building on the same street as where the car was parked, the onus is still on them to prove that you were the driver that day.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You're overthinking, overcomplicating and overworrying about this.

If you think that any PPC is going to have to jump through significantly more hoops in Scotland than they would in E/W (where even if they win, they lose, as it costs more than they can recover) where it would likely cost significantly more in terms of both effort and £s, for just £130 - you've definitely overestimated their case.

You've not told us who the PPC is; this will help us provide better contextual advice. If, as many Scotland cases are, it's Smart Parking - well they're no problem.

Please tell us who exactly is chasing you on this.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • System
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    You're overthinking, overcomplicating and overworrying about this.

If you think that any PPC is going to have to jump through significantly more hoops in Scotland than they would in E/W (where even if they win, they lose, as it costs more than they can recover) where it would likely cost significantly more in terms of both effort and £s, for just £130 - you've definitely overestimated their case.

You've not told us who the PPC is; this will help us provide better contextual advice. If, as many Scotland cases are, it's Smart Parking - well they're no problem.

Please tell us who exactly is chasing you on this.

Thanks for the re-assurance and, sorry for not mentioning the company. PPC is from Smart Parking and the letter from Debt Recovery Plus. I feel more settled now though, so thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to respond. It is much appreciated.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ummagoomba wrote: »
    Thanks for the re-assurance and, sorry for not mentioning the company. PPC is from Smart Parking and the letter from Debt Recovery Plus. I feel more settled now though, so thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to respond. It is much appreciated.

Well, here's Smart's record of court appearances in England and Wales:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Smart_Parking.html

Over two thirds of a million tickets issued in two and a bit years and not one single court case - ever - in that time.

Do you really think you could be their first ever in the UK, and for just £130?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • System
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Well, here's Smart's record of court appearances in England and Wales:

Over two thirds of a million tickets issued in two and a bit years and not one single court case - ever - in that time.

Do you really think you could be their first ever in the UK, and for just £130?

I hope not..lol Thanks once again, I feel re-assured. Was just beginning to have doubts because I wasn't expecting this to rear it's head again but you and the others have been brilliant. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure