Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• Eponym
    Eponym Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can anyone help?

I have just over £18000 in my ISA, currently all in the Halifax 3% internet ISA whilst I look for something better.

I would like to leave £5000 in Halifax so I continue to qualify for the prize draw but am happy to move the rest.

I am planning to buy a house in the next few years and have few savings other than those in the ISA so would prefer an instant access account in case I need to get at the money.

Unfortunately I don't have a lump sum to pay in as soon as I open a new account so I need one which will allow me to deposit additional sums as and when.

Most of the ISAs on the list are either fixed rate and non-instant access, don't allow transfers in or have minimum opening deposits.

Does anyone know if transfers in count towards the opening deposit?

It seems like my best bet might be the Nationwide 3.1%. I'd rather not have to open the bank account with it though as I already have 3 current accounts as it is.

Can anyone suggest one I may have missed?
  • samizdat
    samizdat Posts: 398 Forumite
    samizdat wrote: »
    I suppose, if the account is withdrawn, I can just opt not to fund the account, and open another one for the 2012/13 financial year.

Cross-posting from the AA Savings account-specific thread just to say that I have spoken to another CS rep today, who reassured me that the account is not going to be withdrawn before tomorrow, which means it is viable for 2012/13 subscriptions.

The account has been renamed the Postal Access ISA, but I was told the "postal" bit just relates to the application process, which has been changed now that we are close to the end of the financial year, and in fact the account will be capable of online operation.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    samizdat wrote: »
    Cross-posting from the AA Savings account-specific thread just to say that I have spoken to another CS rep today, who reassured me that the account is not going to be withdrawn before tomorrow, which means it is viable for 2012/13 subscriptions.

The account has been renamed the Postal Access ISA, but I was told the "postal" bit just relates to the application process, which has been changed now that we are close to the end of the financial year, and in fact the account will be capable of online operation.

Just in case I wanted to subscribe my next financial year's allowance in this, I applied for it a couple of weeks' ago to get the application form so it was ready to post off with cheque. I wonder if it matters that my "confirmation slip" now states Internet Access ISA (I may use BM's 2 year fixed rate at 4.05% instead, just hedging my bets).
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eponym wrote: »
    Can anyone help?

I have just over £18000 in my ISA, currently all in the Halifax 3% internet ISA whilst I look for something better.

I would like to leave £5000 in Halifax so I continue to qualify for the prize draw but am happy to move the rest.

I am planning to buy a house in the next few years and have few savings other than those in the ISA so would prefer an instant access account in case I need to get at the money.

Unfortunately I don't have a lump sum to pay in as soon as I open a new account so I need one which will allow me to deposit additional sums as and when.

Most of the ISAs on the list are either fixed rate and non-instant access, don't allow transfers in or have minimum opening deposits.

Does anyone know if transfers in count towards the opening deposit?

It seems like my best bet might be the Nationwide 3.1%. I'd rather not have to open the bank account with it though as I already have 3 current accounts as it is.

Can anyone suggest one I may have missed?

Hi Eponym,

Yes, transfers in can count as your deposit so you could transfer your £13k to NatWest (but note the 3.25% doesn't kick in until 16th April if you do the transfer now), Santander or Nationwide. Apparently you do have to have another account with Nationwide but it's supposed to be easy to open the cahbuilder account as the same tmie as arranging the ISA.

Make sure the ISA pot remaining at Halifax is redesignated to ensure their best instant access interest rate is being earned. I believe this can be done quickly over the 'phone.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Eponym
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Hi Eponym,

Yes, transfers in can count as your deposit so you could transfer your £13k to NatWest (but note the 3.25% doesn't kick in until 16th April if you do the transfer now), Santander or Nationwide. Apparently you do have to have another account with Nationwide but it's supposed to be easy to open the cahbuilder account as the same tmie as arranging the ISA.

Make sure the ISA pot remaining at Halifax is redesignated to ensure their best instant access interest rate is being earned. I believe this can be done quickly over the 'phone.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs

That helps enormously, thanks Spigs. My Halifax pot was transferred on to the 3% rate a few weeks ago so I'm covered there.

As far as I understand it, eacch of the Natwest, Santander and Nationwide accounts will allow money to be added in dribs and drab throughout the year, is that correct?
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Here are the latest updates to the ISAs list on page one.

Principality Building Society have launched issue 3 of their popular e-ISA, now paying an improved rate of 3.10% on balances of £1+. The rate includes a 1.30% bonus for 12 months from account opening. It allows transfers in of ISAs held with other providers.

I added the Cheshire BS Direct Cash ISA improved rate earlier this week. It pays 3.50% (increased from the previous rate of 3.35%). It does not accept transfers in. The rate includes a 2.50% bonus until 30/09/2013.

The AA have launched a new Postal Access ISA, paying 3.50%. It has a minimum opening deposit of £2,500 and replaces the Internet Access ISA, which has been withdrawn. The Postal Access ISA does not accept transfers in and the rate includes a 3.00% bonus for 12 months from the account opening date.

Saga have launched a new one year fixed rate ISA, paying 3.60%. It is available to those aged 50 or over only. It doesn't accept transfers in. It has a minimum opening deposit of just £1.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eponym wrote: »
    ... As far as I understand it, eacch of the Natwest, Santander and Nationwide accounts will allow money to be added in dribs and drab throughout the year, is that correct?

Yes, you have it right Eponym.

Also Kazza has updated the list on the first page and a new Principality easy access ISA at 3.1% has been added. You don't need any extra account with it and it is an online only account that accepts transfers in and you can continue to subscribe new money throughout the year up to the £5,640 maximum allowance.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Eponym
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Yes, you have it right Eponym.

Also Kazza has updated the list on the first page and a new Principality easy access ISA at 3.1% has been added. You don't need any extra account with it and it is an online only account that accepts transfers in and you can continue to subscribe new money throughout the year up to the £5,640 maximum allowance.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs

Thanks! I think the Santander 3.3% will be the best option given that transfers in count towards the opening deposit. :)
  • Stompa wrote: »
    Cheshire BS Direct Cash ISA (issue 1) rate increasing to 3.50%

https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx?newsarticleid=214165

I am really interested in opening with the Cheshire for 12/13 yet can only see opening information for this current tax year with the minimum opening allowance.

Can this account be opened with next years tax allowance in mind, say with a post-dated cheque (6th April) as I've already subscribed fully this year?
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2012 at 5:14PM
    In the list in post 1, for the Santander Direct 3.3% ISA, it says "Rate Guarantee? Yes"
    But, both the basic 0.05% and the 2.8% bonus are variable.
    So, should post 1 be changed to say no guarantee, if not, what is guaranteed?
    If I opened one of these, could they reduce the bonus rate to, say, 2% in a couple of months time?
    Would it be safer to go for one where the bonus is fixed for a year, such as the Halifax 3%? (Post 1 says this has no guarantee, but it is fixed for a year)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback