Beijing, Xian and Shanghai in October

Hi All

Off to China in October - any tips appreciated as we only have 9 days to do a whirl wind tour of the major attractions. Beijing 3 nights, Xian 2 nights and Shanghai 4 nights. Cheers.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    First tip: cut out at least one of those cities. Otherwise it will be intensely frustrating, spending time travelling with no time for sight-seeing when there.

Second tip: try to spend some time out in the countryside. Maybe you could go from Beijing to a distant and rural section of the great wall.

I hope that you are planning internal travel by train. Hard sleeper is fine -- a good way to meet friendly people, and of course saves a night's hotel bill. If you fly, you waste a lot of time travelling to/from airports and hanging around there. But make sure that your train journeys are reserved as far in advance as possible.

Do make sure that you have Nationwide cards in order to get access to your money: they work in the ATMs at Beijing's airport, and many other places. No need for an airport taxi -- the shuttle bus from the airport is very convenient and affordable.
  • fruitpie
    fruitpie Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Voyager

Thanks for the quick reply.... all booked I'm afraid - so can not change anything. Understand totally about time travelling and distance, but annual leave from work dictate time !

A quick taster in each city, and hopefully return next year with more time available.

What do you recommend for Beijing ? We have an all day tour booked to take us to the wall and Ming Tombs - is it worth going to the Tombs - I have just read somewhere that its boring and not worth a visit ? Cheers
  • ianfao
    ianfao Posts: 144 Forumite
    The tombs are quite dull. make sure you go to Tianeman Square and The Forbidden City. Are you still doing 4 nights in Shanghai? I would have had an extra night in Xian and Beijing and 2 nights in Shanghai. Xian is an excellent city to explore. Make sure you go to the muslim quarter and also walk around the wall of the city.
  • fruitpie
    Hi Ianfao

Thanks for your input.. 3 nights Beijing. 2 nights Xian and 4 Shanghai.

Of course like Voyager2002 says - its travelling time in between cities. We arrive at 09.30 in Beijing, and so will check in at the hotel and then straight out again.

Been trying to find info regarding the Ming Tombs - it does look a bit un-interesting/dull ! Any further tips ? Cheers Mate.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've gor no advice to give but just wanted to say hope you have a great time :)
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The forbidden city is a Must! Try to get to a less commercial part of the Great Wall if you can. Terracotta Army is amazing at Xian. Have a look at "Travelsphere's " tour brochures online. They go to all the tourist hotspots. the summer palace was good too. I really cant remember all the places we went too. It all went by in a blur! Can't wait to go back and do it all at our own speed.
  • Dasnookster
    Dasnookster Posts: 282 Forumite
    I did a ten day tour a number of years ago now, went to Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and Guilin. Had an excellent time and the length of time in each place was not a problem at all. Of course if you have no time limits extra time everywhere would be ideal, but as you have time constraints - as I did - its great to see different areas of a country, plus the fact that everything is so different from the UK that everywhere you go - even when you are travelling, there are many many things see.

We went to the Terracotta Warriors and found that quite interesting.

One word of warning, I tried to take a photograph of an old lady sitting at the side of the road shelling nuts and she went absolutely beserk and chased me, throwing handfuls of shells at me!!!! Apparently some Chinese people feel that you are stealing their soul by taking photographs of them!!! I laughed later, but it quite shook me at the time.
    You never know how far you can fly, till you spread your wings.
  • ianfao
    ianfao Posts: 144 Forumite
    Hello again. In Beijing also go to the Temple of Heaven. It is best to go early in the morning ie around 8am as you will also see all the oldies doing their Tai Chi exercises and it is absoloutely fascinating to see. If time allows try and go out to the Summer Palace.

I wouldn't worry too much about the zoo unless it has changed greatly since I went. If they haven't all been pulled down to make way for skyscrapers do a tour of the Hutongs which are the old style housing areas. Also the bell tower and drum tower are interesting and give great views of Beijing.

If yo ugo to the markets make sure you haggle and haggle hard. Whatever price they start at make sure you go very low and then meet about half way. Walk away and they will call you back I promise.

In Xian make sure you have the noodles they are so tasty. Also watch them being made it is very impressive.

My other top tip would be to make sure when you are in restaurants do not eat the food with your chopsticks by placing them directly into the food. Spoon the food out of the dish into your bowl. If you are sat at a table with a lot of people all dipping their chopsticks into the food and then into their mouths and then back into the food, well need I say more!!

You will have a fantastic time and remember that China is not a holiday it is an experience and you will need a holiday when you get home.
  • jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    hey, im doing this tour in January so will you let me know how it goes and what is a must and what is a dont do. im going with travelscope, if you are too let me know if they are any good. enjoy

on another post someone suggested the opera and ballroom dancing in the squares - hopefully they will return with more info
    Ready to Go Go!
  • fruitpie
    I've gor no advice to give but just wanted to say hope you have a great time :)

Thanks Black Saturn... can hardly wait to go now... :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport