Skincare & make up for Rosacea ??

Comments

• HH62
    HH62 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glad to have found this thread, it's nice to remember I'm not the only one with :mad::mad: rosacea.

What I find is that for me it seems to be very random. A product that my skin is ok with one day, can cause a big flare up the next.
    I'm currently trying to sort out my skincare routine (again) as I've been having a lot of bad flare ups recently. I seem to be reacting to everything..It's very disheartening and my bad skin is really affecting my self esteem. When I was younger I had beautiful, flawless, porcelain skin....
    Trying OCM again, fingers crossed it will work.

RachieB, please let us know how you get on with your Dermocalm cream
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :( It's annoying isn't it
    I seem to get a reaction from my own sweat ( gross I know!) as when I am in the gym my face gets itchy and sore where I have been sweating on my nose / under my eyes etc :(

<sigh> oh to have nice skin

The dermocalm seems good so far,can also be used on children so I have been using on my son as he had some dry flaky patches on his face and arm ,and it's worked well,soft as a babies bum :D
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

I've heard some of you mention using comfrey and I was wondering if that is as a shop bought product or something homemade? I've tried prescription lotion and antibiotics for my rosacea but they didn't help. I had kind of given up and decided to accept it but this might be worth a go.

I know it has healing properties but I'm wary of using anything too heavy or greasy on my skin as that would give me normal spots as well as redness!

Any recommendations would be very welcome!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • MrsNoonar
    MrsNoonar Posts: 22 Forumite
    I've read through the rules and I'm hoping this is allowed, as I'm asking for beauty rather than medical advice.

I have seen my GP and he thinks I probably have acne rosacea. He has prescribed me Metrogel (0.75% Metronidazole) but I've been advised not to use it yet as it is not safe in strong sunlight. He didn't have any advice to give on face wash or moisturiser, as it is "not really a medical issue"!

Since the rash has started I have found that most of my current products worsen it. My skin has always been sensitive so I rarely use make up. I have previously been using the oil cleansing method every night but I think the hot water may be making my face worse, possibly the oil too. I have a sensitive skin moisturiser that works okay and doesn't seem to be aggravating my skin too much. It does make my face sweat when I put it on though so I'd like to try something else when it runs out!

I have been washing my face with just water for the past few days but I now have a few spots (not sure if these are from the rosacea or from me not washing my face with anything!). I'd really like to find something gentle that I can use on my face without it flaring up again. And preferably something in a lower price range if it at all possible because I'm on quite a tight budget!

Can anyone recommend anything gentle that they have been using to wash their face? :) ideally I'd like to use something quite natural, that's what first attracted me to OCM, but I don't really know where to start!

Thank you very much for your help! :)
    Sealed pot challenge 5 #1822 :)
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There is a website run by 2 acne-rosacea sufferers (https://www.acne-rosacea.co.uk). There's a lot of advice on there, and they also do their own cleansers, etc.

I have a similar problem with my skin (some doctors have said it's acne-rosacea, others it's adult acne) and I've found Avene products to be really soothing, especially the water. I'm also a fan of Green People's no-scent range. None of these are very cheap, unfortunately, but they're not extortionately expensive either.

HTH
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    There is a lot of info on this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=776605&highlight=rosacea

My experience was that the hot water of the OCM didn't help me either. I think the origins mega mushroom stuff is quite good although I'm not entirely keen on the texture of it. Aveeno is also nice. Though I'm fortunate that I'm not too sensitive or allergic.

I didn't know that about sun and metrogel, which I've been using again lately thanks to a flare up. I only use it at night because of the lovely 'skin flaking off' look that I get with it :) and I do wear moisturiser with an spf but I will be more careful about this so thank you!
  • MrsNoonar
    Brilliant thank you j.e.j. - I shall look at all of those! I've used Green People sun cream but hadn't thought to look at their other products :)
  • MrsNoonar
    Thanks belfastgirl23 - sorry I crossposted with you. I'll have a look at those too.

I'm not sure why you can't wear the metrogel in the sunlight, or what qualifies as "strong sunlight" but better safe than sorry eh! I was thinking of using it just at night while it's so sunny so that it can start working, especially if it's going to make my skin flaky! :)
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    MrsNoonar wrote: »
    Thanks belfastgirl23 - sorry I crossposted with you. I'll have a look at those too.

I'm not sure why you can't wear the metrogel in the sunlight, or what qualifies as "strong sunlight" but better safe than sorry eh! I was thinking of using it just at night while it's so sunny so that it can start working, especially if it's going to make my skin flaky! :)

It doesn't make your skin flaky, the gel itself peels off so you have the effect of peeling skin (without it actually being peeling skin). If you're old enough you'll remember those face masks that you used to peel off. It's like that :) Beautifully attractive as you can imagine :o my experience is that I just can't wear it at all in the daytime, I don't know if anyone else has managed it but it just ends up looking crazy....
  • MrsNoonar
    It doesn't make your skin flaky, the gel itself peels off so you have the effect of peeling skin (without it actually being peeling skin). If you're old enough you'll remember those face masks that you used to peel off. It's like that :) Beautifully attractive as you can imagine :o my experience is that I just can't wear it at all in the daytime, I don't know if anyone else has managed it but it just ends up looking crazy....

Oh I see, sorry! Yes, I think I'd better just try that at night. I wonder why they make a product that does that and then instruct people to apply it twice daily. I'll have a go with it tonight and see what happens. My face seems to be getting worse again. Typically it got better this morning just in time for my appointment, my skin massively calmed down and I was worried he would think I was completely mad! :o that was the other reason he suggested I wait to start using the cream.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport