Dads home care

Comments

• dazza-mac
    dazza-mac Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Saffagal wrote: »
    If Dad's care is self-funded (he pays for it himself or you on his behalf) then you need to speak to the manager of the care provider who you are paying to provide a service.

If the care is funded, or part funded, by Social Services then you need to get onto the local SS and speak to a care manager to file a complaint against the agency for not adhering to the care plan.

It will be really helpful if you have a copy of his care plan and the dates when the plan is not being followed. The reasons why don't really matter - the care plan is what is deemed as the basic level of care to meet Dad's needs and needs to be adhered to.

yes this seems to be the most accurate description. As we get a bill from social services each month his care is part funded and it's Age UK who do the work and presumably social services top up Age UK's bill. I'm going to phone social services again this afternoon and see what's going on as they didn't get back to me.
  • dazza-mac
    dazza-mac Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Saffagal wrote: »
    Just an additional point, how many staff does Dad need when he is showering? If it is a single carer then it is inexcusable. If it is a double care visit, then (and I may be speaking completely out of turn as don't know how Dad transfers) has he had a recent assessment by an Occupational Therapist to ensure that he has the necessary equipment that he needs which may enable his showers to be safely managed by a sole carer.
    one carer helps
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    If it is an Extracare flat, I think all of them have wetrooms with level access showers, shower seating and handrails. The village where my daughter works was custom built and all flats and bungalows are built to the same standard.

In that case, why is Dad limited to 3 showers a week, and doesn't even get those? Who decided that 3 a week was plenty, and not one daily? Was Dad's opinion taken into account?

If only one carer is needed to 'help', and presumably just for safety, this is a very minimal requirement. Poor Dad!

If that was me, heads would roll if I didn't get my daily shower.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • In that case, why is Dad limited to 3 showers a week, and doesn't even get those? Who decided that 3 a week was plenty, and not one daily? Was Dad's opinion taken into account?

If only one carer is needed to 'help', and presumably just for safety, this is a very minimal requirement. Poor Dad!

If that was me, heads would roll if I didn't get my daily shower.

Extracare don't assess their residents - Social Services do. Extracare villages provide staff, but have to follow the care plan, the same as any other carer. If the care plan allows for only one careworker, then that is what will be provided, as this is all that is paid for.

In exceptional circumstances, the careworkers stay with their resident and call the team leaders to rearrange the calls that follow - so for example, if a resident has fallen, the careworker will stay until the ambulance arrives. During that time, they have to make sure that the resident is safe, warm and reassured that help is coming. They also have to contact the team leader (who then has to sort out the calls that the careworker should be going on to), and possibly contact family (although the team leader sometimes does this).

If it is an Extracare village (and you haven't confirmed this yet), then the staff should shower your dad ont he days set out in his care plan. If they don't, speak to the Head of Care or the village manager. Staff have to complete paperwork to say what they have done in each flat. You can read the paperwork. In addition, if your dad has not had a scheduled visit, or has had a visit on a day that he was not due one, it will be recorded because Extracare fobs show entry to flats on the system.

Is your dad in an Extracare village/flats?
  • margaretclare
    But who made that care plan and who decided that 3 showers a week was adequate? Some people - especially men - sweat more and need more than 3 showers a week. They get smelly, which is not nice for them or for anyone who comes into contact with them.

Not even getting the 3 showers laid down in the 'care plan' is even worse.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Three showers a week is pretty good, I think the standard is two here, or it used to be.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • But who made that care plan and who decided that 3 showers a week was adequate? Some people - especially men - sweat more and need more than 3 showers a week. They get smelly, which is not nice for them or for anyone who comes into contact with them.

Not even getting the 3 showers laid down in the 'care plan' is even worse.

I agree that three showers a week is inadequate, and when he doesn't receive those it isn't acceptable. Care plans are usually the responsibility of a social worker - but I bet they have more than three showers a week.

I know that where my daughter works, her shift is booked up from going in to going home. She has a set amount of time to spend in each flat/bungalow, and set tasks to do. She also has to fill in the paperwork, and if something extra needs doing, she has to either fit it in or report it to her team leader. She is fortunate in that everybody lives on the same site (she used to work in the community, which could mean going to different towns). however, there is little capapcity for additional work. If a care plan changes, and someone is added onto a rota or time spent with a resident is extended, it has to be fitted in. Thta's how she started work there originally - she was an agency worker employed to cover the additional work. She was lucky enough to secure permanant emplyment with the village at a later date.
  • margaretclare
    Ames wrote: »
    Three showers a week is pretty good, I think the standard is two here, or it used to be.

Two 'here'? Where is 'here'?

Again I ask - who decides? Is the person most concerned asked for his/her opinion?
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Two 'here'? Where is 'here'?

Again I ask - who decides? Is the person most concerned asked for his/her opinion?

Whoever is paying, usually.
  • Two 'here'? Where is 'here'?

I've no idea whether the person concerned is asked for their opinion. I'm not arguing with you that the care described is inadequate. I'm only trying to help. The OP needs to find out who the contract is with, who assessed his dad and wrote the care plan, who to complain to if the care plan isn't being adhered to. He could contact Social Services for more information.

I only responded because the OP mentioned Extracare and I thought that I might be able to help. I offered to ask my daughter, who works for Extracare, any questions that the OP might have, in case she can direct him to the appropriate person. If it isn't Extracare (and the OP has not yet confirmed if it is or not), then I probably can't help any further.

The 'here' that Ames refers to is probably the town where Ames lives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure