PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    meg72 wrote: »
    Just had a PM from MSE Badger saying I have been money tipped and awarded a badge.

Anyone heard of this before as I havent.

Ok my badge is the trolly sign under the number of posts, cool

Is it for your rubber chicken Meg? It's something of yours that's been mentioned in the MSE email.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yay, payday tomorrow so I have declared for July and will now make myself at home here :-)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Florenceem wrote: »
    NSD here.
    I remember School holidays with my 6 children. I had 3 boys/3 girls - eldest was 11 when last one born. I took them to the beach as a cheap day out when the youngest was out of a pram and into a buggy. We walked there and back - carrying a fold up chair/windbreak and beach toys + food etc.
    We also went to the park for picnics. Then there were trips to the rec - swings/slides/roundabout.
    I was forced to go onto benefits when youngest was 1 year old - husband had a serious illness.
    I made ice lollies/yogurts and baked. I could not afford to visit the ice cream van when it came round - bought packs of cornets/tub of ice cream. Children had choice of squirty toppings and sprinkles to use as well.
    When the youngest was old enough - all 7 of us went out on bikes for the day - took a picnic. My husband rarely went anywhere with us!

Mine have to go to the park alot and have shop bought ice creams. I am hoping it stays dry for the next six weeks, so at least we manage some fresh air. You did well Flo, as kids these days are so unappreciative and take for granted the cost of things; thankfully mine know times are hard.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Hello to the new people joining. Hope everyone manages to get their budgets to what they are happy with.

Still in July till end but will aim for £250 for August please. Its a 5 week month for us plus with it being the school holidays we will have the grand children more often. It looks like I am settling on £250 for a 5 week month and £210-220 on a 4 week month. Which ever its 50% lower than before I did this challenge. I also desperately need to use up some stock but not sure if joining the 'store cupboard & freezer' challenge will work along side the 2nd purse challenge. Have to think about that one.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • can i join please, well rejoin i did participate a while back but fell by the wayside. really want to start getting reorganised again.

i am aiming for £600 for august running from 2nd august until 30th august.

we are a family of 8, comprising 3 adults, 2 teens and 3 younger kids with 2 dogs to cater to as well .

i am hoping to come in under budget this month as have recently started frequenting aldi and i have also got my approved food order being delivered tomorrow which will go in store cupboard for next month. i have also being doing a bit of couponing and have stocked up on some special offers which have been stashed away.
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Is it for your rubber chicken Meg? It's something of yours that's been mentioned in the MSE email.

I am not sure as I cannot find the email.
    Slimming World at target
  • Morning All

£300 for me for August GC please :).

Off to make myself another cuppa before I get going. On annual leave until next Tuesday and seem to have had no trouble adopting a more relaxed pace.

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Puddickle
    Puddickle Posts: 34 Forumite
    can i join please, well rejoin i did participate a while back but fell by the wayside. really want to start getting reorganised again.

i am aiming for £600 for august running from 2nd august until 30th august.

we are a family of 8, comprising 3 adults, 2 teens and 3 younger kids with 2 dogs to cater to as well .

i am hoping to come in under budget this month as have recently started frequenting aldi and i have also got my approved food order being delivered tomorrow which will go in store cupboard for next month. i have also being doing a bit of couponing and have stocked up on some special offers which have been stashed away.

Chocolatebum - if you have started frequenting Aldi, don't forget to buy the Daily Mirror today (50p), and get your £5 off a £40 Aldi shop voucher.
    CC debt £2,528.65/£31,193.22 - Slowly plugging away
  • Puddickle wrote: »
    Chocolatebum - if you have started frequenting Aldi, don't forget to buy the Daily Mirror today (50p), and get your £5 off a £40 Aldi shop voucher.

thanks puddickle, we are in scotland so think it is normally our daily record that has it, trying to bribe one of the kids to go to the local shops for it so i can plan my list before i go lol
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    I'd like to try out for a £100 this month if i'm not too late? This is from Tuesday 30th July until 27th August. We have a freezer full of meat and am aiming for Lidl this Saturday to stock up on beef mince. We have a load in our cupboards to use up so the money this month will be to replenish staples and then for fresh bits. This is for a family with three very hungry boys under 7!!!!

Wish me luck...
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills