Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    I'm late to the party but AFAIAC you were taught incorrectly.

Not according to my extensive research.

I was taught correctly, at the time, and it seems the rules on pluralisation have changed over the years, with 6 words being given exceptions.

Up until the 80's, "rooves" was still the taught word on the standard English curriculum - I've found evidence for this in Australia, but not UK at this time. However, of note, it is still the taught word in New Zealand for example.

Even NOW the word is taught as "rooves" here in the UK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/flatmates/episode116/languagepoint.shtml - although you could argue that is outdated somewhat?

This link suggests the word was taught until the late 19th Century, but I am not that old: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_plural_form_of_roof_-_roofs_or_rooves

So, whilst doing my research I was horrified to learn that "leafs" is also OK? :o
  • Andy_WSM
    Options
    Well spoken people would say:

The birds are building nests on the rooves using leaves they found nearby.

Chavy riff raff would say:

The birds are building nests on the roofs using leafs they found nearby.

or less chavy riff raff:

The birds are building nests on the roofs using leaves they found nearby.

Rooves sounds much more elegant and I'd rather see Solar panels on rooves than roofs, personally.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    So, whilst doing my research I was horrified to learn that "leafs" is also OK? :o

What's the plural for more than 1 Nissan Leaf?

eg "I saw 3 Nissan ?????? parked next to several solar Nissen huts with panels on their [STRIKE]roofs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]rooves[/STRIKE] walls?"

Mart. ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Andy_WSM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

eg "I saw 3 Nissan ?????? parked next to several solar Nissen huts with panels on their [STRIKE]roofs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]rooves[/STRIKE] walls?"

Mart. ;)

Please don't, I was just getting over the dumbing down. :rotfl:

"I saw 3 Nissan Leafses". - Proper, init.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Please don't, I was just getting over the dumbing down. :rotfl:

"I saw 3 Nissan Leafses". - Proper, init.

I didn't enjoy English lessons when I was in school, but as I've got older I've learned to love the 'playability' of our language:

"He opened the door in his pyjamas, strange place to have a door!"

Then there's the use of a word to mean something different, eg extraordinary to mean exceptional, yet the word breaks down as:

"it's not just ordinary, it's extra ordinary"

Looking at your post, which is perfectly correct, but if we were getting dumber, wouldn't things be dumbing up, as in, the level of dumbness is increasing.

On a similar vein, I was recently watching an American cop show where one guy says to his speeding partner, "you'd better slow up", and it struck me that we mean exactly the same when we say "you'd better slow down".

I'm glad English is my first language, I'd hate to have to learn it as a second language. :o

Mart.

PS The sun's out.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 February 2015 at 1:15PM
    Options

Mart. ;)
    How about: "I saw a Nissan Leaf and two more . . . . . " ?

& BTW a Nissen hut doesn't have any rooves - the walls curve round and meet at the top :D
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    I'm glad English is my first language, I'd hate to have to learn it as a second language. :o

I _teach_ it as a second language...

"Teacher... why?"

"BECAUSE!"
    :D
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    www.howjsay.com offers rooves or roofs.

"rooves" is only spoken in one way whereas "roofs" is spoken into two ways.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too mate, don't think I'd be able to understand if you said it in your own language, as in "llwhat's llthe llplural llfor llmore llthan ll1 llnissan llleaf"....lllol
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    edited 20 February 2015 at 4:24PM
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    & BTW a Nissen hut doesn't have any rooves - the walls curve round and meet at the top :D

Eric, not easy to pull one over on you, but that was the joke! Hope you're not slipping.

Although it did send me down another diversion, pondering whether it doesn't have rooves or doesn't have (side) walls. Also, if you were inside one, and pointed at the wall, then at the roof, at what point does the wall become the roof and vice versa. But at that stage it was all getting a little too existential.

Algoieps to all for tish nsnosne tdaoy, but I do lkie our luagngae and the way you can paly wtih it. Aslo the way the biran wroks and can mkae ssene of msot suftf, so lnog as the frsit and lsat ltreets are in the crecrot oderr.

I shall disappear back into my hole now.

Mart.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback