Why am I not losing weight?

Comments

• movinghelp
    movinghelp Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So end of another week and some good and bad progress.

Good, I managed to avoid alcohol for a whole week excluding one small glass of white wine. This is cut back from 3-4 drinks per day minimum. I also worked out on 4 of the 7 days, 2 strength, 2 cardio.

Bad, I cannot get my snacking under control. Meals are fine: greek yoghurt with berries and handful of muesli or parma ham and melon for breakfast. Salad or soup for lunch (although I am prone to skip lunch quite often, used to skip breakfast and just cannot adjust to 3 meals a day). Low carb, high protein dinner (steak/salmon/chicken and veg).

But the snacks!! Whole carton of pringles (1,121 cals), family bag of sensations (755 cals), majority of a carrot cake (1,305 cals) and 3 ice creams (1,045 cals). Works out as an additional 600 cals every day. All food I didn't buy but can't resist.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    What do you think happens metabolism wise in the body if you go from eating 800 calories a day too then having a binge day/meal drinks etc where you consume say 2000-3000 cals in one sitting. The body will store what ever you eat as fat.
    No your body won't store calories as fat just because you didn't eat much the previous day. 'Starvation mode' is a myth. Many people practice intermittent fasting now (the 5:3, the 16:8) and it doesn't destroy their metabolisms.
  • zolakesb
    zolakesb Posts: 24 Forumite
    U need also to determine if there is no medical condition attached to your non weight lose.
  • No your body won't store calories as fat just because you didn't eat much the previous day. 'Starvation mode' is a myth. Many people practice intermittent fasting now (the 5:3, the 16:8) and it doesn't destroy their metabolisms.

How do you know it doesn't destroy their matabolism? It certainly isn't good for controlling blood sugar levels.
  • movinghelp wrote: »

Good, I managed to avoid alcohol for a whole week excluding one small glass of white wine. This is cut back from 3-4 drinks per day minimum. I also worked out on 4 of the 7 days, 2 strength, 2 cardio.

Bad, I cannot get my snacking under control. Meals are fine: greek yoghurt with berries and handful of muesli or parma ham and melon for breakfast. Salad or soup for lunch (although I am prone to skip lunch quite often, used to skip breakfast and just cannot adjust to 3 meals a day). Low carb, high protein dinner (steak/salmon/chicken and veg).

But the snacks!! Whole carton of pringles (1,121 cals), family bag of sensations (755 cals), majority of a carrot cake (1,305 cals) and 3 ice creams (1,045 cals). Works out as an additional 600 cals every day. All food I didn't buy but can't resist.

I doubt you are eating enough fat, or possibly enough calories each day. Hence you end up eating snacks.

I am happy to assess your daily Kcal and macro requirement if you put up some stats. Age/current weight and amount of exercise.
  • Huskyrunner
    Huskyrunner Posts: 542 Forumite
    movinghelp wrote: »

Why dont you have a cheat day or say cheat 2 meals? Say a saturday night or friday night

If your snacking on junk constantly your not going too reach your goals
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • movinghelp
    movinghelp Posts: 276 Forumite
    Thanks guys, just to answer the questions I'm 25, 140lbs and currently exercising 4 times a week for 30 mins a time. I definitely think there's an issue with me not eating enough of the right things. I often eat just one meal a day and obviously then end up snacking.
  • Huskyrunner
    pack in exercising 4 times a week until you have diet consistency
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    I definitely think there's an issue with me not eating enough of the right things.
    Not forcibly. There are many reasons why people snacks. In your case, the problem seems to be that when you start, you can't stop. That is unlikely to be due to hunger as it was the case, you would stop after a reasonable amount of snacking, so maybe more psychological?

You say you don't buy the food, so how do you get to eat it? Is it a case of practicing telling your brain 'no' when you come in contact with it?

I totally agree that exercising 4 times a week is not going to have much counter balance effect to that level of snacking and you need to focus on why you binge on unhealthy snacks.
  • Huskyrunner
    edited 26 July 2016 at 3:10AM
    FBaby wrote: »
    Not forcibly. There are many reasons why people snacks. In your case, the problem seems to be that when you start, you can't stop. That is unlikely to be due to hunger as it was the case, you would stop after a reasonable amount of snacking, so maybe more psychological?

You say you don't buy the food, so how do you get to eat it? Is it a case of practicing telling your brain 'no' when you come in contact with it?

I totally agree that exercising 4 times a week is not going to have much counter balance effect to that level of snacking and you need to focus on why you binge on unhealthy snacks.

I totally agree with the comments made here.

I apologise if my previous comment was blunt but its like asking Angelina Jolie too get in tomb raider shape on a diet of Pringles and Chocolate. Or Paula Ratcliffe too go run a marathon after a kebab.

It will not happen snacking loads unless your eating the right snack meals. I eat 6-8 meals a day 3-4 of them are snack size meals. But thats down too my exercise regime the hours i work the breaks i get at work.

ie quark with a bit honey and some nuts

or and apple/banana chopped with nuts natty yoghurt

Some chirizo chopped with peri peri sauce and cottage cheese

etc etc
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income