Barclays student account - after you graduate?

Hi, I graduated in 2013 and I'm still on the Barclay's student additions account with an overdraft of up to £2000.

I've been wondering about this for a while. Are they not supposed to switch you over to the graduate account after you graduate, then reduce your overdraft year by year? I received no correspondence about this from them.

Thanks

Comments

• Anyone any ideas on this?

Currently I can't ring up Barclays so can't find out
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know much about student accounts as they didn't really exist when I was an undergraduate, many years ago, but from what I see on here you wouldn't be the first person who has been left with their student account long after graduating. The banks seem to be a bit slapdash about identifying who should be switched to a graduate account and when it should happen. If it's advantageous to you to stay on the student account then I'd let sleeping dogs lie until Barclays bring it up.
  • I've still got my barclays student overdraft limit 13 years after graduating. I have kept it for just in case of emergency (but would pay 9.9% between £500 and £3000) I have got a graduate additions account (I don't know if they do this any more) with a £500 interest free overdraft. When I popped into my bank recently they told me if you have a normal Barclays Bank account they will only give you £200 max interest free overdraft!

After I graduated they did reduce the interest free bit of my overdraft gradually over 2 years I think.

I would wait for them to contact you!
  • Anyone else have any experience of keeping a graduate account long after graduating? I cannot find a definitive answer on how long you are able to keep this type of account?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2017 at 1:33PM
    According to their website they should have upgraded your account from a Student to a Graduate (or Higher Education Account....an account designed for Graduates they say)
    If you have an existing Student Additions Account with Barclays, your account will be automatically upgraded to the Higher Education Account following your graduation. We will contact you to let you know when this is happening.

If they haven't contacted you I would keep it until they do if there's a fee free portion to the overdraft. ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family