Is it important to have a life of your own?

Comments

• OP please loosen up, start having some fun and stop taking life so seriously.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Do you know what? If I came into some money, I'd blow some of it on the trip of a lifetime!!

Life is short and you'll never please everyone else with your choices. Someone will always think you should have been more thrifty/less impulsive or be around to remind you that you should have done something differently but when you're old and infirm, past having any fun whatsoever, wouldn't it be great to look back and think "Hey, I had some fun!'

I've a failed marriage but 3 great kids. I had to sell my house (everything I'd worked for) but my kids have great memories. I've had a crappy illness all my life but I'm still in the game.

Why strive to be 'conventional' or 'sensible' in life - we're a long time dead!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • OH will shortly be the age his mum was when she died far far too young.

We went on a wonderful holiday recently to celebrate & yes we probably could have had an equally enjoyable holiday somewhere far cheaper but it was what he wanted to do.

OP marriage & having kids isn't for everyone you know
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    I agree with primrose. This friend of yours is living in the moment which is alright for now. But 10 or 20 years later what then?. If he wants the life of a beach bum or cad it's ok when he is young but when he gets to middle age or if he is lucky enough to enter his twilight age he will be a washed up and full of self pity do you really want to carry the can for him then?. Be his friend by all means but not his fall guy. I wish you all the best in your decisions.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2017 at 10:26PM
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    I agree with primrose. This friend of yours is living in the moment which is alright for now. But 10 or 20 years later what then?. If he wants the life of a beach bum or cad it's ok when he is young but when he gets to middle age or if he is lucky enough to enter his twilight age he will be a washed up and full of self pity do you really want to carry the can for him then?. Be his friend by all means but not his fall guy. I wish you all the best in your decisions.

Wow, thats a huge assumption to make ! He might be a millionaire when he gets to middle age, he might not, it's his business, no-one elses, he can spend his money how he likes, if the OP is a true friend, he'll be there for him whatever comes his way.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

It's getting to a point where everyone around him is getting married, having children......

This made me laugh out loud!

You talk about spending 7k in ibiza as bad yet you go on to list two of life's biggest money sucking "black holes" in the same post.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Nobody knows what will happen in 5 years or 10.
    He may have been hit by a double decker bus or he may have won the lottery.

Why isn't it OK to live the life of a beach bum when you're middle aged - if that is what he wants?

Maybe when he's in his twilight years he may look back and think 'Hey! I've had a really good life'.

How this person lives his life now is only going to be an issue for the OP if his friend comes a-knocking for handouts.
    And the OP can always so 'no' if that happens.

As with the majority of posters, I think it's none of Andrew's business.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Andrew, being married with a kid on the way hasn't made you happy so why advocate it for a friend ?

If I didn't have responsibilities and 7k fell in my lap, I'd be off like a shot, travelling and partying like there was no tomorrow and wouldn't be content till every last penny was spent on just having a good time
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gosh Mr Ryan, yet again a post that is so much more about you than your friend.

I always wait when you start a topic then read it later and as usual you have said your thing and not come back to comment on the replies you have.

I can tell you are young but your really are rather sanctimonious and egotistical. You do believe you can tell you wife, family and friends how they should live their lives be it work,rest or play you know it all.

Then you wonder why you are not invited to weddings, parties, birthdays etc.

Time for some major reflection on yourself Mr Ryan. Time to stop looking at others and condemning their actions. Time to sit down and work out what would really make you happy because you certainly aren't happy now. You may think you have it all, house, car, nice watch, wifey, baby on the way BUT ask yourself why you are not happy.

Peaceful introspection needed Mr Ryan.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'll bet that deep down , He is far happier than you appear to be, For the record I dropped everything 12 years ago, quit a good career , sold up and moved to an island in the sun, most of my friends who at the time thought I was mad , now wish that they'd done it too before being tied down with mortgage, kids etc . Does your friend know that you are posting this ?? , I rather think not !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure