Claiming against Norwegian Airlines

Comments

• I'm in the middle of a claim with Norwegian which seems pretty open and shut to me. The flight was delayed for over 24 hours and the reason they've given was that there was a "possible fault with the aircraft that was later dismissed after inspection". They're claiming this is "extraordinary circumstances" but that seems a pretty weak case in this instance. From what the pilot said at the time it seems there was some kind of warning light relating to the plane's computer system that they couldn't get rid of and needed an engineer to come out and fix.

I just wondered though where people have escalated their cases with Norwegian? This flight was from the US to Copenhagen so I was thinking it should go to the Danish regulators but I'm not sure. All I've done so far is submit the original complaint which they replied to after about a month with the line about extraordinary circumstances.
  • I pursued a claim against Norwegian Air for a cancelled flight in March on behalf of 10 passengers, I used JPears and 111KAB for advice. Norwegian quoted extraordinary circumstances "staff sickness" which is not extraordinary, we received 400 Euros each plus additional out of pocket expenses, like kennel fees, loss of earnings, additional overnight hotel fees due to very late arrival at Gatwick. The rest of our party (we were 35 in total) also received compensation. It was a hard slog but if you are in the right keep going. Many thanks to JPears and 111KAB for their help and advice.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I pursued a claim against Norwegian Air for a cancelled flight in March on behalf of 10 passengers, I used JPears and 111KAB for advice. Norwegian quoted extraordinary circumstances "staff sickness" which is not extraordinary, we received 400 Euros each plus additional out of pocket expenses, like kennel fees, loss of earnings, additional overnight hotel fees due to very late arrival at Gatwick. The rest of our party (we were 35 in total) also received compensation. It was a hard slog but if you are in the right keep going. Many thanks to JPears and 111KAB for their help and advice.
    Well done Maureen Jay. Perseverance is often the key
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • castra
    castra Posts: 14 Forumite
    I'm in the middle of a claim with Norwegian which seems pretty open and shut to me. The flight was delayed for over 24 hours and the reason they've given was that there was a "possible fault with the aircraft that was later dismissed after inspection". They're claiming this is "extraordinary circumstances" but that seems a pretty weak case in this instance. From what the pilot said at the time it seems there was some kind of warning light relating to the plane's computer system that they couldn't get rid of and needed an engineer to come out and fix.

I just wondered though where people have escalated their cases with Norwegian? This flight was from the US to Copenhagen so I was thinking it should go to the Danish regulators but I'm not sure. All I've done so far is submit the original complaint which they replied to after about a month with the line about extraordinary circumstances.

No matter what the delay, Norwegian Air will always claim 'extraordinary circumstances'. (see my earlier posting on this thread and the response). What you have quoted from Norwegian is utter nonsense (from the airline) and comes nowhere close to the definition of 'extraordinary circumstances'.

Regarding in which state you should pursue the claim: I don't know the answer to that. I would expect somebody here to clarify that, or another option possibly: Contact somebody like Bott & Co with all the details. If its out of their jurisdiction, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction if they can't handle the case.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    My second claim against them, they didn't claim "extraordinary circumstances" and it went through/all paid within a month or so.

I don't know whether this was because I included an implied threat that I knew it wasn't extraordinary and that I would take it straight to the CAA, which would cost them another £150 in costs if they tried claiming it was.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • WE WON! They've finally agreed to pay! Happy days. It's worth the fight, don't give up folks. :)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well done and congratulations.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Froggitt wrote: »
    My second claim against them, they didn't claim "extraordinary circumstances" and it went through/all paid within a month or so.

I don't know whether this was because I included an implied threat that I knew it wasn't extraordinary and that I would take it straight to the CAA, which would cost them another £150 in costs if they tried claiming it was.

Just flown with Norwegian from Fort Lauderdale on a new Dreamliner. Great flight, arrived early. Loads of legroom in the seats behind the galley, row 11 DEF. In fact so much, people were using it as the cut thru to the toilets.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Received the money this morning. Nearly 6 months in all. And still not received the expenses they said they would pay. That will be my next battle. Have to say they seem to be getting more and more negative comments on Facebook. I will never ever fly with them again.
  • I'm in the middle of a claim with Norwegian which seems pretty open and shut to me. The flight was delayed for over 24 hours and the reason they've given was that there was a "possible fault with the aircraft that was later dismissed after inspection". They're claiming this is "extraordinary circumstances" but that seems a pretty weak case in this instance. From what the pilot said at the time it seems there was some kind of warning light relating to the plane's computer system that they couldn't get rid of and needed an engineer to come out and fix.

Well I've finally had some good news with this. After Norwegian got back to me to claim extraordinary circumstances I got in touch with the Danish Transport and Construction Agency (as the flight landed in Denmark). They had a form available on their website where you could indicate all the details and make a complaint. I did so and after several months they finally got back to me to say that Norwegian have accepted they'll pay compensation in my case.

I did look at some of the flight compensation lawyers but when I put my details in I just received an email back saying it was outwith their jurisdiction. Anyway my experience shows that you can in fact get results just by writing to the relevant regulator. Although it took a few months to get the case resolved, this was relatively pain free (just filling in a form) and didn't cost anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure