Great 'Your Top Tips For New Uni Students' Hunt

Comments

• I'd say don't bother with individual licenses. As long as you have one for the house, the TV licensing people aren't going to come over and check. Their records will say that your house is covered, and that's all they're bothered about. In theory, you do need a separate one if you have a lock on your door, but unless you invite a TV licensing person into your house to have a look - WHICH YOU DON'T HAVE TO, then they will never know. You never have to let one of their inspectors in unless they have a court order - which is extremely difficult for them to get. And if the worst comes to the worst and they find out and expect you to pay for a license, in my experience they don't fine you if you just pay ASAP.

There have been crackdowns on halls of residence recently, be aware of whether you are legal or not.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've never been a full time student (part time while working is a bit different!), but the one bit of advice I would give is - if you get into serious trouble, with money or anything else, don't be afraid to ask the uni for help. There will almost certainly be someone who can give you advice or assistance, but they can't help if they don't know there's a problem.

(And yes, I do work for a university! :o)
  • gemmacarolyn
    gemmacarolyn Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've never been a full time student (part time while working is a bit different!), but the one bit of advice I would give is - if you get into serious trouble, with money or anything else, don't be afraid to ask the uni for help. There will almost certainly be someone who can give you advice or assistance, but they can't help if they don't know there's a problem.

Most Unis, if not all, will have a hardship grant, or loan, they can give you. There are a lot of criteria, but if you are really in need, they will help you financially. As CCP said, don't be afraid to ask!
    Best 2018 wins: £1500, £500 John Lewis voucherBest 2019 wins: 18 of the latest DVDsBest 2020 wins: £100 cash 2021 wins: 130 books 2021 wins: Jubilee silver necklace 2023: 8xfootball shirts, Spar vouchers, £200 Tesco voucher,
  • b00kworm
    b00kworm Posts: 39 Forumite
    It has been said before but again JOIN SOCIETIES!! There are no drawbacks if you can pluck up the courage to go in the first place. :oYou can meet new people and you will already have at least one thing in common. They often organise socials so are a cheap night out and by going to a society meeting or sports session in the evenings you often won't want to go out every night anyways :beer:
  • RUTHIE
    RUTHIE Posts: 7 Forumite
    You don't have to pay loads to get a room full of student belongings insured. Your parents just ring their contents insurers and they will probably include yours free.
  • WelshSun
    WelshSun Posts: 246 Forumite
    Some unis also provide contents insurance for halls too!
  • RUTHIE
    RUTHIE Posts: 7 Forumite
    Students need to get their stuff insured but get your parents to ring their house contents insurers who will probably add you room full of stuff free.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Humphrey10 wrote: »
    If you know or think you might be dyslexia, dyspraxic, have Asperger's, or anything else at all that could affect your studies, don't be embarrassed, go and speak to the student support people at the university and get assessed. There is a lot of help available (essay writing tips etc, and help with the cost of equipment).

!
    i think this is most important - i have just recived funding and now recieved th goods for a brand new laptop, printer scanner, dictaphone, support for exams etc all because im dyslexic they have a big fund to help disabled students

my biggest tip however and i don't mean to sound a killjoy is start planning your work the day its set because the last thing you want to be doing is rushing around to write four essays last miniute

at University your personal opinion will only be accepted if you can find someone to back you up referencing is important

Have lots and lots of fun ..and if your going to derby university - then you never know i might see you there

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    WelshSun wrote: »
    Some unis also provide contents insurance for halls too!
    endsleigh insurance do great student deals for halls when i was in halls in 2000 it was about £10 for the year

check them out - at freshers fair

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • START UP HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
    Get a plate, bowl, etc from your parents if poss, or from a charity shop. Ask people you know if they have a ... spare before you buy anything. Our Halls cleaner gave me a kettle, plates, cutlery and had plenty more stuff to give away.

FOOD
    If you live in Halls or a shared house where people steal food, get your own fridge. I got one in a sale for £5 and since I now live with people who all share food anyway I'm giving it away.

Find friends to cook with a split the cost. Cook together or take turns. Much less work and better food for less money!

In a shared house where everyone gets on, try bulk-buying non-perishable items such as pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, baked beans, toilet paper etc online. Sainsburys has a good internet shopping site (much clearer than Tesco's) and if you bulk buy about £100 of stuff (only £25 each between 4) you get free delivery.

Buy fresh fruit and veg from local grocery stores. If you'll only eat one banana and forget about the rest (so they go minging) then only buy one banana.

Grow herbs like basil on your window sill.

GOING OUT
    Only take a certain amount with you e.g. £10-£20 and put aside a bus/taxi fare home.

Work out where the cheapest clubs and bars are. Ask some 2nd years you bump in to if you've not yet discovered them!

SPORT AND OTHER SOCIETIES
    These mostly have a membership fee. If you're into a sport, definitely join the society. It'll be much cheaper than doing the activity outside Uni. If it's a political society, ask what you're paying for before you join. If you think you might like to join but aren't sure, then hold off, and ask around to see if anybody else has gone and what they think of it. You're more likely to use the membership you've paid for if you go with a friend!

BOOKS
    Use the library. If there is a core text-book there will often be several copies of it in the library and at my Uni there are 'no loan' copies that are always there for you to look at.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure