successful Barclays Claim- can anyone decipher this?

I have just received an upheld letter from Barclays relating to a complaint I made for PPI on a Barclays Select Account I held from 1998 to 2008 for a refund of £4395

In the letter it breaks the refund down and also talks about a rejected insurance claim I made in 2000

The exact wording is
" The refund on this loan represents the potential calue of your insurance claim/s togehter with statutory compensation. I have calculated your refund in this way as it exceeds the offer of a compensation payment based on average PPI redress for this product.

Potential value of rejected claim
The potential value is based on an insurance claim duration of 7.1 for the claim made on 11 Feb 2000 under the accident and sickeness section of your policy multiplied by the amount you could claim each month. If you would have claimed for a longer period please contact us to provide further details of your claim "

I suffered a heart attack and was off work for some while. I don't recall but I must have made a claim and was rejected, but I dont know if it was rejected because it was due to a pre existing condition ( I had a previous heart attack in 1995) or an other reason.

What I dont understand is their wording where they say their value was based upon a claim duration of 7.1. and dont know if I could have claimed longer as I dont know what my original claim was for

If I've just misunderstood their letter then can someone explain ?alternatively I can contact them directly to get clarity.

Comments

• It sounds more as if you could have claimed but didn't.

Did you reference your heart attack in your complaint?

If not, then only the bank can tell you for sure and the forum can only guess.
  • This is my 3rd upheld complaint against Barclays. The first two details were taken over the phone and initially processed by their standard customer services team. I received a payment within a week with a following letter saying my complaint had been upheld as I had not been provided with enough information to make an informed decision. This was despite me giving no reason for my complaint in the first instance , I just gave my details to the operator over the phone who confirmed I had been sold PPI and to wait to see what happened once he completed some paperwork.

The claim Im referring to was done online, I found more paperwork and realised I had potentially another account to make a complaint against. This time I rang their dedicated PPI line and they gave me the account details I needed to complete an online complaint form.

I didnt reference to any claims I had made as I couldnt remember that I had.

I appreciate that the forum can only guess, but I had wondered if anyone had had similar confusing letters using the phrase 'claim duration of 7.1'. 7.1 what? Months?, years? . I will ring them and see what they say
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The wording sounds like they considered your complaint and have actually paid out as if you had made a claim as that would have been worth more than a refund of the premiums, if anything it sounds like they did you a favour giving you more!
  • I guess so, I've just rung them and asked what the confusing paragraph means.

The operator didnt know, put me on hold and spoke to their supervisor who also didnt know. They are emailing the case worker and trying to get an answer for me.

I am happy if they are doing me a favour, but in plain English would be better
  • peterr_ibg
    peterr_ibg Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Received a call back today. The 7.1 refers to 7 months and one day. They couldn't locate the detail of why my claim was rejected and the 7.1 figure is the average period that they pay for successful claims.

They are suggesting that if my claim would have been longer than that then I could provide the information and claim for more.

another part of their letter states

"Our records show that you made a claim on your PPI poilicy that was rejected. In cases where we rejected insurance claims that you may have reasonably have expected to be succeeful, we compare the potential value of those insurance claims ( had they been successful with the value of your PPI refund and we pay the higher amount"

As mentioned previously, I cant remember why they rejected my original claim and given that they cant find records either , so will leave it as it stands.

Overall I am happy with the outcome, having now received nearly £8,500 from Barclays in the last 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure