IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye ticket in Scotland

Hi, Ill make this short as possible. I am posting on behalf of my 74 year old nana who parked at Morrisons a week ago unbeknown the previously free car park was now run by a PPC. (Parking Eye). She received a letter saying to pay £80 blah blah blah the usual for parking longer than 2 hours.
I have looked all over and have saw that generally just to ignore this ticket and any future ones but my nana is fretting about it, so she asked CAB and to be honest they were no use, but the wifie in there said because parking eye are a member of the BPA we probably are liable to pay the fine and when I mentioned this website and others she said maybe that is onyl in England they have gotten away with it.

I dont think that is true, but my question is , has anyone from Scotland received these invoices and 'got away with it'? Or is it just Englad?
Can her credit rating be affected if she doesnt pay? I think I know what answers back will be, but its just to set her mind at rest if she has replies reagrding her specific details.

If it was me, I would just have ignored them but she lives alone and don't want her to fear that there will be bailiffs at the door or anything lol

much apprecited any help or extra info

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2010 at 2:16PM
    The law is exactly the same in Scotland as in England. Now to correct some misconceptions! For a start it's not a "fine" it's an invoice. Secondly the BPA is just a trade association for the parking "industry". It has no official standing or regulatory role. The only way bailiffs can "appear at the door" is if the case goes to court (very unlikely) the case is lost (very, very unlikely) and the sum ordered by the judge is not paid. As usual the CAB are useless in these matters.

So just keep ignoring and everything will be OK.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • trisontana wrote: »
    The law is exactly the same in Scotland as in England. Now to correct some misconceptions! For a start it's not a "fine" it's an invoice. Secondly the BPA is just a trade association for the parking "industry". It has no official standing or regulatory role. The only way bailiffs can "appear at the door" is if the case goes to court (very unlikely) the case is lost (very, very unlikely) and the sum ordered by the judge is not paid. As usual the CAB are useless in these matters.

So just keep ignoring and plaything will be OK.

:T:Tthanks for your reply. I smiled there because I have seen on others posta you mentioned its not a fine a few times....sorry lol I didnt mean to put that, I meant invoice! I'll go phone my nana and maybe she'll chill out about it. I wish it had been for me because I'd just have ignored it quite happily having read all the advice on the net. It's not right that their bullyboy threatening type tactics are allowed!! If I hadn't read about this before my nana would have tried to appeal and eventually just paid the money, it's not right this scaremongering with debt collectors etc.

Rant over :j
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,117
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2010 at 2:44PM
    Show your nana this clip of Watchdog in May this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

The legal expert making the paper aeroplane is a Solicitor, Tim Cary, who deals with parking issues and knows his stuff. Do not let your nana fall for this scam and do not let her worry about the debt collector letters that arrive. How are you going to stop her fretting over those, they WILL arrive and they can look scary.

See the letter-chain here, this is what she'll be sent:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

Maybe print the ones out that relate to her PPC and let her tick the rubbish off as it arrives?

Do tell her that Parking EYe NEVER EVER do Court, except for the time that Tasneem Patel took them to Court to get her brother's unwittingly-paid scam ticket money back. Parking Eye lost:

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_solicitor_wins_parking_ticket_case_for_brother_1_777088

No need to pay at all though of course, Ms Patel's brother's payment of the ticket was done by a hire company without questioning it - and was a mistake that was soon rectified as you can see by that Court judgment.

P.S. The advice from that CAB adviser sucks, the situation is the same in Scotland and in England and the BPA is only a members club, not a regulator. Report the CAB advice as wrong, the more people who complain about the CAB's duff advice in this area the better. If it's not clear how to complain about wrong CAB advice why not go in or phone them and ask them how to complain about them? That should make them sit up and take notice. They are so wrong - a PPC ticket is similar to a phishing email, it has no basis in law without establishing a clear contract with the driver (and they almost NEVER do).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Show your nana this clip of Watchdog in May this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

The legal expert making the paper aeroplane is a Solicitor, Tim Cary, who deals with parking issues and knows his stuff. Do not let your nana fall for this scam and do not let her worry about the debt collector letters that arrive. How are you going to stop her fretting over those, they WILL arrive and they can look scary.

See the letter-chain here, this is what she'll be sent:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

Maybe print the ones out that relate to her PPC and let her tick the rubbish off as it arrives?

Do tell her that Parking EYe NEVER EVER do Court, except for the time that Tasneem Patel took them to Court to get her brother's unwittingly-paid scam ticket money back. Parking Eye lost:

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/trainee_solicitor_wins_parking_ticket_case_for_brother_1_777088

No need to pay at all though of course, Ms Patel's brother's payment of the ticket was done by a hire company without questioning it - and was a mistake that was soon rectified as you can see by that Court judgment.

P.S. The advice from that CAB adviser sucks, the situation is the same in Scotland and in England and the BPA is only a members club, not a regulator. Report the CAB advice as wrong, the more people who complain about the CAB's duff advice in this area the better. If it's not clear how to complain about wrong CAB advice why not go in or phone them and ask them how to complain about them? That should make them sit up and take notice. They are so wrong - a PPC ticket is similar to a phishing email, it has no basis in law without establishing a clear contract with the driver (and they almost NEVER do).

thank you so much for that,I will let her see these things and I'll just tell her to rip up future letters that are from them before even properly reading them.

Thank you both! :T:T:T:T
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    Just to add my voice to reassure her that it is an unenforceable invoice. Now I wouldn't be surprised if following communications from PE threaten with CCJs', which will expose the PPC for the numpties they are (CCJ not being relevent to Scotland).

Name the Morrisons branch and I may pop down to do some baiting, meanwhile I am sure a local newspaper will be happy to run a story on this scam. (my local paper are always very happy to be handed a story)
  • kwaks wrote: »
    Just to add my voice to reassure her that it is an unenforceable invoice. Now I wouldn't be surprised if following communications from PE threaten with CCJs', which will expose the PPC for the numpties they are (CCJ not being relevent to Scotland).

Name the Morrisons branch and I may pop down to do some baiting, meanwhile I am sure a local newspaper will be happy to run a story on this scam. (my local paper are always very happy to be handed a story)

thanks for this too. I will tell my nana all of the above.

It is Morrisons in Falkirk, do you live near there?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    has anyone from Scotland received these invoices and 'got away with it'? Or is it just Englad?

Don't worry at all - Apart from a slight difference in legal terminology and application, the law and its practical application is more or less the same.

Oh and I'm currently sitting on a Parking Eye tix from up North. Its been sitting at the "Final Notice" stage for weeks now and all their threats refer to English law and English court sanctions, which only makes it doubly unenforcable up here. :D
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    thanks for this too. I will tell my nana all of the above.

It is Morrisons in Falkirk, do you live near there?

Close enough, might have some fun with them.

Might see if the cars in the Falkirk Cruise want a new venue:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport