Dads home care

dazza-mac
dazza-mac Posts: 336 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi everyone,

I don't know if I've posted in the right place but...

Dad lives in an 'extra care sheltered accommodation flat'. It's an Anchor property that has carers who work on site from Age UK.

The problem is that dad is meant to have 3 showers a week. He's an amputee 85 year old in a wheelchair. His showers constantly get bumped due to a lack of staff on shift. What can I do? I keep telling them that dad needs his showers but it just keeps on happening. Half the time they don't even come along to inform him or apologize. Dad won't say anything!!

I know it's not the girls' fault. They can't help how many are on shift so it's a difficult situation as the 'Team Leader' has finished her shift by the time dad is meant to have his shower, then just fobs me off saying it won't happen again - it does!.

Dad got one shower last week and that was a day late. The way I see it Age UK got the contract as they said they could provide a service - but they're not.

Is there anything I can do apart from bang my head off the wall. Are Anchor in any way responsible or is my argument purely with Age UK. Is it Anchor that gave Age UK the contract or would that have been the local council/social services

I am going to contact the Head of Care from Age UK, but any other advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I don't completely understand the relationships here. Does your dad pay for his care and accommodation or towards it? If he does, who does he pay? That's the person you should be addressing the complaint to because that's the person who your dad has a contractual relationship with. If he doesn't pay for his care, then I think you should be taking this up with social services rather than either Anchor or Age Uk.

In addition to all this though, it may be worth making a complaint to the CQC about the lack of care provided. Have a look at their website here http://www.cqc.org.uk

Finally, you could write to the local councillor covering the area or the local MP and ask if they can ask some difficult questions
  • Is it an Extracare flat in a village run by the charity Extracare? Anchor are presumably the local social housing. I'm not sure where Age UK come in, though, as Extracare employ their own staff. In the village where my daughter works, Social Services assess how much care is needed for each resident. I'm continuing this post on the assumption that it is an Extracare village.

There should be a care plan in your dad's flat, stating what calls are needed each day, which days his showers are due, etc. Staff should be completing paperwork each time they access the flat - even if it is to say that your dad is not there. This paperwork can then be checked against his care plan.

Your first contact should be with the Head of Care. You should request a reason why your dad is not being showered on the days that his care plan states. If it is lack of staff, then ask who is funding your dad's care, as you wish to take up the matter with them - this should hopefully get things moving. It would be wise to know who is providing the funding anyway. I would also ask for a copy of the Complaints Procedure - even if you don't use it, it is there for your to refer to if you want to instigate a formal complaint in the future.

If it is an Extracare village, here is the link to their website - there are lists of their villages and schemes, so if you're not sure, you might be able to find the name of your dad's scheme here:

https://www.extracare.org.uk/

I can ask my daughter for further advice if you need me to - just let me know. She will know their policies far better than me.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Where does your Dad have his showers - in his own flat? Has he got a properly adapted bathroom with wheelchair access and a seat in the shower? What about hand-rails?

We had our bathroom completely re-done earlier this year and there is a possibility that my DH may end up with above-knee amputation.

I've just had revision of total hip replacement and I think I'd die if I couldn't have my daily shower via level access shower cubicle. Bliss!
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • It may be a bit like a situation with my son, who has ASD. The National Autistic Society are an autism charity, but also provide PA/carer services. Unfortunately when they were approached by my son's social worker, we found their service to be much higher in cost than other agencies, and they were very inflexible. Their being a charity with a good reputation doesn't necessarily mean all their paid for services are the best for their client group. We ended up going elsewhere.
  • Where does your Dad have his showers - in his own flat? Has he got a properly adapted bathroom with wheelchair access and a seat in the shower? What about hand-rails?

If it is an Extracare flat, I think all of them have wetrooms with level access showers, shower seating and handrails. The village where my daughter works was custom built and all flats and bungalows are built to the same standard.
  • Saffagal
    Saffagal Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If Dad's care is self-funded (he pays for it himself or you on his behalf) then you need to speak to the manager of the care provider who you are paying to provide a service.

If the care is funded, or part funded, by Social Services then you need to get onto the local SS and speak to a care manager to file a complaint against the agency for not adhering to the care plan.

It will be really helpful if you have a copy of his care plan and the dates when the plan is not being followed. The reasons why don't really matter - the care plan is what is deemed as the basic level of care to meet Dad's needs and needs to be adhered to.
  • Saffagal
    Saffagal Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just an additional point, how many staff does Dad need when he is showering? If it is a single carer then it is inexcusable. If it is a double care visit, then (and I may be speaking completely out of turn as don't know how Dad transfers) has he had a recent assessment by an Occupational Therapist to ensure that he has the necessary equipment that he needs which may enable his showers to be safely managed by a sole carer.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is Dad happy for you to deal with this on his behalf? I am not sure how far you can take it if he doesn't want to pursue it.

If he is happy for you to deal with it, get him to give you written authority stating that the care co. etc. can discuss the matter with you.

Then write keeping a copy of the letter, to the company with whom he has the contract.

Try to keep it as clear and factual (not emotional) as you can.

Set out specifically
    - what the contract / care plan says about number of visits / showers
    - what has actually been happening (as this is a recurring problem, I would probably do a bulleted list of the past 4-6 weeks setting out the dates on which visits were supposed to take place, when they actually took place, and when visits were cancelled (with him being informed) or people simply failed to attend.

Then be clear about what you want to happen now (i.e. confirmation that he will get the appropriate number of visits and that in the event a visit is not possible, that he will be informed in a timely way, and the visits rearranged for the following day and flagged as a priority.

Ask what steps the organisation has in place to record when visits are missed and whether, when visits are missed, they are then prioritised the next day, or whether they are expected to be fitted around the existing jobs for that day (which might explain long delays), and what safeguards are in place to ensure that consecutive visits are not missed, resulting in extended periods with no vists / assistance.

Ask for a refund of fees to reflect the fact that the full service paid for was not provide and ask for a copy of their formal complaints process.

If you already have a copy of their complaints process, or can find one, follow it, and reference it in the letter (e.g. I look forward to receiving a substantive response within 28 days in accordance with your complaints policy)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • dazza-mac
    Nicki wrote: »
    I don't completely understand the relationships here. Does your dad pay for his care and accommodation or towards it? If he does, who does he pay? That's the person you should be addressing the complaint to because that's the person who your dad has a contractual relationship with. If he doesn't pay for his care, then I think you should be taking this up with social services rather than either Anchor or Age Uk.

In addition to all this though, it may be worth making a complaint to the CQC about the lack of care provided. Have a look at their website here http://www.cqc.org.uk

Finally, you could write to the local councillor covering the area or the local MP and ask if they can ask some difficult questions

It's quite confusing as it's hard to get anyone to verify things. Basically it's Age UK who turn up to do the care, but every month we get a bill from social services so I suspect dad pays towards his care.

I rang social services who said they would get someone to ring me back to let me know if I need to inform them that I put in a complaint against Age UK. they haven't got back yet.

The head of care from Age UK rang me the other day to acknowledge the complaint and will be 'investigating'.

I will be contacting social services again to chase them up as to whether I'm complaining about the right people - but as I say, it's Age UK who physically do the work.
  • dazza-mac
    Where does your Dad have his showers - in his own flat? Has he got a properly adapted bathroom with wheelchair access and a seat in the shower? What about hand-rails?

We had our bathroom completely re-done earlier this year and there is a possibility that my DH may end up with above-knee amputation.

I've just had revision of total hip replacement and I think I'd die if I couldn't have my daily shower via level access shower cubicle. Bliss!

Yes he has them in his own flat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport