Leaving speech for colleagues

Hi

I'm doing a leaving speech for one of my colleagues next month. Never done one before and looking for some tips. He has been here for over 30 years and I've worked with him for the last 3. Any tips? I tried looking in google but did not find anything to crib off!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It depends on what he wants. Personally, I would want nothing more than a quick handshake and "thanks for all your work, good luck, here's a bottle of whiskey", and out the door. A full blown speech would have me out in the car park before you could blink.

Whereas some people will want bunting, flowers, a full review of their time at work and tears from all around.

If you don't know, I'd lean towards the first.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    First step would be to get stories from those who have known or worked with him for longer. Also his history with the organisation - 'started as teaboy and now he owns the place' sort of thing.
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    make sure you get the gossip on when he was having it away with the tealady in the stationery cupboard.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Avoid absolutely anything that will offend, and unless you are great at telling jokes, don't go for humour - it usually offends someone!
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I done the speech for a colleague who retired last Summer (he was and still is a smashing bloke and I miss him at work even a year later). In essence a short speech full of platitudes and loads of us me included holding the tears back. Followed by presenting the goodbye gifts.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've done a few short speeches for people leaving on maternity leave, moving teams or leaving after just a few years of service. These aren't too bad but I once had to lead the speech for someone retiring after 30ish years.

I got HR to send me their history in the company, date of joining and departments and roles they'd had, which I used in the speech and reminded people of old names and teams. It could also be funny as in finance we made jokes about doing the ledgers before computers so your colleague may have worked in departments that are no longer needed due to changing times and technology that might be amusing now. I then got a couple of people who had known her for a long time, we're confident public speakers, and worked with her in the past to come and say a few works and reminisce. I asked others around the company for anecdotes and incorporated a couple into my speech along with lots of thanks and praise for their hard work including some specifics for things they were good at or had done. Got the big boss to give thanks and best wishes for her retirement plans and then presented gifts.

We invited her spouse and ex - colleagues from other departments to come for the presentation and then after most dissapated but there were lots of individuals who stayed to chat with her, reminisce and wish her good luck. It seemed to go okay.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • It depends on what he wants. Personally, I would want nothing more than a quick handshake and "thanks for all your work, good luck, here's a bottle of whiskey", and out the door. A full blown speech would have me out in the car park before you could blink.

Whereas some people will want bunting, flowers, a full review of their time at work and tears from all around.

If you don't know, I'd lean towards the first.

We all want a no fuss exit, but unfortunately, it never happens, not like you have a say in it, you will get gifts and such and a speech will be expected.

We have to do it for our birthdays, never mind leaving.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've just left 3 weeks ago. Had everyone gather round my desk whilst someone said some nice words. Couldn't tell you what they said as I was mortified. Not my thing at all.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Short and sweet is the key. No one wants to much attention. Just a genuine thanks and a firm hand shake will suffice
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When a colleague left work, a manager read from a script they got from the internet (which you can personalise with the person's name) (which they handed out). When you first read it it is so sincere, about how good they have been but the last line says you only need to read every other line which gives it a very different meaning, it was very funny. I've tried finding it but can't but I'm sure someone else will here.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure