We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help! Dead rats in the garden!

Comments

• susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We had a dead pigeon in ours last weekend, hubby bagged it up and put in normal bin, we then drained all the water out , and the rain yesterday has refilled it, so I'm sure it will be okay to use this water
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    musemad wrote: »
    seriously though I think you should contact the council they will give free advice on what to do and maybe identify if you have a serious pest problem:eek:

Ditto.

Rats do carry disease. You will need to empty the water butt and maybe clean it with something before allowing it to refill.

Contact the council for their advice.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Really sorry, but my instant response would be..........

No wonder your f*rt's smell.

Bumbum
  • musemad
    musemad Posts: 177 Forumite
    susieb wrote: »
    We had a dead pigeon in ours last weekend, hubby bagged it up and put in normal bin, we then drained all the water out , and the rain yesterday has refilled it, so I'm sure it will be okay to use this water
    Personally i would disinfectant it first after it had been emptied.
    But it is not as though it is for human consumption anyway so you should not worry too much:D
  • OK, removed the rat from my butt and drained out all the water.

Huge it was - now bagged and binned.

The council want to come round and put down poison, but isn't that rather dangerous for other animals particularly cats?

Thinking of getting myself a cat anyway.

Cheers
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    musemad wrote: »
    icon1.gifDead rat in my butt:eek:

Well that is a title and a half - it will have everyone looking !:D:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I did:o

Perhaps we can get this for post title of the month?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Iom-rf
    Iom-rf Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    I doubt you actually need poison down, after all this was outside at the end of your garden, not in the house!
    :confused: What Happened To Summer!? :confused:
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Supernova wrote: »
    OK, removed the rat from my butt and drained out all the water.

Huge it was - now bagged and binned.

The council want to come round and put down poison, but isn't that rather dangerous for other animals particularly cats?

Thinking of getting myself a cat anyway.

Cheers
    It won't be dangerous for other animals, as the bait will be put in rodent sized only traps, or pushed down the rat holes he may find.

A cat won't keep rats away, it might help a bit, but it can't be everywhere at once, ten cats might I suppose :D

Any rough overgrown bits in your garden, clear up and look for rat holes.

And I would say to the last poster, yes it does matter, rats carry disease and constantly wee everywhere, you want your kids to be playing on the grass a rat has played on the night before? Or yourself to be digging in the ground where a rat defecates all the time?

Oh and any food that might be being left out overnight, clean it up, anything that a rat might eat.... which is pretty much anything.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Thanks all.

Yes the garden is intentionally wild, maybe too much so, it seems!

Cheers
  • Iom-rf
    Iom-rf Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    And I would say to the last poster, yes it does matter, rats carry disease and constantly wee everywhere, you want your kids to be playing on the grass a rat has played on the night before? Or yourself to be digging in the ground where a rat defecates all the time?

Oh and any food that might be being left out overnight, clean it up, anything that a rat might eat.... which is pretty much anything.

Rats whether you or anyone else likes it or not are everywhere the saying "[SIZE=-1]you're never more than 6ft away from a rat", which is totally true, if you want to get rid of them or keep them out of your garden, make sure there is no food anywhere (Fruit from tree's etc) left on the ground.

Plus if you put poison down the rat while crawl away to die, which may be your house or your neighbours, same problem really![/SIZE]
    :confused: What Happened To Summer!? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport