Adding a video card

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 October 2016 at 7:36AM in Techie Stuff
Hi all newbie question alert
I have what appears to be an onboard graphics issue with my Dell Vostro PC where it dies on boot with the message ACPI PCC probe error. Then freezes nothing loads
My research suggests this is not fixable so can anyone advise if I add another compatible video card I can bypass this ?

Also if this will work would it be the PCI express or PCI type of card I would need?
These are the only selections I have in my BIOS settings apart from onboard

Thanks for any help it's appreciated
:j

Comments

• Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:18AM
    Are we talking Linux and Nvidia here ?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/613969/acpi-ppc-probe-failed-starting-version-219-nvidia

If so try adding nomodeset to kernel boot config to turn off kernel mode setting as indicated in above.

More information needed, such as OS, video card etc. Can you supply the service tag info, it will pinpoint the h/w better ?
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    a cheap PCI-E card and the correct BIOS settings may well solve your issue, unfortunately you'd have to actually try it to confirm. For a cheap option try something like this:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/737789-asus-geforce-gt-710-1gb-ddr3-vga-dvi-d-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-710-1-sl

or borrow one if poss
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • ferry
    Sorry to raise an old thread but just need a bit more advice on a graphics card before I commit. My Dell Vostro 220s is a slimline model and I take it I'll need a low profiled card.
    Also, as its slotting into into a PCI space, will the spacing between the pins be an issue? For instance the one I have my eye on has 3 sections of pins but the PCI slot is a solid run of slots...if that makes sense!

Cheers
  • Fightsback
    ferry wrote: »
    Sorry to raise an old thread but just need a bit more advice on a graphics card before I commit. My Dell Vostro 220s is a slimline model and I take it I'll need a low profiled card.
    Also, as its slotting into into a PCI space, will the spacing between the pins be an issue? For instance the ione I have my eye on has 3 sections of pins but the PCI slot is a solid run of slots...if that makes sense!

Cheers

Are you running Ubuntu or Mint ?
  • ferry
    edited 18 October 2016 at 11:59AM
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Also, as its slotting into into a PCI space, will the spacing between the pins be an issue? For instance the one I have my eye on has 3 sections of pins but the PCI slot is a solid run of slots...if that makes sense!

Cheers

It sounds like you maybe describing the difference between PCI and PCI-E. They are not comparable with each other. So you will need check what slot you actually have available.
    3 sections of pins sound like the old style PCI.
    All slots are basically just 1 solid slot, but has notches in them.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:17PM

Be aware that's an AGP graphics card.
    I would have thought the Dell Vostro 220 would need a PCI-Express grahics card?
    (long black or blue socket)
  • Fightsback
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:25PM
    Running Mint 17.3

Hurrah at last !

The card you have linked to is AGP, I believe your model is PCIe however to confirm that can you post the service tag info to be able to accurately determine what hardware you have ?

Edit:

Just thinking was Rage 128 Pro support dropped for Mesa ages ago ?
  • ferry
    Service tag : 22HR74J

Thanks again for the ongoing help
  • Fightsback
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:36PM
    According to the service tag, your PC originally shipped with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-ATI-Radeon-HD3450-PCI-Express/dp/B004MTFXMU

Can you confirm if this is the current card in your machine ?

If that is the case then I suspect you may have run into a bug regarding Ubuntu/Mint around the time of Kernel 3.19, the are plenty of hits about the new Acpi-pcc and errors. Try installing/upgrading to Mint 18.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure